LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 156 users in the forums

2012-13 Foshay Wolverines Thread (LEAGUE CHAMPIONS!!!!)

73-58 loss tonight vs. VAAS HS in the Championship game of the tournament. Incredibly valuable game though. A couple of the guys that I recently got back are talented, but haven't played organized ball in 2 years. They're used to getting away with certain things on the court strictly because they're talented, but tonight they got burned. VAAS runs a very aggressive 2-2-1 press, and my guys often stubbornly tried to dribble through it in the first half instead of using our press break to create easy opportunities. As the game went on, they started to get it, but it was too little, too late. Tonight's game was a good "this is why we work on these things" game on both ends of the court.

As a side note, I can't stand VAAS, and really want to face them in the playoffs. (yes, we ARE making playoffs this year) Check out the scores of some of their games this year....

115-32
87-23
92-35
93-30
105-26

Why? Because they press the entire game, even if they're up by 60 in the 4th quarter against some overmatched group of kids.

I'd love to face him in the playoffs after we've had a few more practices with our full roster.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Dec 29, 2012 at 11:42 PM ]
Sounds like you got some Vince Carters on your team.
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Sounds like you got some Vince Carters on your team.

Heh. Nah...they're talented and well meaning, they're just inexperienced when it comes to playing organized ball. They'll be alright with time.

It's funny...my team in the first 12 games was scoring almost all of their points off of offensive execution. Very little in the way of transition buckets or one-on-one play. The team in the last 4 games has been the exact opposite.

If I can get these new guys to understand and embrace how execution helps make their lives easier and gets them more buckets, we'll be in business. I don't have a whole lotta time to accomplish that though.
Lol in AAU when we would beat teams badly like that there was literally a rule where you had to stop pressing if you were up a certain amount
Won our first league game today on the road against Angelou HS, 58-52.

It's funny...we couldn't make an outside shot to save our lives, our best player had a lackluster game, we were down by 12 in the first half on the road, we were far too frantic on offense...and still grinded out a victory. This was our first "character" win in my tenure. They're really growing up. Now if they can just slow the f**k down on offense we'll be on to something.

Also, my team captain got the Congressional Nomination for West Point today. Now it's all up to West Point. I think he'll get in. I'm really excited.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Won our first league game today on the road against Angelou HS, 58-52.

It's funny...we couldn't make an outside shot to save our lives, our best player had a lackluster game, we were down by 12 in the first half on the road, we were far too frantic on offense...and still grinded out a victory. This was our first "character" win in my tenure. They're really growing up. Now if they can just slow the f**k down on offense we'll be on to something.

Also, my team captain got the Congressional Nomination for West Point today. Now it's all up to West Point. I think he'll get in. I'm really excited.

Congrats Pete. I for one am just happy you have something to take your mind off the Lakers dream roster failing miserably. :P
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Congrats Pete. I for one am just happy you have something to take your mind off the Lakers dream roster failing miserably. :P

No s**t, man. I have seriously had that same thought at least a dozen times this year while watching the Lakers.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I must be old (51) and out of touch, why aren't all the players dressed in game attire for a team photo?
Originally posted by BobS:
I must be old (51) and out of touch, why aren't all the players dressed in game attire for a team photo?

Because it's a picture of the all-tournament selections from multiple schools, right after a game.

Exactly how many assistant coaches do you think I have?
Won our home opener tonight 53-48. Battled back again from a double digit deficit in the 1st half and didn't get the lead until about 2 minutes left in the game. I'm proud of their ability to face adversity, but we gotta start games out better. We're playing with fire right now, and we're gonna face a team that won't let us come back all the way. But a win is a win. I'll take it. We've now won 8 out of 10 games.

10-8 overall, 2-0 in league. Friday vs. Hawkins HS.

Won our home opener tonight 53-48. Battled back again from a double digit deficit in the 1st half and didn't get the lead until about 2 minutes left in the game. I'm proud of their ability to face adversity, but we gotta start games out better. We're playing with fire right now, and we're gonna face a team that won't let us come back all the way. But a win is a win. I'll take it. We've now won 8 out of 10 games.

10-8 overall, 2-0 in league. Friday vs. Hawkins HS.

cough cough 2011/12 Lakers cough
71-45 win over Hawkins HS today. This was our most well played game in my tenure. We've had a couple of "breakthrough" games, but this one was the most satisfying. We took the kids to a UC-Riverside game yesterday, and it was like a light bulb went on today. The patience, the execution, the understanding....just an amazing leap forward. They play with a ton of heart just about every game, but today they started showing a greater understanding of what basketball is supposed to look like. Watching these kids grow up on and off the court is incredibly gratifying.

11-8 overall, 3-0 in league. Wednesday vs. Middle College.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
71-45 win over Hawkins HS today. This was our most well played game in my tenure. We've had a couple of "breakthrough" games, but this one was the most satisfying. We took the kids to a UC-Riverside game yesterday, and it was like a light bulb went on today. The patience, the execution, the understanding....just an amazing leap forward. They play with a ton of heart just about every game, but today they started showing a greater understanding of what basketball is supposed to look like. Watching these kids grow up on and off the court is incredibly gratifying.

11-8 overall, 3-0 in league. Wednesday vs. Middle College.

Congrats on the win!
Sounds like you got a bunch of kids that really love basketball and want to get better. That's rare and I can appreciate that.

Keep up the good work.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Share 49ersWebzone