LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 209 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by dcsham:
John, I know you are always willing to give Sabean SOME credit, usually after the fact lol. At least you don't say he just hits it lucky with players off of the scrap heap.

And I agree that LF is not strong, but let's wait and see how it plays out. I don't think it will be necessary to "weaken the farm system to defend our title". Look for Sabean and Bochy to make the right moves once the season starts, whether that means a waiver wire pickup or perhaps a trade. Doubtful there will be any blockbuster moves either way, and I still like our lineup when you look at Buster being fully healed, Belt being more mature, Sandoval with no more bones to break in his hand, and having the Scutaro/Crawford combo all year. Not to mention Pagan and Pence.

You're right DC. I have never been for that. You might remember that I called Sabean an idiot at the time for doing just that in 2011 and giving up our best prospect. I dont want to give up the farm system unless it was for a young,stud who we controlled for a few years ( such as Stanton)

Yes you did, but also remember he re-tooled the lineup to win another title this year. Lol, you and I will never agree on Sabean. That's ok, we both know he's not trash.
Originally posted by dcsham:
Yes you did, but also remember he re-tooled the lineup to win another title this year. Lol, you and I will never agree on Sabean. That's ok, we both know he's not trash.

ichiro would have been an interesting sign
You're right DC. I have never been for that. You might remember that I called Sabean an idiot at the time for doing just that in 2011 and giving up our best prospect. I dont want to give up the farm system unless it was for a young,stud who we controlled for a few years ( such as Stanton)

But we ultimately got the guy you wanted to trade wheeler for. So its a wash.
Originally posted by skeetskeet:

I cant speak for John, but I didnt want to deal Wheeler for either of them.
Anyone a little offended that Ichiro didn't wanna play for SF, even after winning a couple WS titles? I am. Hope he has a failure of a season.
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Anyone a little offended that Ichiro didn't wanna play for SF, even after winning a couple WS titles? I am. Hope he has a failure of a season.

Couldn't care less.
Originally posted by Niners99:

I can only imagine he's glad about that.

Not one bit lol.

Say what? I never wanted to trade Wheeler for Hunter Pence.

Not at all. I admire someone who actually will take less money because he liked his situation and is happy where he is. It isnt always about the money - or shouldnt be anyway.

Not at all. I admire someone who actually will take less money because he liked his situation and is happy where he is. It isnt always about the money - or shouldnt be anyway.

I just find it weird that we either cant sign any Asian players, or have no interest. SF is probably the most Asian friendly city in the country, so youd think itd be an attractive place to come play. We havent had anyone since Tsuyoshi Shinjo in 2002.

Im not complaining, since most of the time they come WAY too expensive, and end up busting. I just think its strange how the other major west coast cities, LA and SEA, have signed nearly half of all players coming across in the last decade, and we havent had anyone.

And Travis Ishikawa doesnt count. lol

I just find it weird that we either cant sign any Asian players, or have no interest. SF is probably the most Asian friendly city in the country, so youd think itd be an attractive place to come play. We havent had anyone since Tsuyoshi Shinjo in 2002.

Im not complaining, since most of the time they come WAY too expensive, and end up busting. I just think its strange how the other major west coast cities, LA and SEA, have signed nearly half of all players coming across in the last decade, and we havent had anyone.

And Travis Ishikawa doesnt count. lol

Actually, that's more of the point I was trying to make. Even with SF Giants recent success, I was hopeful more FAs would at least consider coming to the Bay Area. I'm a little surprised and disappointed that didn't happen. I wouldn't expect huge payouts like what Greinke and Hamilton got, but did expect more interest from FA players to openly discuss with their agents and the media that SF is a potential landing spot.
Another consideration for not going after pricey LF free agents is that we'll have 3 OFs in AAA that all have varying shots at becoming a decent major leaguer. None are close to being ready enough where the LF job can be handed to them, but that could change during the season or by spring training 2014. In that event, you don't want to tie up more payroll dollars in that position when you might have the solution sitting right there in Fresno.

- Gary Brown, their top positional player should be able to crush PCL pitching and I wouldn't be shocked to see him sometime in 2013
- Frankie Pegs is a raw kid with a lot of tools/talent who might even make the opening day roster as a reserve
- Roger Kieschnick is a wild card who's battled injuries but when healthy (which hasn't been often enough), has put up really good numbers at every stop

None of these kids project out as stars, but if anything, this team has proven that you don't need a star out in LF to win championships. Nor do you need a pricey free agent. Just solid defense, a few clutch hits here and there and you're good to go. Go ask Pat Burrell, Cody Ross, Gregor Blanco, Xavier Nady, Justin Christiansen, Brett Pill and now (or again) Andres Torres.
Most recent rumor is Angels will either trade Bourjos or Trumbo for pitching, wonder what it would take to get Trumbo (probably a lot).
Share 49ersWebzone