There are 368 users in the forums

Niners contacted Clausen?

i like those odds
Back in the continent, and ready to get cranked up for the draft in 11 days.

I've got the Bills pegged for Clausen at number 9, and he could be a surprise pick at 11 to the Broncos.

If he is on the board at 13, the Niners will pass. At 17, who knows? I just don't think the Niners are interested in selecting a QB in this draft. They have their three guys. If the team did not pick up Carr, then maybe they look at another QB.

I still think the Niners are targeting Haden with their 13th overall, and cannot see them deviating from this path.

McCoy will be a late first, early second rounder. Watch for a team in the early second round like the Browns.
Originally posted by bracus:
Originally posted by thojess:
What the hell is so special about Clausen anyway? All his brothers were decent in college too, but none of them had pro talent. What makes everyone so sure he does?

So because his brothers suck, he's supposed to too? All I know is, if it wasn't for him Notre Dame wouldn't of even been in competition in the games they were in. He kept them in the game everytime. And I'm not saying draft a QB then start him now. Draft one and sit him until Alex screws up or sucks. Worst case scenario, we have 2 good QBs. Would any of you be upset with that?

And as for Nate Davis, if a guy has a whole year to learn a pretty simple playbook, he's got problems. It's not like he's learning Martz system. Ours is pretty easy. That tells me 1 of 2 things. He's either dumber than we thought, or he doesn't put enough effort. What was it he said? 11 probowls in 8 years of playing lol.

Clausen answered any questions about his abilities at his pro day. If he falls to #13 he'd be an easy choice as BPA, imho. Draft him and worry about what to do with four QBs after TC. It would be a surprise if he falls to #13, though.

As for Nate Davis, what you are seeing is Singletary's handling of QBs.

Think about how Singletary treated Hill and Smith in the QB competition. He wasn't just worried about their arm strength, grasp of the offense, etc. He also took care to give Smith room and time to prepare psychologically, and put him in when there was something to gain and little to lose.

Singletary showed he was more interested in Smith's development than in any quick fixes. Same with Davis. Singletary's being patient, while letting Smith have to opportunity to prove himself. Why would we want to return to the days of thowing guys to the wolves like Nolan did. Wasn't very effective or successful, IIRC.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

I've got the Bills pegged for Clausen at number 9, and he could be a surprise pick at 11 to the Broncos.

If he is on the board at 13, the Niners will pass. At 17, who knows? I just don't think the Niners are interested in selecting a QB in this draft. They have their three guys. If the team did not pick up Carr, then maybe they look at another QB.

I still think the Niners are targeting Haden with their 13th overall, and cannot see them deviating from this path.

McCoy will be a late first, early second rounder. Watch for a team in the early second round like the Browns.

Welcome back, dude.

Think Seattle might also be interested in Clausen?
good
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
What the hell is so special about Clausen anyway? All his brothers were decent in college too, but none of them had pro talent. What makes everyone so sure he does?

So because his brothers suck, he's supposed to too? All I know is, if it wasn't for him Notre Dame wouldn't of even been in competition in the games they were in. He kept them in the game everytime. And I'm not saying draft a QB then start him now. Draft one and sit him until Alex screws up or sucks. Worst case scenario, we have 2 good QBs. Would any of you be upset with that?

And as for Nate Davis, if a guy has a whole year to learn a pretty simple playbook, he's got problems. It's not like he's learning Martz system. Ours is pretty easy. That tells me 1 of 2 things. He's either dumber than we thought, or he doesn't put enough effort. What was it he said? 11 probowls in 8 years of playing lol.

Clausen answered any questions about his abilities at his pro day. If he falls to #13 he'd be an easy choice as BPA, imho. Draft him and worry about what to do with four QBs after TC. It would be a surprise if he falls to #13, though.

As for Nate Davis, what you are seeing is Singletary's handling of QBs.

Think about how Singletary treated Hill and Smith in the QB competition. He wasn't just worried about their arm strength, grasp of the offense, etc. He also took care to give Smith room and time to prepare psychologically, and put him in when there was something to gain and little to lose.

Singletary showed he was more interested in Smith's development than in any quick fixes. Same with Davis. Singletary's being patient, while letting Smith have to opportunity to prove himself. Why would we want to return to the days of thowing guys to the wolves like Nolan did. Wasn't very effective or successful, IIRC.

agreed about Sing and the QB situation. I however don't think we should draft Clausen at 13 or 17. But he won't be there anyway, so it doesn't matter.
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Apr 11, 2010 at 1:09 PM ]

If they took Haden, would be you be happy?
I'm elated that we won't get either of them. We can have PManning and w/our current OL we'll still be 8-8 or 9-7 at best. Fix the OL and the Defense will get better with less 3 & outs and more rest. The running lanes will open on 1st down [we were worst in NFL on 1st down rushing] and with better pass protection VD, Crab and company will get more passes & TD's.

I don't have the specific stats in front of me however I recall our QB's were sacked btwn 46-49 times. We won't win a bag of popcorn unless our OL gets better.

Agreed. That's who I pegged taking Clausen in my final mock.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Hmm, you guys both think they pass on an OT for Clausen? Not that I'm complaining, that'd be an ideal scenario for us along with cooky Al picking Taylor Mays or something as well.

Originally posted by Niners23:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Hmm, you guys both think they pass on an OT for Clausen? Not that I'm complaining, that'd be an ideal scenario for us along with cooky Al picking Taylor Mays or something as well.

I don't think it could be anyone else. If it's not Clausen, it will be an OT. I think the top three OT's will go before Buffalo gets up, and they'll take Clausen.
we arent taking a qb in this draft unless its beyond the 5th round, not sure why its so hard for some of you to understand that, bottom line is this is a make or break year in terms of getting to the playoffs a rookie qb taken in the first or second round will have no impact. the point is there are only a certain number of great qb's out there and we dont have one but that doesnt mean u try to put the square peg in the round hole and just take a qb. the type of qb's to help this team are the ones u trade for in the offseason like schaub and mcnabb, taking a rookie and putting him out there with this build to win team is dumber than sticking with alex.

"Clausen’s hands were only nine inches, tied for the smallest at the NFL Combine"

link

Has Clausen EVER had a winning season? IDK. If this team needed a qb that badly, I would make a traqde and get Campbell before I draft this guy. ND attracts some of the BEST recruits and I can't understand why the kid could not get them into any major bowls. I just don't see ANYTHING special about him.
Do people really think we're set with alex smith????or do people think a LG is simply more important than a QB? Or is it actually something about Claussen himself?
Share 49ersWebzone