LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 320 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by skeetskeet:
Can't wait for baseball.

We already set our fantasy draft order. Have the number 1 pick.

Tough choice between posey trout Cabrera etc. good times.

Its not a tough choice. You take Trout.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Buster Olney Blog: Top 10 teams with critique from scouts

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a column with my first top 10 power rankings of winter. That top 10 stands for today's column, but I asked talent evaluators to critique the list and provide input on where they disagree.

To repeat: The top 10 rankings are mine; the commentary is from folks who work within the sport, from GMs to assistant GMs to scouts.

The ranking of one American League team, in particular, drew a lot of scrutiny, and my team at the top was also questioned.

1. San Francisco Giants

Longtime evaluator: "To me, the Giants are the best example of what a crapshoot the postseason is. I don't think they're a great team, but they've played well in a couple of Octobers; they were lucky. I don't think they're the best team."

NL evaluator: "They won World Series, but just about everything went right; I'm not sure if that will happen again."

^^^^shows how much they paid attention.
Originally posted by jimrat:

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a column with my first top 10 power rankings of winter. That top 10 stands for today's column, but I asked talent evaluators to critique the list and provide input on where they disagree.

To repeat: The top 10 rankings are mine; the commentary is from folks who work within the sport, from GMs to assistant GMs to scouts.

The ranking of one American League team, in particular, drew a lot of scrutiny, and my team at the top was also questioned.

1. San Francisco Giants

Longtime evaluator: "To me, the Giants are the best example of what a crapshoot the postseason is. I don't think they're a great team, but they've played well in a couple of Octobers; they were lucky. I don't think they're the best team."

NL evaluator: "They won World Series, but just about everything went right; I'm not sure if that will happen again."

We got lucky 3 straight times on the road in Cincy? Then we got lucky again 7 games in a row to finish it?

Or did we just have a great pitching staff, and good hitters that stepped up on the big stage...

Ive never seen a team accomplish so much, yet get so little credit. The media sucks. They cant stand when the story they predicted (the one they wanted to write about) doesnt happen.
Evaluators?

Sound like haters to me.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Evaluators?

Sound like haters to me.

They can evaluate how our champion kaks taste!
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by jimrat:

1. San Francisco Giants

We got lucky 3 straight times on the road in Cincy? Then we got lucky again 7 games in a row to finish it?

Or did we just have a great pitching staff, and good hitters that stepped up on the big stage...

Ive never seen a team accomplish so much, yet get so little credit. The media sucks. They cant stand when the story they predicted (the one they wanted to write about) doesnt happen.

Longtime evaluator: Dodgers rep

NL evaluator: Cardinals rep

• jimrat
  • Veteran
LOL ^^
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Evaluators?

Sound like haters to me.

They can evaluate how our champion kaks taste!

• MuggD
  • Veteran
Didn't the Twins win a couple WS's a few years apart? I remember thinking they were lucky to win those as I was a kid. Even to this day that's what I think of when I think about their Championships.

Originally posted by Muggins:
Didn't the Twins win a couple WS's a few years apart? I remember thinking they were lucky to win those as I was a kid. Even to this day that's what I think of when I think about their Championships.

yeah, 1987 and 1991.
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Muggins:

yeah, 1987 and 1991.

Yeah. I remember Dan Gladden and his blonde mullet scoring the winning run in one of those and just thinking... wow this squad is lucky.
eh, i dunno. The diff between the number 1 catcher and the number 5 catcher is LARGE. the diff between number 1 OF and number 5 is very minimal.
eh, i dunno. The diff between the number 1 catcher and the number 5 catcher is LARGE. the diff between number 1 OF and number 5 is very minimal.

The #1 fantasy pick has to be between Miggy and Trout. I dont think Posey should even be in the consideration. Cabrera at 3B>>>>>> Posey
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

The #1 fantasy pick has to be between Miggy and Trout. I dont think Posey should even be in the consideration. Cabrera at 3B>>>>>> Posey

Fantasy wise, its Trout, not close. With a full 6 months next year, Trout could very well post .325 avg., 35 HR, 55 SB, 100 RBI, 140 R.

That value will dwarf Cabrera's .325 avg., 40 HR, 0 SB, 120 RBI, 110 R imo.

I think the top 3 picks should be Trout, Cabrera, Posey, but theres a fairly big gap between each of them.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Jan 5, 2013 at 4:08 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone