LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 204 users in the forums

TommyFrazier's Triple-Op Wishlist

Since I'm not a paid draft guru, I really hate trying to guess where these cats are going to end up on draft day. But, here is my list of players I personally would love to see line up as Niners.

DE/OLB

Sergio Kindle - Kindle played a hybrid position where he was asked to cover out in space and did well. He also is an aggressive pass rusher. I see him as a more natural version of Ahmad Brooks.

O'Brien Schofield - Schofield was completely unblockable in a number of Big Ten games this year...I think he could be available pretty late too, unless hype builds after combine workouts.

Cornerback
Amari Spievey - OK, I'm in Ohio so Big Ten is big on my radar, but this dude could end up being the best CB out of this draft. Not dynamic like Pat Robinson, but bears a lot of similarity to Nnamdi Asomuga. Big, strong and dominant...teams don't throw his way much.

Walter Thurmond III - May be a steal, if he drops due to the leg injury, but I don't think he's worth the risk going higher than a 4th (for us). Tremendous ballhawk, tho.

Safety
Reshad Jones - Absolutely one of my favorites that I will watch throughout the draft process. Would be a perfect replacement for M.Lewis and excellent bookend to Goldson.

Barry Church - Reminds me Killa Keith Lewis...potential Special Teams ace and backup in-the-box- safety.

Receiver
Antonio Brown - Excellent quick-twitch moves, can play the slot and KR/PR. Catches nearly everything.

Freddy Barnes - OK, I've seen two of his games and he is definitely not a blazer, but why does every site talk about him like he's Slow Poke Rodriguez? I like the fact that he catches ABSOLUTELY everything, but this is not the most realistic pick since we need speed and we already have a guy who plays slow and used to catch everything in college (Jason Hill).

Running Back

Dexter McCluster - Obvious reasons. Plays like Sproles, but I've seen him throw some cold-blooded blocks. Dude's a baller. Could be a nice spread WR/third down back.
  • dman
  • Veteran
I had us taking both Thurmond and Schoefield in my mock ... good call.

Those are some excellent players.

One player I really want to see as a 49er is Jordan Shipley! If he could be had in the 3rd round it would be my pick; however we have bigger needs in the 2nd round than another WR.

Shipley would be a great safety valve for our QB.
Oh, and my "under-the-radar" pick is Jeff Cumberland, TE from Illinois. I know, another Big Ten cat...but this dude is 6-5, 250 and runs a 4.5ish 40. He was an excellent endzone threat this year and seemed to have a knack for getting open.

[ Edited by TommyFrazier on Jan 15, 2010 at 09:15:25 ]
  • dman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TommyFrazier:
Since I'm not a paid draft guru, I really hate trying to guess where these cats are going to end up on draft day. But, here is my list of players I personally would love to see line up as Niners.

DE/OLB

Sergio Kindle - Kindle played a hybrid position where he was asked to cover out in space and did well. He also is an aggressive pass rusher. I see him as a more natural version of Ahmad Brooks.

O'Brien Schofield - Schofield was completely unblockable in a number of Big Ten games this year...I think he could be available pretty late too, unless hype builds after combine workouts.

Cornerback
Amari Spievey - OK, I'm in Ohio so Big Ten is big on my radar, but this dude could end up being the best CB out of this draft. Not dynamic like Pat Robinson, but bears a lot of similarity to Nnamdi Asomuga. Big, strong and dominant...teams don't throw his way much.

Walter Thurmond III - May be a steal, if he drops due to the leg injury, but I don't think he's worth the risk going higher than a 4th (for us). Tremendous ballhawk, tho.

Safety
Reshad Jones - Absolutely one of my favorites that I will watch throughout the draft process. Would be a perfect replacement for M.Lewis and excellent bookend to Goldson.

Barry Church - Reminds me Killa Keith Lewis...potential Special Teams ace and backup in-the-box- safety.

Receiver
Antonio Brown - Excellent quick-twitch moves, can play the slot and KR/PR. Catches nearly everything.

