LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 367 users in the forums

2013 Oakland A's thread

Originally posted by socalfan21:
If we were facing Fister at home yes I would agree but we are facing Justin effin Verlander. That 'one game away' is so far ahead. I hope we win I really do but I truly believe this was our chance and boy did we have multiple chances.

we really did.

honestly, Im hoping that we knock Verlander out by the 6th inning and beat their bullpen, even if it's Scherzer, because he didn't do well today. Colon or Gray should both pitch well at home. We could win on Thursday, I'm not giving up yet.
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Originally posted by socalfan21:
If we were facing Fister at home yes I would agree but we are facing Justin effin Verlander. That 'one game away' is so far ahead. I hope we win I really do but I truly believe this was our chance and boy did we have multiple chances.

we really did.

honestly, Im hoping that we knock Verlander out by the 6th inning and beat their bullpen, even if it's Scherzer, because he didn't do well today. Colon or Gray should both pitch well at home. We could win on Thursday, I'm not giving up yet.

Yeah I hear you. Well we will see.
Well that was nice, an implosion by the bullpen combined with a HUGE late-inning choke job with the bats. What an absolute gut-punch that game was. And as a reward now they get Verlander in a Game 5...and not the "something's wrong" Verlander from most of the season, but the 2011-12 Verlander who's been filthy over his past 3-4 starts.
I feel the same way I did last year. I feel like the A's play better team baseball but Detroit just capitalize better. I feel like with the way Fister was pitching they should have put a lot more runs across the plate in the first three innings.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
I feel the same way I did last year. I feel like the A's play better team baseball but Detroit just capitalize better. I feel like with the way Fister was pitching they should have put a lot more runs across the plate in the first three innings.

I agree
detroit really isnt that great, the A's beat themselves.
Head up, fellas. After game one, we were just fine with a Game 5 scenario. I've already purchased my seats to the game on Thursday night. I'll be liquored up, nervous, and possibly belligerent before first pitch. Hopefully, the A's send me home with something to be happy about.
Originally posted by DaDDieO:
Head up, fellas. After game one, we were just fine with a Game 5 scenario. I've already purchased my seats to the game on Thursday night. I'll be liquored up, nervous, and possibly belligerent before first pitch. Hopefully, the A's send me home with something to be happy about.

We gonna win!
Someone explain to me that HR? I thought the rule was pretty cut and dry. If a fan reaches into the field of play that is fan interference and the HR should not have counted. Not that they go to replay and then try to decide whether it still would have gone out or the A's player could have caught it without the fan reaching out.
They ruled that the fan didnt reach into the field of play, but rather that the contact happened outside/above the HR line with Reddick extending out of the field of play. Therefore contact is permitted.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Someone explain to me that HR? I thought the rule was pretty cut and dry. If a fan reaches into the field of play that is fan interference and the HR should not have counted. Not that they go to replay and then try to decide whether it still would have gone out or the A's player could have caught it without the fan reaching out.

I honestly don't think Reddick was going to catch it, from the side angle the trajectory looks to me like it was going to hit hit the railing a good 6+" over his glove...HOWEVER, though, according to what I've bolded below from the rule, it does seem like interference should've been called and batter is out.

3.16 When there is spectator interference with any thrown or batted ball, the ball shall be dead at the moment of interference and the umpire shall impose such penalties as in his opinion will nullify the act of interference.APPROVED RULING: If spectator interference clearly prevents a fielder from catching a fly ball, the umpire shall declare the batter out.

Rule 3.16 Comment: There is a difference between a ball which has been thrown or batted into the stands, touching a spectator thereby being out of play even though it rebounds onto the field and a spectator going onto the field or reaching over, under or through a barrier and touching a ball in play or touching or otherwise interfering with a player. In the latter case it is clearly intentional and shall be dealt with as intentional interference as in Rule 3.15.

Batter and runners shall be placed where in the umpire's judgment they would have been had the interference not occurred.No interference shall be allowed when a fielder reaches over a fence, railing, rope or into a stand to catch a ball. He does so at his own risk. However, should a spectator reach out on the playing field side of such fence, railing or rope, and plainly prevent the fielder from catching the ball, then the batsman should be called out for the spectator's interference.

Example: Runner on third base, one out and a batter hits a fly ball deep to the outfield (fair or foul). Spectator clearly interferes with the outfielder attempting to catch the fly ball. Umpire calls the batter out for spectator interference. Ball is dead at the time of the call. Umpire decides that because of the distance the ball was hit, the runner on third base would have scored after the catch if the fielder had caught the ball which was interfered with, therefore, the runner is permitted to score. This might not be the case if such fly ball was interfered with a short distance from home plate.

• A-R-S
  • Veteran
Who is surprised? Lack of hitting with RISP has been the achilles' heel of this team for, literally, the past 10 years.
Originally posted by A-R-S:
Who is surprised? Lack of hitting with RISP has been the achilles' heel of this team for, literally, the past 10 years.

Could easily have won today or game 1 with a single or even sac fly
I'm told national writers in #Rays pressbox already complaining about trip to Detroit for #ALCS. No faith in #Athetics vs Verlander. #Tigers

— Kevin Gehl (@KevinGehlWLNS) October 9, 2013

LOL
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran

Yeah thats my point. They've never been able to get the big hit.... ever.
Originally posted by A-R-S:

Yeah thats my point. They've never been able to get the big hit.... ever.

Who cares about the hit. All they needed was contact on bases loaded no outs.
Share 49ersWebzone