LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 320 users in the forums

The Panther trade might be a bust

When the trade was made, we all where hoping for a top 10 pick. Picking at 17 the Niners might get someone who will be no better than who the niners could have had in round 2 last year.

The following players could have been had in round 2, and they might have been the differance to winning a few more games.

[+]
13 (45) Giants (From Saints) Sintim, Clint OLB 6'3" 256 Virginia
Pick Analysis: null

[+]
17 (49) Seahawks (From Bears) Unger, Max OT 6'5" 309 Oregon
[+]

[
22 (54) Vikings Loadholt, Phil OL 6'8" 332 Oklahoma
[+]

26 (58) Patriots Vollmer, Sebastian OL 6'7" 312 Houston
[+]

[+]
28 (60) Giants Beatty, William OT 6'6" 307 Connecticut
[+]
Your analysis is too early to tell. Wait 2-3 more years and lets revisit the idea.
Then again it might not be a bust.....

It will all depend on what we do with the pick.

I don't think anyone around here expected the Panthers to go from 13-3 to 8-8. At the time the trade was made, I expected the pick to be somewhere in the 20s. I can't imagine anyone that expected the pick to be a top 10 pick.

It may end up being #16 and no worse than #17 in a deeper draft than last years.
This thread is useless. I could make a thread that says "The Panther trade may land us a fantastic player"

The following players were taken in the second half of the first round:

Chris Johnson
Jon Beason
Joseph Addai
Dan Marino
Roddy White
Logan Mankins
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
This thread is useless. I could make a thread that says "The Panther trade may land us a fantastic player"

The following players were taken in the second half of the first round:

Chris Johnson
Jon Beason
Joseph Addai
Dan Marino
Roddy White
Logan Mankins

You forget that a second in hand is worth a future round up. So having a player contribute in the 2009 season could have helped the 49ers. Additionally the Niners gave up a 4th round pick that could have landed them duke robinson, OG.

Just my opinion, but I think all of the trading that Scotty has done has not amounted to a hill of beans.

I still would take Sedrick Ellis over Joe Staley, but the Staley trade was a bust from day one.
it might also be the best trade we ever make!

No one can be sure, not for a couple of years, and definitely not before we have even chosen a player with that pick
Well I think we would have to have some information that any of those guys were on the Niners board. If not, the point is lost because the Niners may have pulled the trigger on the trade specificially because none of those guys impressed them.
The bigger bust was not pulling the trigger to trade back into the first to get Oher when Detroit passed on him @ #20. Trading back into the first @ #22/23 would have cost the 2nd, 3rd & 4th rd picks...value wise. Plus, we get a RT @ #22/23 salary.
I know hindsight being what it is...however, McGM had a history of doing this with VD/Manny in 2006 and Willis/Staley in 2008... Oher > 2010 OTs.
So wait, we traded a the 43rd and 111th overall picks last year for the 16th/17th this year and it's going to be a bust?

17th pick value: 1135

43rd and 111th picks value: 778

I'd think we pretty much got the upper hand in the deal.

They drafted Everett Brown and Mike Goodson, who have both done absolutely nothing respectively. I'd rather draft a first round tackle this year and have flexibility with the other pick than draft a second round tackle last year.
so might our 13th pick, in fact, any of our picks could be busts....i think you know where im going with this

I am telling ya, the only way to judge a trade is by getting the coaches and or GM to tell us who they would have drafted if the trade fell through.

So unless, we know who the Niners would have drafted we can't make any real comparison.

Who was available and who the Panthers picked is not a factor.

BTW, it is not uncommon to for coaches to tell interviewers later on who they were really loooking at with a pick barring the trade taking place
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Uhhh... eat cookies.
Yea homie this thread is useless b/c the player hasn't even been picked yet by the Niners to compare to those guys you listed.
Originally posted by danimal:
Well I think we would have to have some information that any of those guys were on the Niners board. If not, the point is lost because the Niners may have pulled the trigger on the trade specificially because none of those guys impressed them.

No doubt! In fact, you can argue that none of those guys where on the Niners board as we desperately needed and OT and they decided to trade the pick. Last year everyone said it was a "weak draft". Remember how many times the Pats traded back?

Hindsight is 20/20, but having the 17th pick in a deep draft is money.
This thread is .
Share 49ersWebzone