There are 96 users in the forums

2011 QB Feeding Frenzy; Should we trade up?

The way I see it the following teams are desperate for a QB in 2011.

Arizona
Carolina
Minnesota
San Francisco
Washington

Cincy, Buffalo and Cleveland could also easily be added to this list. That is more teams than big name prospects in the draft who could start immediately.

My concerns are two-fold. First that we miss out on a quality rookie in the draft. We need QB help so badly. My second is that due to the potential of missing out on a QB in the draft the organization considers re-signing Alex Smith out of neccesity.

Based on this potential nightmare scenario and our plethora of picks (10 current plus any compensatory) should we trade up no matter the cost to get our QB?
Luck is the only one worth trading up for but it will come at a huge price. We should sign a veteran like mcnabb or palmer as a stop gap QB and develop a QB with the first pick we have unless we take DB Patrick Peterson.
Only Qb to trade up is Andrew Luck everyone else can wait! We need a QB desperately!

Cincy did mention they are bringing back Palmer, Browns have McCoy playing well. Bills sure but Fitzpatrick is not all bad.
Originally posted by ea_thegreat:
Luck is the only one worth trading up for but it will come at a huge price. We should sign a veteran like mcnabb or palmer as a stop gap QB and develop a QB with the first pick we have unless we take DB Patrick Peterson.

Who cares about the huge price it's our missing piece. Plus with a rookie cap possibly in place with the NFL union agreement coming soon. Luck 2011 at all cost.!
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:

Who cares about the huge price it's our missing piece. Plus with a rookie cap possibly in place with the NFL union agreement coming soon. Luck 2011 at all cost.!
do u really think that he is the missing piece, especially the only one? we have to upgrade NT, LDE, OLB, CB, FS...
Originally posted by communist:

do u really think that he is the missing piece, especially the only one? we have to upgrade NT, LDE, OLB, CB, FS...

You are correct but many on this board think that Alex is responsible for all the ills of this team and if he were just gone we would magically become a playoff team.

In addition to your list of needs, we really need a speed or quick type wr. We have no #1 wr and I don't see Crabtree getting there, he doesn't have the speed to get seperation. Also, this list could grow if we lose anybody to FA. And finally, if we change the entire coaching staff, they will most likely run a different D and O and some of our current players may not fit into their system.
Originally posted by rk1642:

You are correct but many on this board think that Alex is responsible for all the ills of this team and if he were just gone we would magically become a playoff team.

In addition to your list of needs, we really need a speed or quick type wr. We have no #1 wr and I don't see Crabtree getting there, he doesn't have the speed to get seperation. Also, this list could grow if we lose anybody to FA. And finally, if we change the entire coaching staff, they will most likely run a different D and O and some of our current players may not fit into their system.

Crabtree can get open, he just needs better coaching. A better WR coach and a better scheme that would get him open would help him a lot. Not to mention if he can stay healthy in the OTAs and training camp. He can be a number 1. Sure a speed WR would help compliment him but he's starting to get better. Just look at how well he played catching passes from Troy and Alex. He was pretty much our whole offense. We just got to help him out coaching and possibly QB wise.

The only QB worth trading up for is Luck. We should explore the option to do so, but if we can't then we need to get ourselves a QB before the draft somehow. Either McNabb in FA, Orton or Palmer via trade, or see if Kolb's asking price comes down. We might want Mallett but I'm not sure if he'll be there. Stay away from Newton and Locker because they'll take a while to develop.
you better get an o-line for luck or he'll end up Alexed. Alex may not have been the best but his o-line didn't do him any favors either and there is no disputing this.
Hire John Gruden, pick up Carson Palmer, then trade down and draft Locker. Use the extra pick to shore up the secondary and pass rush.
plenty of great QBs in this draft...

probably luck
locker
probably newton
maybe pryor
gabbert possibly
mallett

no need to trade up... just let em fall our way

don't sleep on the stud cb's either.

we'll be in great position regardless.

Honestly...If we have a top 5 pick my ideal situation would be this.

Getting McNabb or Palmer through trade of FA.
Taking BPA with our first pick (I don't believe there is another QB in the draft besides Luck that is worth a top 5 pick)
Selecting Stanzi for our second round
Originally posted by drake49er:
Honestly...If we have a top 5 pick my ideal situation would be this.

Getting McNabb or Palmer through trade of FA.
Taking BPA with our first pick (I don't believe there is another QB in the draft besides Luck that is worth a top 5 pick)
Selecting Stanzi for our second round

Stanzi is a day two pick, if that.

I'd rather have Tyrod Taylor or Nathan Enderle.

[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Dec 27, 2010 at 04:47:31 ]
Tyrod Taylor is garbage, he'll prolly be a WR anyways
Originally posted by Grigga2021:
Tyrod Taylor is garbage, he'll prolly be a WR anyways

A career backup; think Troy Smith. But at least if you have to throw him out there he can make plays with his legs, extend plays, and pick up first downs on the ground. I was more making the point that Stanzi is vastly overrated on this board, than pumping up Taylor, as I do prefer Taylor to Stanzi.
Originally posted by rk1642:

alex isnt our franchise qb, perhaps he isnt a franchise qb at all...but i dont see him being responsible for our fail in the first place, but not that far behind...we played better football last year, imo. and alex wasnt that bad the last seasons.
and like you saw yesterday, crabtree can be a very good WR if you give him the chance.

i wanna a fast WR either, would be nice if it's a fast AND a tall one...like deandre brown from southern miss, 6-6, proj 4.48 40s...would be nice to have some mismatches.
Share 49ersWebzone