LISTEN: The 49ers Pick Is In! →

There are 378 users in the forums

Schefter confident Bradford goes #1

Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by teeohh:
John Clayton wrote an article about the financial reasons the Rams would pick Bradford over Suh. He uses past examples of great DTs that never helped their team win more games.

why money matters in the nfl draft

It' true. The rookie salaries in the front end of the draft are a crutch. It's one of the reasons that QBs are drafted so early and why we have so many busts at that position.

For teams sitting in our position though, it probably works in our favor. Guys like Berry, McClain and Spiller tend to fall because of the position they play.

IMO, DTs just aren't that important to where you can throw $8-10M/yr at them. They'll never impact a team like a starting QB will. I can see a team taking Suh #1 if they ran a 3-4 and he was going to play DE for them, but the Rams aren't going to win more games because Suh is plugging the middle. He's a special player, but for the money, it's hard to justify taking him #1 when your team doesn't have a QB.

well said
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
Originally posted by LottsZombiePinky:

Smoke and projectors?

That's not a projector though...
I don't care who the Lambs take...Bradford will get his brains beat out behind their OL. The smart thing would be to sit him behind Bulger for a year, then let him take over. But, nobody's accused them of being smart lately.

For those still clamoring for Mac to draft a QB, I think you're simply spittin' in the wind. 2010 season will settle once & for all whether Alex can lead the team to the playoffs. I don't see any scenario under which they draft a QB this year and potentially open the season w/Alex, Nate and a rookie. Putting a rookie QB on your PS is risky, at best.
I'm not buying the Bradford to the Rams yet.

Here's my reasoning:
1) The Rams just got a new owner and he didn't hire Steve Spagnuolo. He's probably coaching to win next season and no rookie QB is going to help him win in 2010.
2) Michael Vick is still available and the only other team linked to him is the Buffalo Bills. The Rams are a better fit because of the WCO and Vick's familiar with it. Plus, Spagnuolo gets his veteran QB who can help him win next season.
3) Spagnuolo is a defensive guy and would like a great DL like he had on the Giants.

I'm going out on a limb but I think Gerald McCoy goes #1 not Suh.

[ Edited by DesiDez on Feb 27, 2010 at 23:43:23 ]
Good i hope they do pick bradford hes a easy knockout for willis just like spinks was for tyson
I believe that Bradford will go #1 and that it the smart pick. Its a QB league and you only have so many shots to get the best QB in college.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I believe that Bradford will go #1 and that it the smart pick. Its a QB league and you only have so many shots to get the best QB in college.

Yeah I think they take a QB. Bradford has all the measurables and arguably would have been the first pick if he'd come out last year.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Bradford = Bust If he goes #1 to STL. He is not even close to being ready to come in and start since he was in the spread offense at Oklahoma, yet they will have to start him because they wont be able to pay Marc Bulger his money and Sam Bradford #1 overall money. At Oklahoma, Bradford was surrounded by NFL-caliber players -- including many former and future high draft picks -- and the team's offensive line usually is among the best in the nation. Football Outsider has the Rams OL at #28, so if he could not stay healthy with a great OL, hes in big trouble on the Rams (no matter how much weight he puts on) and he wont get his seven seconds in the spread offense to throw the ball in the NFL.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Bradford = Bust If he goes #1 to STL. He is not even close to being ready to come in and start since he was in the spread offense at Oklahoma, yet they will have to start him because they wont be able to pay Marc Bulger his money and Sam Bradford #1 overall money. At Oklahoma, Bradford was surrounded by NFL-caliber players -- including many former and future high draft picks -- and the team's offensive line usually is among the best in the nation. Football Outsider has the Rams OL at #28, so if he could not stay healthy with a great OL, hes in big trouble on the Rams (no matter how much weight he puts on) and he wont get his seven seconds in the spread offense to throw the ball in the NFL.

this
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
They pretty much have to go for a QB.

Defensive Tackles even the best ones make around 7 million/year. Taking Suh means they will have to pay him about 12 million/year.

A potentially good QB is better than a potentially good DT. Value for money i think they gotta take a QB

Originally posted by Jcool:

agree
Originally posted by jb49ers80:
Originally posted by strickac:
I hope the Rams pick Suh. I'd hate for them to find a franchise QB, but I think they'll take either Bradford or Claussen.

With their line and receivers, I see his early career going very much like Alex Smith's.

Think Mathew Stafford.
Share 49ersWebzone