There are 681 users in the forums

My 49ers draft board for the first round

I know there are a lot of mock draft, so I won't do mine. I find more interesting to write my take on the niners draft board, so I don't depend on the previous picks (and fool choices by Al Davis).
So, these are the first 20 positions if I were Baalke:

1. Russell Okung Oklahoma State OT
Fix the hole at OT with the BPA at the position
2. Eric Berry Tennesseee S
Too much talent to pass at a position of need
3. Trent Williams Oklahoma OT
Best fit at RT, too much of a need
4. Ndamukong Suh Nebraska DT
Too much talent to pass, even if he is not needed immediately
5. Bryan Bulaga Iowa OT
The biggest need is at OT...
6. CJ Spiller Clemson RB
The best OT are gone, let's find a replacement for Gore for 2012 and
a dangerous weapon from day one
7. Jimmy Clausen Notre Dame QB
The best players are gone and you can't bet all-in in Smith, Carr and Davis...
And a QB is always welcome (just ask San Diego...), you can't win without one
8. Kyle Wilson Boise St CB
I think he is better than Haden and he can return kickoffs and punts too...
9. Charles Brown USC OT
The biggest need is at OT, a little reach is understandable...
10. Joe Haden Florida CB
A good CB, but his speed is questionable
11. Earl Thomas Texas S/CB
A CB/S is surely welcome in SF
12. Brandon Graham Michigan DE/OLB
He would fix our pass-rush woes
13. Dan Williams Tennessee DT
A good replacement for Franklin, who's probably leaving after this season
14. Anthony Davis Rutgers OT
Niners do not need projects, expecially at OT, but who's left at this position?
15. Gerald McCoy Oklahoma DT
Too much talent to pass at this point, even if he doesn't fit the 3-4
16. Mike Iupati Idaho G
At least we can fix the OG position
17. Jason Pierre-Paul South Florida DE
At this point the niners have to take a risk on a boom or bust player...
18. Bruce Campbell Maryland OT
At this point the niners have to take a risk on a boom or bust player...
19. Jared Odrick Penn State DT
Our DL needs some help, Balmer was a bad pick
20. Rolando McClain Alabama LB
There would be too much money on ILBs, in my opinion...

With 20 players I can cover the first two picks by the niners, even with a small trade down. I will be very happy with two players selected in my first 13 position: there is a pretty steep drop in talent or consistency from that point, IMHO... All I need is that Bradford, Pierre-Paul, Dez Bryant and McCoy are all selected before our second pick...

Comments and other draft boards will be appreciated. :)

I would really enjoy a draft board from Maddog49er and OnTheClock, but I'm probably asking too much! I want to use this post also to thank them for their work on this forum heading to the draft.
Well I definitely value N. Suh and G.McCoy higher. I think Pierre-Paul is higher too. I think Bradford would be above Clausen but Its pretty unrealistic that we take a qb in the 1st
No Clausen.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
No Clausen.

clausen is 7 on his list.
Originally posted by 49ersFan831:
wat the hell is wrong with u charales brown ahead of brandon graham and trent williams ahead of ndomokung suh and kile wilson ahead of joe haden O.M.G. SLAP YOUR SELF PLEASE you make me sick

Probably you should read the entire post.
Hint: this is not a mock draft.
Please, take a medicine.

[ Edited by jrice80 on Mar 28, 2010 at 00:33:30 ]
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Well I definitely value N. Suh and G.McCoy higher. I think Pierre-Paul is higher too. I think Bradford would be above Clausen but Its pretty unrealistic that we take a qb in the 1st

An OT is badly needed. I think Clausen valued more than Bradford because he comes from a Pro-style offense, Bradford is too similar to Alex Smith and I hope the Niners can learn from their previous mistakes (Alex Smith was not really a mistake because that was a really bad draft and he was the only QB that could have gone 1st overall, we was just stuck in a bad position).
I'm not sold on our QBs, so I think that if that the Niners find Clausen atop at their draft board, they should draft him (just like the Packers when they selected Aaron Rodgers). You can do no wrong if you pick the best QB in the draft, if he slips, expecially with an unsettled QB position.

I also think that Pierre-Paul is too risky and the Niners cannot afford to take risks, with all the needs they have.

McCoy would be like Dorsey in the 3-4, see Kansas City...

IMHO, as always...

[ Edited by jrice80 on Mar 28, 2010 at 00:23:19 ]
Question about draft boards, do you not put players who don't fit in your "scheme" high no matter how talented they are? Like you have McCoy way below his value even though he's considered a top 3 player.

I would think you still put him high on your list and pick him over a Charles Brown caliber player if he fell to your spot. Doing so would open up trade talks.
This is an interesting view and a different perspective than the usual talent boards. I actually appreciate it. However, I would question a couple of your rankings based on how much it could really help the team's depth (such as Gerald McCoy being lower than he should be).
Originally posted by jrice80:
Originally posted by 49ersFan831:
wat the hell is wrong with u charales brown ahead of brandon graham and trent williams ahead of ndomokung suh and kile wilson ahead of joe haden O.M.G. SLAP YOUR SELF PLEASE you make me sick

Probably you should read the entire post.
Hint: this is not a mock draft.
Please, take a medicine.

Dude seems to have some reading comprehension problems. Some people need to read first before reacting...
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
This is an interesting view and a different perspective than the usual talent boards. I actually appreciate it. However, I would question a couple of your rankings based on how much it could really help the team's depth (such as Gerald McCoy being lower than he should be).

I think McCoy would fit nicely in our DL rotation.

• dald1
  • Veteran
why did u list anthony davis as a project lol
If I'm the Niners, I'd have Bulaga rated only behind Okung...Williams hasn't proven he can play LT and Singletary has said on a number of occasions any OT he takes in 1st rd must have that ability. I'd also be surprised if they even have a QB on their top 20 list...if they did, it'd be Bradford. I also wouldn't have Wilson higher than Haden...KW's a very good player, but he hasn't played the same level of competition as Haden. JH showed in his Pro Day, he's fast enough. I'd also probably substitute McCoy where you have Clausen...he's very close to Suh in ability. And...I don't agree with your claim neither guy is 3-4 material is valid. Granted Suh may not be a NT, although I think he could do it, either guy could be a dynamite DE, especially Suh. They have the strength and quickness to play DE in a 3-4. I do agree WRT Charles Brown...he's got the kind of tools OL Coach Solari's looking for...can play LT, is very quick and agile, can pass protect and zone block. However, I also don't think it's merely a coincidence Singletary & Baalke will be at Davis' Pro Day. They'll get a close look at him which will enable a smarter OT pick on draft day.
  • LA_NINERS
  • Info N/A
LOL @ Dan Williams
  • fly15
  • Veteran
CJ Spiller #1

OL #17
  • oklasooners
  • Info N/A
good. i like it. ot is a need
Share 49ersWebzone