LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 408 users in the forums

Wow, I actually agree with Matt M on something

Also, the 49ers have every reason to like Joe Staley. They signed him through 2017. So the 49ers don't need to spend left-tackle money on two tackles. They have already locked up Staley for the long term. Now, unless a left-tackle upgrade falls in their lap on the cheap, they need only a right tackle.

--Matt M.

I have been saying this for so so long. The niners need a RT, not a left. Staley is locked up until 2017, they should be able to grab a RT and not pay him LT money.

If the niners traded up to get OKUng, they would spend LT money on both tackles, leaving little money for other skill positions.
The offensive line is the foundation for any offense to be successful. I do not mind at all spending money to have two quality bookend tackles.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Also, the 49ers have every reason to like Joe Staley. They signed him through 2017. So the 49ers don't need to spend left-tackle money on two tackles. They have already locked up Staley for the long term. Now, unless a left-tackle upgrade falls in their lap on the cheap, they need only a right tackle.

--Matt M.

I have been saying this for so so long. The niners need a RT, not a left. Staley is locked up until 2017, they should be able to grab a RT and not pay him LT money.

If the niners traded up to get OKUng, they would spend LT money on both tackles, leaving little money for other skill positions.

Actually if Staley turns into a legit LT he would be under paid by that contract. Therefore it puts us in a great position to roll the dice with a rookie because if he beats out Staley than paying him more than Staley would be worth it and our Oline would be set for the next 7 years. If he doesn't then it should be easier to resign him for less than what Staley signed for. Either way having 2 legit LTs on your team is a great problem to have and worst case scenario someone would trade a 1st rounder to take one of them off your hands. Just ask the Baltimore Ravens.
just curious if anyone knows what team pays LT money to both of their tackles? maybe carolina? gross got a nice extension and otah was a top 20 pick
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Originally posted by 9erred:

--Matt M.

Actually if Staley turns into a legit LT he would be under paid by that contract. Therefore it puts us in a great position to roll the dice with a rookie because if he beats out Staley than paying him more than Staley would be worth it and our Oline would be set for the next 7 years. If he doesn't then it should be easier to resign him for less than what Staley signed for. Either way having 2 legit LTs on your team is a great problem to have and worst case scenario someone would trade a 1st rounder to take one of them off your hands. Just ask the Baltimore Ravens.

This
i personally think J.Stalry is no LT. he belongs on the right side therefore we do need a LT
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
i personally think J.Stalry is no LT. he belongs on the right side therefore we do need a LT

Right tackles are your maulers, which staley is not. he is better suited to play LT.
Originally posted by SFCH3DDERZ:
Originally posted by Negrodamus:

Right tackles are your maulers, which staley is not. he is better suited to play LT.

You do realize that Gore rushed for over a thousand yards with Staley starting as a rookie at RT. I think he'd be fine at RT and I think our Oline would be great if whoever we draft beats him out eventually.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Gore also rushed for over 1000 yards with Snyder as a starting RT. Heck, he might be able to hit 1000 if we had a traffic clone blocking on the right side. (:
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Who cares about the money? Theres no cap anymore.

Originally posted by fryet:
Gore also rushed for over 1000 yards with Snyder as a starting RT. Heck, he might be able to hit 1000 if we had a traffic clone blocking on the right side. (:

Snyder's strength is run blocking and his weakness is pass blocking. So if we have an RT that we don't have to worry about when it comes to pass protection and Gore gets just as many yards as a Mauler with no pass blocking skills then Staley should be fine at RT.

BTW, even if you are right and staley can Maul people we could always do a zone blocking scheme with 2 legit tackles on our team.
And? There is not any gaurantee that Alex will be our QB long term or that Frank will be our RB as he starts hitting that 30+ mark.

As such, our running style could change and our QB could be a lefty. (Ring a bell?)

Or our QB could be more or less mobile. Either way, having studs at both ends of the line and/or upgrading the guards is key to the future of our key. Having just enough talent to be OK on the line, and changing personnel every few year is not the way championship teams are built.

Having pro-bowl caliber linemen who can handle any blocking scheme, running game or QB is the way to ensure you can always be successful in the NFL. There are tons of skill players who never see the playoffs.

There are pretty much NO dominant Olines who aren't part of playoff teams. Then it's just a matter of fine tuning to get over the playoff to Superbowl winner hump.

Without a line, you are watching the playoffs on TV.
Share 49ersWebzone