LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 409 users in the forums

"Nose Tackle of the future"

• sfout
  • Veteran
I've been looking at our NT situation and if we let Franklin go I am not all that convinced that RJF could be the starter we need. Luckily for us there are solid NTs in almost every round this year.

Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor
Height: 6-4. Weight: 337
Projected Round (2011):1-2
Pro: Looked absolutely amazing at the senior bowl, had speed that 330 pounder shouldn't have.
Con: Yo-yo weight would have to be watched

Jerrell Powe, NT, Ole Miss
Height: 6-2. Weight: 330.
Projected 40 Time: 5.35
Projected Round (2011): 2-3
Pro: Was the #1 NT heading into last years draft before he opted to stay in school.
Con: Age is the only real knock I can find, he is already 24.

Sione Fua, NT, Stanford
Height: 6-2. Weight: 307.
Projected 40 Time: 5.18
Projected Round (2011): 3-5
Pro: For our sake he would have an easy transition going to the same DC as college.
Con: I've read he lacks any power to penetrate and move the point of attack backwards.

Ian Williams, NT, Notre Dame
Height: 6-2. Weight: 311.
Projected 40 Time: 5.11
Pro: Double edged sword of short reach gives him great punching power but also leads to the con.
con: Limited reach kept him from making plays laterally

Kenrick Ellis, NT, Hampton
Height: 6-5. Weight: 340.
Projected 40 Time: 5.41.
Pro: All around physical tools and skill set that a NT needs to succeed
Con: Work ethic concern might out way his skillset upside

Say we let Franklin go which of these guys would be a good fit for us? Personally I want a big, powerful NT capable of moving the line so Taylor or Ellis get my vote even though they are opposite ends of the spectrum.
Phil Taylor! We need a big nasty Casey Hampton like beast in the middle, who will demand a double team on size alone.
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Phil Taylor! We need a big nasty Casey Hampton like beast in the middle, who will demand a double team on size alone.

Cosigned.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Cosigned.

I just cant see Taylor as a Niner. No way you take him at #7 and I think he will be gone before our 2nd round pick.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Cosigned.

I just cant see Taylor as a Niner. No way you take him at #7 and I think he will be gone before our 2nd round pick.

Yeah but I wouldn't mind trading back if we could get like Phil Taylor and Kerrigan, Ayers, or Houston at OLB.

Cosigned.

Yep... and our plethora of mid-late round picks should provide us with the necessary information to move up for him if necessary.
The question is, does Fangio want a big ugly for a NT (traditional 2-gap), or does he want a quicker, penetrating-type of NT for his 3-4 (1-gap)?

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/01/fangios-former.html

Quote:
Fangio's former pupils say he likes movement, aggression

Nose tackle Sione Fua weighed in at 307 pounds at today's Senior Bowl, which is much lighter than a typical NFL nose tackle but perfect for one who plays in Vic Fangio's 3-4 system. How do we know that? Because Fua was Fangio's nose tackle last year at Stanford.

Fua said Fangio, the 49ers new defensive coordinator, didn't want him to be an immovable object in his defensive scheme. "He'd move us around a lot, and we'd run a lot of stunts," said Fua. He also said that Fangio's defense was more of a hybrid 3-4 and that the Cardinal also played a lot of 4-3 formations last year.

Fua sounds a lot like the 49ers' current nose tackle, Aubrayo Franklin, who isn't known as much for his size as he is for his quickness and savvy. Both Fua and Owen Marecic, who played both inside linebacker and fullback at Stanford, spoke highly of Fangio today. They said that he was aggressive with his schemes and that he was constantly tinkering with them to better take advantage of specific opponents. The key to their success at Stanford, they said, was movement and variation.

Fua said that when Fangio first arrived, he showed them films of NFL defenses he had coached, especially the Ravens defense. Fangio was a special assistant to Ravens coach John Harbaugh before joining Jim Harbaugh at Stanford in 2010.
I see the 9ers working it out with Franklin and if they don't they will use the tag. In a 3-4 the NT is too important and we don't have much depth behind AF. We need to look at spending a pick in the middle rounds to solidify the future at this key position.
Phil Taylor in the 3rd?
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Phil Taylor in the 3rd?

According to DraftScout.com's current value board, we would be lucky to get him in the second. Most likely, because 16 teams now play the 3-4.

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
The question is, does Fangio want a big ugly for a NT (traditional 2-gap), or does he want a quicker, penetrating-type of NT for his 3-4 (1-gap)?

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/01/fangios-former.html

Quote:
Fangio's former pupils say he likes movement, aggression

Nose tackle Sione Fua weighed in at 307 pounds at today's Senior Bowl, which is much lighter than a typical NFL nose tackle but perfect for one who plays in Vic Fangio's 3-4 system. How do we know that? Because Fua was Fangio's nose tackle last year at Stanford.

Fua said Fangio, the 49ers new defensive coordinator, didn't want him to be an immovable object in his defensive scheme. "He'd move us around a lot, and we'd run a lot of stunts," said Fua. He also said that Fangio's defense was more of a hybrid 3-4 and that the Cardinal also played a lot of 4-3 formations last year.

Fua sounds a lot like the 49ers' current nose tackle, Aubrayo Franklin, who isn't known as much for his size as he is for his quickness and savvy. Both Fua and Owen Marecic, who played both inside linebacker and fullback at Stanford, spoke highly of Fangio today. They said that he was aggressive with his schemes and that he was constantly tinkering with them to better take advantage of specific opponents. The key to their success at Stanford, they said, was movement and variation.

Fua said that when Fangio first arrived, he showed them films of NFL defenses he had coached, especially the Ravens defense. Fangio was a special assistant to Ravens coach John Harbaugh before joining Jim Harbaugh at Stanford in 2010.

I'm sure Fangio worked with what he had at Stanford. He didn't have the typical NT, so he used stunts, mixed in the 43 base, etc.

That doesn't mean he had what he considered the perfect personnel base at Stanford. He was only there for one year. That's not really enough time to impact recruiting & the roster. So I don't think we know enough to point to Fua as his model for NT.

He's a disciple of Dom Capers. In his last three stops, Dom has used massive NT's as well as several 330+lb DE's. In Houston, he immediately added guys like Gary Walker & Howard Green. In Miami, he had 340lb Keith Traylor. In Green Bay, their first pick after hiring Capers was BJ Raji, even though they already had 340lb starting DT Ryan Pickett on the roster.

There's no real way to know what Fangio wants at this point, and I'm sure he'll adapt to whatever he's given here, too. If he follows his mentor, I'm guessing he'll want at least two massive players on the DL. But that doesn't mean Baalke is going to make that a draft priority.
kenrick could be a good option. work ethic is always a question but with the right coaching and actually having to earn your paycheck could change that around
Since when is Taylor a 1st or 2nd rd pick? Hes a 2 down lineman with serious stamina issues lol. 3rd definately maybe 2nd if he kills it on the bench press.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'm gonna stick with Jerrell Powe and Sione Fua as my two picks as future 9er NT's.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Cosigned.

Yeah but I wouldn't mind trading back if we could get like Phil Taylor and Kerrigan, Ayers, or Houston at OLB.

To get those two with our first two picks would be a DREAM
Share 49ersWebzone