LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 333 users in the forums

**UFC/MMA Thread**

Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

is it fair to completely blame Jones? no. i agree. the star power of recent PPV's seem to be more and more watered down lately. that has a lot to do with it also IMO.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/8/29/3276588/UFC-pat-miletich-interview-jon-jones-dana-white-ufc-151

I understand the pressure that Zuffa is under with the Fox deal, FX deal, and all that stuff. By putting on a massive number of cards, I think they've stretched themselves a bit thin. The quality of the cards has gone down, and I think everybody has noticed that, not just myself. When you have a card that is only carried by one match, given the attrition rate in MMA, the injuries in training, they kind of set themselves up for the fall.

-Pat Miletich

is it fair to completely blame Jones? no. i agree. the star power of recent PPV's seem to be more and more watered down lately. that has a lot to do with it also IMO.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/8/29/3276588/UFC-pat-miletich-interview-jon-jones-dana-white-ufc-151

I understand the pressure that Zuffa is under with the Fox deal, FX deal, and all that stuff. By putting on a massive number of cards, I think they've stretched themselves a bit thin. The quality of the cards has gone down, and I think everybody has noticed that, not just myself. When you have a card that is only carried by one match, given the attrition rate in MMA, the injuries in training, they kind of set themselves up for the fall.

-Pat Miletich

This is true as well. Although, we've seen some quality matches from fighters that aren't household names. Guys like Lavar Johnson, Glover Texeira, etc are becoming popular with the fans, which is a good sign.

Hopefully UFC on FOX 5 this December stays in tact. Such a great card to end the year.
Originally posted by SF69ers:

-Pat Miletich

This is true as well. Although, we've seen some quality matches from fighters that aren't household names. Guys like Lavar Johnson, Glover Texeira, etc are becoming popular with the fans, which is a good sign.

Hopefully UFC on FOX 5 this December stays in tact. Such a great card to end the year.

i agree they need to make sure UFC on FOX succeeds. that way they can promote the up on covers on free tv, have less PPV's, at the same time making the PPV's more quality.

(Guida/Maynard did not help that case at all )
i agree they need to make sure UFC on FOX succeeds. that way they can promote the up on covers on free tv, have less PPV's, at the same time making the PPV's more quality.

(Guida/Maynard did not help that case at all )

I don't think ANYONE saw that coming. Guida is known to be exciting and non stop. Maynard is known as someone that wants to stand and bang. Instead, Greg Jackson had Guida fight under a different gameplan that screwed that whole fight up. Glad Guida lost.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Rashad Evans on Jon Jones ~

"You want to always keep it right for the fighters. It's great for the fighters to have the right to choose a fight. That is one of the liberties we do have, the option to say yes or no to a fight. But then on the other hand, you have a tremendous responsibility as the champion. You are the champion of the UFC. Not only that, you became champion of the UFC through circumstances like this. You had the opportunity to fight for someone that was injured. He stepped into a fight, after I got hurt, so he stepped in for me to fight Shogun. So, he was rewarded by the very process of somebody stepping in to take a fight. So, he owed it to the UFC to take the fight. Not only that, he owed it to all the other fighters on this card who are going to be missing paydays because of that. And lets not talk about how the UFC has done so much to make him the face of the UFC. They sponsored him. Everything he's gotten is because of the UFC, the whole Nike endorsement and everything else like that, has all been because of the UFC. When he got in trouble a few months back, it was the UFC who stood behind him and kind of made it go away relatively quickly. So, for him to turn his back on the UFC is very hard to believe, for one, but it's just disappointing. I'm sure one day, when he has the time to understand the ramifications of his decision, he's is gonna think, 'Wow. What did I really do?'"

