LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 353 users in the forums

Re-sign Alex, Draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd Rd (regardless of HC)

Alex could be the best option for 2011. A rookie won't be ready. Troy Smith has some deficiencies. Carr can't play. You won't get anything good out of the FA class. If you play a rookie you are looking at 1 - 15.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Alex could be the best option for 2011. A rookie won't be ready. Troy Smith has some deficiencies. Carr can't play. You won't get anything good out of the FA class. If you play a rookie you are looking at 1 - 15.

Thank you.
Originally posted by fakers23:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
And people wonder why we haven't won for 8 years... Just look at Alex Lovers and you get your answer... To want to bring a Bust back for a 7th year is just stupid...

Again, Alex Smith has been a healthy, mature quarterback for two seasons now, and his average QB rating is 81 during that time. That's not a Bust.

He has a 18-30 record... He's a Bust!

So no other position matters? Bottom-of-the-league offensive lines don't matter. A very weak receiving corps (until 2009) doesn't matter?

It doesn't matter to him because it doesn't fit his opinion, which seems very shortsighted and uninformed, if not completely ignorant of all facts that do not support his indefensible position.

No,I'm just not blind like you Alex lover... I want a real QB...Not the return of a 6 year loser... I don't want a rerun of the past... Outside the internet people agree with me hence the boos on Sunday!

I am not a blind Alex lover, once again you show how much you know. You are a blind Alex hater, just like the idiots that were booing the guy winning the game for us. Find a better qb to replace Smith with and I will be happy to have him play for us, until then feel free to remain ignorant.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
I dont want a rooke quarterback to learn under Alex Smith. That is just a disaster waiting to happen.

He's played in about 9 different offensive systems, so he could be a pretty good coach...
Originally posted by whatawegot:
With Alex Smith, we know what we get at this point: an average starter with a QB rating of 80 - 85 when mature and healthy: (385/641/4159/30/21 in '09 and '10)

Now, that's good enough to win some games with a good defense and running game, but it isn't enough to take you all the way...think Jake Delhomme in Carolina. This will be even more true in the future, with rule changes enhancing the role of the quarterback (QB rating has been going up over the last few years).

So, let's re-sign Alex for 2 -3 years and draft a rookie in the first or second round ...my preference at this point would be to draft a QB in the second (or third) round like Stanzi or Ponder. But if we have a shot at Locker or Cam Newton in the middle of the 1st, that works for me too.

If the rookie pans out and is a 90+ QB rating guy, then great. But if he's a bust, we still have Alex Smith to give you decent production.

Thoughts?

What words come to mind when reading the subject heading

r u kidding me
clueless
omg
get off the crack
quit riding the bottle
resign who?
i forgot to take my zanez when reading webzone

lmao... couldn't put it any better... i mean i can't believe people still haven't learned after 6 years

Spoken like a noob, totally ignoring facts (like statistics), the quality of the rest of the team, and the fact that there's a 50-50 bust rate on new quarterbacks.
With Alex Smith, we know what we get at this point: an average starter with a QB rating of 80 - 85 when mature and healthy: (385/641/4159/30/21 in '09 and '10)

Now, that's good enough to win some games with a good defense and running game, but it isn't enough to take you all the way...think Jake Delhomme in Carolina. This will be even more true in the future, with rule changes enhancing the role of the quarterback (QB rating has been going up over the last few years).

So, let's re-sign Alex for 2 -3 years and draft a rookie in the first or second round ...my preference at this point would be to draft a QB in the second (or third) round like Stanzi or Ponder. But if we have a shot at Locker or Cam Newton in the middle of the 1st, that works for me too.

If the rookie pans out and is a 90+ QB rating guy, then great. But if he's a bust, we still have Alex Smith to give you decent production.

Thoughts?

r u kidding me
clueless
omg
get off the crack
quit riding the bottle
resign who?

lmao... couldn't put it any better... i mean i can't believe people still haven't learned after 6 years

Spoken like a noob, totally ignoring facts (like statistics), the quality of the rest of the team, and the fact that there's a 50-50 bust rate on new quarterbacks.

This is NT..logic will not serve you well here.

Thoughts?

r u kidding me
clueless
omg
get off the crack
quit riding the bottle
resign who?

So everyone in the league including Eddie is wrong and you Alex lovers are right... The facts remain in 6 years under Smith the team has never once had a winning season! Has an 18-30 record and has seen your boy loses his job to Troy,Hill,and JTO.. Those are the facts!

Yes. I also don't want Alex Smith to be somebody else's Drew Brees. What would you do if he went to Minnesota and became a 90/95 QB rating guy like Brees did when he got a decent offensive coach.

Brees left the Chargers at age 27 and a QB rating in the mid-80s. Alex Smith is a 27 year old free agent next year with a QB rating in the mid-80s.

Yes. I also don't want Alex Smith to be somebody else's Drew Brees. What would you do if he went to Minnesota and became a 90/95 QB rating guy like Brees did when he got a decent offensive coach.

Brees left the Chargers at age 27 and a QB rating in the mid-80s. Alex Smith is a 27 year old free agent next year with a QB rating in the mid-80s.

Comparing Alex to Brees has to be a joke,right!
[ Edited by fakers23 on Dec 13, 2010 at 3:28 PM ]

Thoughts?

r u kidding me
clueless
omg
get off the crack
quit riding the bottle
resign who?

So everyone in the league including Eddie is wrong and you Alex lovers are right... The facts remain in 6 years under Smith the team has never once had a winning season! Has an 18-30 record and has seen your boy loses his job to Troy,Hill,and JTO.. Those are the facts!

Archie Manning never went to the play-offs...he was still a great QB...just on a sucky team. That's a fact too.

Thoughts?

r u kidding me
clueless
omg
get off the crack
quit riding the bottle
resign who?

Lost to Troy due to injury.

Lost to to Hill and JTO due to injury.

The other 52 players matter.

A QB rating around 80 is not a bust.

Drew Brees left the Chargers after 5 seasons with a QB rating in the mid-80s and developed into a 90/95 passer rating guy.
Originally posted by Jakemall:

Thoughts?

r u kidding me
clueless
omg
get off the crack
quit riding the bottle
resign who?

Archie Manning never went to the play-offs...he was still a great QB...just on a sucky team. That's a fact too.

Archie's a bad example because he wasn't that good...overrated. Had 3 decent seasons (78 - 80).
[ Edited by nickbradley on Dec 13, 2010 at 3:30 PM ]
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
As a free agent A.Smith will be the one deciding where he wants to go. Regardless of what he does in the next few games he will get offers from somewhere else.

IF I'm Alex I am NOT re-signing with the 9ers period. If he does well to finish or not, he will NOT be a 9er next year unless the 9ers are going to offer him more than market value, and that's not going to happen.

We need to overhaul the QB position... hell I would draft two next year... and look for a veteran.
Please stop giving excuses for A Smith, Look at the Ram, worse team last year, playoff contender this year, they have no name WR and TE, Ok OL. Only difference is the rookie quaterback. if you watch him play, he has it

Comparing Alex to Brees has to be a joke,right!

No -- good QB with a coach who neglects the offense (Marty-ball vs. Sing), leaves and goes with a QB Guru and ups his QB rating by 10 pts.
Share 49ersWebzone