LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 261 users in the forums

Cam Newton-Scouting Report

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I wouldn't be livid if we drafted Mallet or Gabbert, but I just don't trust many of these 1st round QB's. I would rather draft a QB in the 2nd-4th rounds.

Who? One of the following: Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick, or Pat Devlin.

Cosigned. Dalton is a guy I like a lot while I would replace Kaepernick and Devlin with Christian Ponder. I like him, I know you don't but he reminds me a bit of Colt McCoy. They do a bit of everything in the FSU offense and that offense was basically built on his arm. Hopefully he's healthy.

The guy I think we need though is Kyle Orton from Denver. I could see him being a real good QB under Harbaugh. Wouldn't mind Kevin Kolb either, but his price may be too high.
  • mike
  • Veteran
I'd only like cam newton if Mcnabb was his mentor for a year or so. They're both big guys that like to occasionally run, and both have big arms. Mcnabb played in a west coast style offense so he can help cam adjust to that from the spread style.

Newton seems like a lot of work, but I don't think it's right to throw any of these guys immediately into the fray anyway. If anyone can help him make the transition it's harbaugh.

Orton had the better year over mcnabb for sure, but I've always liked mcnabb as I do value that ability to run when all else fails that the big ben,rodgers, garrard and vick type of qb's have.

I don't really care who paid for cam to play. But I would interview him, make sure he's willing to put in all of the work.

I'm sure harbaugh will kick ass at scouting for us though, if he sees something in mallett or anyone else instead, go for it jimmy...what do I know...
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
I wouldn't be livid if we drafted Mallet or Gabbert, but I just don't trust many of these 1st round QB's. I would rather draft a QB in the 2nd-4th rounds.

Cosigned. Dalton is a guy I like a lot while I would replace Kaepernick and Devlin with Christian Ponder. I like him, I know you don't but he reminds me a bit of Colt McCoy. They do a bit of everything in the FSU offense and that offense was basically built on his arm. Hopefully he's healthy.

The guy I think we need though is Kyle Orton from Denver. I could see him being a real good QB under Harbaugh. Wouldn't mind Kevin Kolb either, but his price may be too high.

On Ponder. I just feel like I keep waiting and waiting and waiting for him to do something, and he never does. I want to see him show me something, I really do. But I haven't. I'm hoping he can show us something in the Senior Bowl. Overall, Ponders injuries really scare me. In the NFL he'll take an even heavier beating.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Not worth a 1st rd grade IMO, but thats me.

In fact no QB is in my top 32 of my big board.

I would rather use the 7th pick on Dareus, Amukamara, Fairley or Peterson

AB what do you think of Von Miller if we stay in the 3-4? I haven't really seen him much but his numbers are pretty good.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran

Ok let's look at the QB's in the playoffs right now and how many were 1st round picks

Ryan
Cutler
Vick
Rogers
Brees (practically)
Manning
Sanchez
Flaco
Roethlisberger

Brady
Cassel
Hasselback

My money's on the first rounder. If there's first round worthy QB at 7, you take him no matter what.
Originally posted by footballxpaul:
would love to get him with our 7th Round Pick... he is gonna be special

fixed
  • Paul
  • Veteran
I'd actually like to draft Newton, I think he has quite a bit of potential and he won the Heisman in the SEC so that in itself says a lot.

When Harbaugh was asked yesterday what he wants in a qb he stated
Quote:
Athletic instincts, accuracy, timing, decision making, leadership, intelligence, and you could keep going on and on here, and they’re all important.

Sounds like from this season alone Newton has those
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KID9R:

Ok let's look at the QB's in the playoffs right now and how many were 1st round picks

Ryan
Cutler
Vick
Rogers
Brees (practically)
Manning
Sanchez
Flaco
Roethlisberger

Brady
Cassel
Hasselback

My money's on the first rounder. If there's first round worthy QB at 7, you take him no matter what.

Generally the 1st is the most talented in any given year, but if harbaugh sees something he doesn't see in the top talent, then obviously he goes defense(possibly WR) in the 1st and his favorite later. Afterall nothing could set us back more than getting the next jamarcus russell or alex smith with a first.

Chances are he's going to spend the 1st on a guy though. Or wait for locker in the early 2nd. Really depends on what problems he thinks are more easily coachable. Newton is talented and maybe he thinks with some polish given to the footwork and finer aspects of the position he can be solid. Same goes for anyone else whose got some question marks.

[ Edited by mike on Jan 8, 2011 at 11:13:35 ]
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Paul:
I'd actually like to draft Newton, I think he has quite a bit of potential and he won the Heisman in the SEC so that in itself says a lot.

Quote:
Athletic instincts, accuracy, timing, decision making, leadership, intelligence, and you could keep going on and on here, and they’re all important.

I was just watching ESPN's sport science video on him, not sure how much of it is crap but I'm starting to like him...I need to watch him more. His performance against the ducks will make or break his ranking of course.
i pray we dont take newton, if im taking a qb to fix that would be locker. harbaugh has seen a lot of locker and if he thinks he can get him and fix his mechanics as well think he can be a frachise qb then im all for him. either get him in the 2nd or trade down and acquire more picks if peterson, prince or green are all gone

Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Not worth a 1st rd grade IMO, but thats me.

In fact no QB is in my top 32 of my big board.

I would rather use the 7th pick on Dareus, Amukamara, Fairley or Peterson

He will be given a 1st round grade though.

Mechanics are really his weakness....the easiest weakness to fix.

Not only mechanics but he isn't asked to do much mentally, he only has to read half the field, doesn't have to throw into tight windows, and he doesn't have any pre snap reads. He has a ton of learning to do before he is ever going to be ready to play in an offense like Harbaugh's. IMO we will probably not draft him. Physically he has the total package but he's going to take time to develop and we have only 1 QB on the roster, and that's D. Carr.

He doesent have to throw into tight windows, but he can damn sure do it....I have seen a lot of Auburn this year, and the throws that he has made has made my jaw drop....perfect example 4th and 3 in the 4th quarter...the pass he made was amazing....it was in the smallest and tightest window. His pocket pressence and awareness is top notch.

He does have learning to do, but he would be an amazing West Coast Offense QB, just bring in a stop gap qb. And I see that you hold Christian Ponder in high regard. Dont. I am a huge FSU fan and watch all their games. He aint got it. Trust me.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
i pray we dont take newton, if im taking a qb to fix that would be locker. harbaugh has seen a lot of locker and if he thinks he can get him and fix his mechanics as well think he can be a frachise qb then im all for him. either get him in the 2nd or trade down and acquire more picks if peterson, prince or green are all gone

I dont like his body of work. But if Harbaugh likes him, I'll trust Harbaugh
Originally posted by mike:

Quote:

I was just watching ESPN's sport science video on him, not sure how much of it is crap but I'm starting to like him...I need to watch him more. His performance against the ducks will make or break his ranking of course.

No it wont.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran

Quote:

No it wont.

It will for most, but it really shouldn't
Originally posted by KID9R:

Quote:

No it wont.

It will for most, but it really shouldn't

nah...I have seen all of Cam's games all year, and found myself saying "Its just not fair". Cam obliterated the SEC. Oregon's D is good, but not SEC good. I will be shocked if Cam plays bad.

BTW, did you know that Cam is the All Time single season leader in pass efficiency?
Share 49ersWebzone