True Jones, did step in when the opportunity presented itself. But, Jones stepped in on a months notice, Chael is stepping in on a one weeks notice. I thought it was totally smart for Jones to turn that down. Even if it was a high school geek I would've turned down the fight on a weeks notice. this isn't street fighting, these are peoples careers we're talking about.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
[ Edited by ChazBoner on Aug 30, 2012 at 8:38 AM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
this ^

especially with sonnen's style of fighting. You need time to prepare for that. If he gets you on your back, you're in for a world of hurt.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Rashad Evans on Jon Jones ~

"You want to always keep it right for the fighters. It's great for the fighters to have the right to choose a fight. That is one of the liberties we do have, the option to say yes or no to a fight. But then on the other hand, you have a tremendous responsibility as the champion. You are the champion of the UFC. Not only that, you became champion of the UFC through circumstances like this. You had the opportunity to fight for someone that was injured. He stepped into a fight, after I got hurt, so he stepped in for me to fight Shogun. So, he was rewarded by the very process of somebody stepping in to take a fight. So, he owed it to the UFC to take the fight. Not only that, he owed it to all the other fighters on this card who are going to be missing paydays because of that. And lets not talk about how the UFC has done so much to make him the face of the UFC. They sponsored him. Everything he's gotten is because of the UFC, the whole Nike endorsement and everything else like that, has all been because of the UFC. When he got in trouble a few months back, it was the UFC who stood behind him and kind of made it go away relatively quickly. So, for him to turn his back on the UFC is very hard to believe, for one, but it's just disappointing. I'm sure one day, when he has the time to understand the ramifications of his decision, he's is gonna think, 'Wow. What did I really do?'"

True Jones, did step in when the opportunity presented itself. But, Jones stepped in on a months notice, Chael is stepping in on a one weeks notice. I thought it was totally smart for Jones to turn that down. Even if it was a high school geek I would've turned down the fight on a weeks notice. this isn't street fighting, these are peoples careers we're talking about.

I see what you're saying, but this also isn't boxing. It's called the ULTIMATE FIGHTING CHAMPIONSHIP for a reason. These guys are paid to fight. The history of the sport had fighters fighting multiple fights in a night without time limits.

People can see it like you and Chaz. That Jones needed more time to prepare or that he didn't feel like Sonnen deserved to fight him.

I see it as a "fighter," known to be top 3 P4P in MMA, not stepping up for the organization that helped solidify your status as one of the best. Sonnen is good, but we're talking about Jones here. Jones dismantled Bonner, Bader, Shogun, Machida, Rampage, Vera, and Rashad. I feel like he was totally prepared for Sonnen.
[ Edited by SF69ers on Aug 30, 2012 at 7:31 AM ]
i see the point of it, but i don't really buy into the "nothing to gain" for Jones argument as much as most, and yes Sonnen hadn't earned a title shot. but there's a good chance Jones/Sonnen was going to happen anyways and Jones could have just ended any talk of that in the future, or at the very least put sonnen to the back of the line and delay it for a few years... by then Sonnen would be late 30's and well past prime.
Eric Koch injured and out of his fight with Aldo for UFC 153. Frankie Edgar takes the call and gets the fight against Aldo. HELL YEAH!

That's what I'm talking about! Fighter stepping up!

Eric Koch injured and out of his fight with Aldo for UFC 153. Frankie Edgar takes the call and gets the fight against Aldo. HELL YEAH!

what!!! he doesn't deserve a title shot yet!!!!

Take that, Jones!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Take that, Jones!

Umm yah, the fight is also more than a month away, nice try doe.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Take that, Jones!

Umm yah, the fight is also more than a month away, nice try doe.

and neither are sponsored by the UFC.

(double checks ......)

Edgar is going to take a beating. Edgar is moving down because he knows he can't beat Ben Henderson. Henderson is a stud, but he's no Aldo. Frankie's biggest asset was his mobility and speed. Aldo is faster and extremely more violent. Aldo going destroy Frankie's legs with his kicks.

As for Sonnen, he'd get spanked by most of the top LHWs. He doesn't belong in there with Jones. Thats just Dana White trying to sell a PPV.
[ Edited by strickac on Aug 31, 2012 at 5:15 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone