There are 140 users in the forums

2010 MLB Draft Thread

Originally posted by jimrat201:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Boston has just had an unreal draft so far. They got 2 kids in the compensation round that should have gone in round 1. Brentz is one of the best hitters in college baseball and Ranuado is a stud pitcher who would have gone much higher if not for injuries.

Brian Sabean should learn a lesson from the much younger Theo Epstein on what it takes to be a good GM

MLB draft is the biggest crapshoot out of all sports. Here today gone tomorrow.

It is a crapshoot but its also extremely critical to a teams success. Free agency certainly isnt the way to do it. The Giants have failed at drafting and developing position players under Sabean's regime and its why they struggle to score runs.

The NBA Draft isn't worth much either. Over time it's been reduced to 2 rounds.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SoCal9er:

The NBA Draft isn't worth much either. Over time it's been reduced to 2 rounds.

Ha ha I remember when it was 12 rounds back in the day.
Boston has just had an unreal draft so far. They got 2 kids in the compensation round that should have gone in round 1. Brentz is one of the best hitters in college baseball and Ranuado is a stud pitcher who would have gone much higher if not for injuries.

Brian Sabean should learn a lesson from the much younger Theo Epstein on what it takes to be a good GM

lol what?

Theo Epstein has a scrooge mcduck sized money vault to play with. his margin for error is huge. if a move he makes doesnt work, he just shrugs and spends more money on the next idea.

i dont think Theo Epstein is that impressive of a GM at all. the only thing hes really good at, is hyping up Red Sox prospects to elite levels when they arent that good. then he waits until someone bites on it, and deals them for good players. for example, the former "blue chip" Justin Masterson.
Originally posted by Niners99:

lol what?

Theo Epstein has a scrooge mcduck sized money vault to play with. his margin for error is huge. if a move he makes doesnt work, he just shrugs and spends more money on the next idea.

i dont think Theo Epstein is that impressive of a GM at all. the only thing hes really good at, is hyping up Red Sox prospects to elite levels when they arent that good. then he waits until someone bites on it, and deals them for good players. for example, the former "blue chip" Justin Masterson.

You can LOL all you want but lets examine the facts:

Accomplishments:
2 World Series titles in his 6 years as GM.
Sporting News Executive of the Decade - awarded in 2009

Draft:
While drafting near the bottom of the draft was able to draft Jacoby Ellsbury, Dustin Pedroia, and Kevin Youkils (was asst GM in that yr). Compare that to Sabean's record of drafting NO position players that have produced at all over a much longer span of time. He also drafted Pappelbon in rd 4 and Buckholtz so he was able to draft a complete team.

Trades:
Curt Schilling for Casey Fossum, Brandon Lyons, and Jorge DeLa Rosa
Coco Crisp for basically nothing
Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell for Hanley (yes I know he gave up a great young prospect in Hanley but Beckett was and is a big game warrior that won them a WS)

FA Signings:
David Ortiz - 1 year 1.25 million ( gee I guess that worked out OK)
Okajima - 2 years/2.5 million - ya horrible spending there
Matsuzaka - yes they spent a lot 6/52 but he has proved out
Bill Mueller - 2 yrs/4.5 million (off the scrap heap to AL batting champ)

While he did overspend on JD Drew.. I dont think he record is as follows:
Barry Zito 7 yrs 126 million
Aaron Rowand 5/60
Dave Roberts 3/18
Randy Winn 3/23
Matt Morris 3/27
Armando Benitez 3/21
Edgardo Alfonso 4/26
Ray Durham 3/20

So.. while Epstein does have a big payroll he hasnt thrown it away like Brian Sabean has on underperforming crap. He also hasnt traded away prospects like
Francisco Liriano and Joe Nathan for a player that had 1 year left on a contract.

You dont have to think he is a good GM. Personally, I would take him any day of the week.
Now Boston gets Brandon Workman one of the top college pitchers in baseball.

Vitek
Brentz
Ranuado
Workman

They could stop right now and this draft is a success.

Vitek
Brentz
Ranuado
Workman

that really is an outstanding draft. I was mentioning to my friend yesterday that I was jealous of it.
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:

Vitek
Brentz
Ranuado
Workman

that really is an outstanding draft. I was mentioning to my friend yesterday that I was jealous of it.

It's very easy to spend money when you have year and year out the biggest draft budget of anyone. The mlb draft system is broken.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

Vitek
Brentz
Ranuado
Workman

It's very easy to spend money when you have year and year out the biggest draft budget of anyone. The mlb draft system is broken.

Actually. Vitek and Brentz are reportedly already prepared to sign for slot...
  • Hopper
  • Veteran

lol what?

Accomplishments:

Draft:
While drafting near the bottom of the draft was able to draft Jacoby Ellsbury, Dustin Pedroia, and Kevin Youkils (was asst GM in that yr). Compare that to Sabean's record of drafting NO position players that have produced at all over a much longer span of time. He also drafted Pappelbon in rd 4 and Buckholtz so he was able to draft a complete team.

Trades:
Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell for Hanley (yes I know he gave up a great young prospect in Hanley but Beckett was and is a big game warrior that won them a WS)

FA Signings:

Aaron Rowand 5/60
Dave Roberts 3/18
Randy Winn 3/23
Matt Morris 3/27
Armando Benitez 3/21
Edgardo Alfonso 4/26
Ray Durham 3/20

So.. while Epstein does have a big payroll he hasnt thrown it away like Brian Sabean has on underperforming crap. He also hasnt traded away prospects like
Francisco Liriano and Joe Nathan for a player that had 1 year left on a contract.

You dont have to think he is a good GM. Personally, I would take him any day of the week.

A lot of Red sox fans love to complain about Epstien and I just smh. They really don't appreciate they have one of better gm's in baseball.

Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

Vitek
Brentz
Ranuado
Workman

Actually. Vitek and Brentz are reportedly already prepared to sign for slot...

Not surprised about Vitek. A little surprised Brentz isn't asking for more but I guess he feels he has nothing to gain by going back to college and Boston knows this so he must feel he has no leverage. I'm really surprised Brentz fell as far as he did, he isn't all that much worse than Choice imo.

I'm actually more upset about them getting 2 comp picks for Billy Wagner. How can a guy who only pitched a total of 1 year in the past 2 years be a type 1 FA?
Originally posted by Hopper:

lol what?

Accomplishments:

Draft:

Trades:

FA Signings:

Aaron Rowand 5/60
Dave Roberts 3/18
Randy Winn 3/23
Matt Morris 3/27
Armando Benitez 3/21
Edgardo Alfonso 4/26
Ray Durham 3/20

A lot of Red sox fans love to complain about Epstien and I just smh. They really don't appreciate they have one of better gm's in baseball.

It is amazing isnt it? All you have to do is look at his record and then compare it to our dunce of a GM and see the difference. Epstein doesnt have a perfect track record but its pretty damn good. While he does have a big budget he has certainly not had huge track record of wasting money like others.

It is a crapshoot but its also extremely critical to a teams success. Free agency certainly isnt the way to do it. The Giants have failed at drafting and developing position players under Sabean's regime and its why they struggle to score runs.

Minus that Gerald Demp Posey guy
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

Minus that Gerald Demp Posey guy

Hell.. we both know that any dope in the Zone would have taken the College Player of the Year with that pick.
Lol the Giants have drafted at least 5 different players listed as CFs.
Share 49ersWebzone