Freddy Barnes - OK, I've seen two of his games and he is definitely not a blazer, but why does every site talk about him like he's Slow Poke Rodriguez? I like the fact that he catches ABSOLUTELY everything, but this is not the most realistic pick since we need speed and we already have a guy who plays slow and used to catch everything in college (Jason Hill).

Running Back

Dexter McCluster - Obvious reasons. Plays like Sproles, but I've seen him throw some cold-blooded blocks. Dude's a baller. Could be a nice spread WR/third down back.

This was my mock, has a couple of your guys ... might replace Williams with Bulaga.

Quote:
1. C.J. Spiller - RB

Speedy home run threat that can share carries with Gore, return kicks, and is not a bad reciever either. Scored a touchdown in every game he played in this past season.

1. Trent Williams - OT

Maybe isn't as good at LT as RT but we already have Staley and with this pick we could have 2 nice bookend tackles for several years.

2. Nate Allen - FS

Goldson has emerged as a starter at one safety spot but this is a position of need and Allen is an athletic center field type that gives us a nice young safety duo.

3. OBrien Schofield - OLB

Ahmad Brooks has showed some flashes but we still need to get more pressure on the QB and this guy is excellent at speed rushing off the edge and could compliment Manny on the opposite side pretty nicely.

4. John Jerry - OG

Guard is still a question mark and this mammoth of a man will be a nice asset, especially if we are facing Suh twice a year.

5. Walter Thurmond - CB

Is a first day talent that suffered a knee injury this past year. Can be a nice corner and an excellent return man. A gamble that could pay off big.

6. Reggie Carter - ILB

Not sure if he'll fall this far but was a tackling machine in the pac 10 and Takeo isn't getting any younger.

7. Daniel Gettis - WR

Might go undrafted but lets gamble on this track runner with excellent size and athleticism.
This was my mock, has a couple of your guys ... might replace Williams with Bulaga.

Quote:
1. C.J. Spiller - RB

Speedy home run threat that can share carries with Gore, return kicks, and is not a bad reciever either. Scored a touchdown in every game he played in this past season.

1. Trent Williams - OT

Maybe isn't as good at LT as RT but we already have Staley and with this pick we could have 2 nice bookend tackles for several years.

2. Nate Allen - FS

Goldson has emerged as a starter at one safety spot but this is a position of need and Allen is an athletic center field type that gives us a nice young safety duo.

Ahmad Brooks has showed some flashes but we still need to get more pressure on the QB and this guy is excellent at speed rushing off the edge and could compliment Manny on the opposite side pretty nicely.

4. John Jerry - OG

Guard is still a question mark and this mammoth of a man will be a nice asset, especially if we are facing Suh twice a year.

5. Walter Thurmond - CB

Is a first day talent that suffered a knee injury this past year. Can be a nice corner and an excellent return man. A gamble that could pay off big.

6. Reggie Carter - ILB

Not sure if he'll fall this far but was a tackling machine in the pac 10 and Takeo isn't getting any younger.

7. Daniel Gettis - WR

Might go undrafted but lets gamble on this track runner with excellent size and athleticism.

I remember seeing this mock a while ago and liking it; now I appreciate it even more. First 4 rounds seem really right. Might quibble on 5th-through-7th but the main point is to take a shot at CB, ILB, and speedy WR in those rounds. The offense could take a jump with these picks, while the defense could solidify. Nice job.
Originally posted by dman:
Originally posted by TommyFrazier:

DE/OLB

Cornerback

Safety

Receiver

Running Back

Quote:
1. C.J. Spiller - RB

1. Trent Williams - OT

2. Nate Allen - FS

4. John Jerry - OG

5. Walter Thurmond - CB

6. Reggie Carter - ILB

7. Daniel Gettis - WR

I really like the Antonio Brown guy for sure. This Amari Spievey is very intriguing. Only got to watch him play once. Would like to see more film & his measurables.
Would be a good draft. I'm not a big proponent of gtting Spiller though. Gettinga Reggie Bush kinda guy that high is too risky in my opinion. Paying a guy top rookie RB money just makes me wary. would much rather give that to Iupati. An under-the-radar RB that has breakaway speed is Deji Karim from Southern Illinois. He could be had very late or PFA.
Share 49ersWebzone