LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

Oakland Athletics thread

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
28th highest payroll in baseball, 4th best record in the league currently.

money ball can't do this every year though. it's baseball, every year there's some team who's been bad for 4-5 years and they become a contender for the next 2-3 years because they draft so early. until they have to sell their talent because they can't afford them, and suck again for 4-5 years.

this isn't the first time A's had a low payroll and were great, but it doesn't last.
[ Edited by TheGore49er on Aug 27, 2018 at 6:50 PM ]
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
28th highest payroll in baseball, 4th best record in the league currently.

money ball can't do this every year though. it's baseball, every year there's some team who's been bad for 4-5 years and they become a contender for the next 2-3 years because they draft so early. until they have to sell their talent because they can't afford them, and suck again for 4-5 years.

this isn't the first time A's had a low payroll and were great, but it doesn't last.

Yep. This is the payoff for trading previous players who have made similar runs. It's a vicious cycle, but it's fun every couple years.
Originally posted by TheGore49er:

When you're a low revenue team playing in a s**tbox stadium, you're not going to be able to drop $200 million a year on payroll.

Anyways if you've seen the A's roster you know they haven't been winning because of a ton of high draft picks. They lost 4/5ths of their starting rotation from the guys they began the season with due to injury, they are cobbled together by a bunch of journeyman players. Nobody expected them to win 75 games in the entire season, let alone before September.
When you're a low revenue team playing in a s**tbox stadium, you're not going to be able to drop $200 million a year on payroll.

Anyways if you've seen the A's roster you know they haven't been winning because of a ton of high draft picks. They lost 4/5ths of their starting rotation from the guys they began the season with due to injury, they are cobbled together by a bunch of journeyman players. Nobody expected them to win 75 games in the entire season, let alone before September.

Yeah I had them at 80 wins this year... they have 84 on September 7th. So crazy.
Double header

10-0

21-3

Wow!
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Magic number is 3...meanwhile the Giants are tied for the 4th worst record in the National League....
Originally posted by jcs:
Magic number is 3...meanwhile the Giants are tied for the 4th worst record in the National League....

Cant win em every year.

• jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:

Cant win em every year.

I know right....the 89 one is my favorite...
[ Edited by jcs on Sep 22, 2018 at 5:41 PM ]
Cant win em every year.

Oh I like this kind of party.

Postseason!!!

Cant win em every year.

Ah, yes another A's playoff collapse incoming.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Ah, yes another A's playoff collapse incoming.

At least they made it far enough to collapse! In your face loser!

I am a diehard Giants fan and used to hate the A's with a passion. However, I have to say that it would be pretty cool to see a team with the lowest payroll beat NY, Boston, and either Cleveland or Houston. Feel good story for a bunch of guys that no one gave a chance to win. I will be rooting for them over the Yankees for sure.
I just hope they beat the Yankees
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I just hope they beat the Yankees

Not so confident ever since Mananea went down. The rotation is cobbled together with duct tape. Not sure who would go in the WC game.
Share 49ersWebzone