SF Giants Off Season Thread

• JMC52
  • Veteran
Whats the chances of us getting Ruiz?
Originally posted by JMC52:
Whats the chances of us getting Ruiz?

Jose Julio Ruiz

Are we talking about Jose Julio Ruiz?

Okay - now I know. Love for the Giants to land the guy. Probably needs a person to "baby sit" him". Not so easy to jump into another world.

I watch baseball on Cubavision and I am impressed with these guys. If only they would smile. None of them look as if they were having a good time. I wonder why.

[ Edited by RogerCraig on Feb 15, 2010 at 10:44:50 ]
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
Once again , for the less enlightened - Not for me , you understand -

How many players are teams allowed to carry into spring training?

Cut off dates for roster?

My understanding is that teams can invite any number of players to camp. After 1 week in camp you start to see teams moving players from Major League camp to Minor league Camp. I don't remember the exact cut down figures but it isn't like football with designated dates. When teams break from their camps they must be down to 30 players. Before the first pitch on Opening day for that team they must be down to 25, the size of roster they will carry until Sept 1 when the rosters expand to 40. It doesn't work like football where they can only open with 83, cut to 75, then to 55 or whatever the numbers are.

Pitchers and Catchers come to camp first are are required to be in Camp one week prior to Veterens report date. During the time when Pitchers and Catchers report you will also see any number of minor leaguers show up plus all that were listed on the injury report at the end of the previous regular season. The first day of camp is Physicals, room assignments, the buddy program (a vet with a rook) (minor leaguers together) (Injured players together) not by position tho, the Mets did that in 75.

The Second day of camp is filled with isometrics, short toss, some long toss and wind sprints to gauge off season conditioning. At least that was the way it was in my time.
Originally posted by BigRon:

My understanding is that teams can invite any number of players to camp. After 1 week in camp you start to see teams moving players from Major League camp to Minor league Camp. I don't remember the exact cut down figures but it isn't like football with designated dates. When teams break from their camps they must be down to 30 players. Before the first pitch on Opening day for that team they must be down to 25, the size of roster they will carry until Sept 1 when the rosters expand to 40. It doesn't work like football where they can only open with 83, cut to 75, then to 55 or whatever the numbers are.

Pitchers and Catchers come to camp first are are required to be in Camp one week prior to Veterens report date. During the time when Pitchers and Catchers report you will also see any number of minor leaguers show up plus all that were listed on the injury report at the end of the previous regular season. The first day of camp is Physicals, room assignments, the buddy program (a vet with a rook) (minor leaguers together) (Injured players together) not by position tho, the Mets did that in 75.

The Second day of camp is filled with isometrics, short toss, some long toss and wind sprints to gauge off season conditioning. At least that was the way it was in my time.

You stated it better than I could have. My friends say "Thank you"

Tell them, You're welcome and make sure they sign up at www.ExtremeGiants.com

I am signed up.

I am signed up.

I am too. Hopefully the quality of posters will improve this year. It was really weak last year.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I am signed up.

I am too. Hopefully the quality of posters will improve this year. It was really weak last year.
Jose Julio Ruiz Close To Signing
By Mike Axisa [February 14, 2010 at 9:33am CST]

Cuban first baseman Jose Julio Ruiz may be close to signing according to a report from Luis E. Rangel of the Miami-based Nuevo Herald, which was passed along by MLBTR's resident translator Nick Collias. Here are some quotes from Ruiz's agent, Jorge Luis Toca...
“In the coming week he should be signed. Perhaps we’ll be announcing something on Wednesday.”

“Toronto, Texas, Boston, San Francisco, Tampa Bay and Colorado are the ones who have shown the most interest. We are also expecting an offer from the Yankees.”

“The idea is to find a team where there is the most opportunity to rise quickly.”

With regards to the last point, Toca noted that the Yankees are the least appealing team because of the presence of Mark Teixeira. Despite that, Ruiz is currently working out at the Yanks' complex in the Dominican Republic, and Toca indicated that "millions" of dollars were being discussed with teams, as well as an invitation to Spring Training.

The 25-year-old Ruiz hit .305/.408/.467 over 52 games in the Serie Nacional last season before suddenly defecting to the Dominican. ESPN's Jorge Arangure noted that he was more than just a masher relegated to first base, offering speed and athleticism.
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
Jose Julio Ruiz Close To Signing
By Mike Axisa [February 14, 2010 at 9:33am CST]

Cuban first baseman Jose Julio Ruiz may be close to signing according to a report from Luis E. Rangel of the Miami-based Nuevo Herald, which was passed along by MLBTR's resident translator Nick Collias. Here are some quotes from Ruiz's agent, Jorge Luis Toca...
“In the coming week he should be signed. Perhaps we’ll be announcing something on Wednesday.”

“Toronto, Texas, Boston, San Francisco, Tampa Bay and Colorado are the ones who have shown the most interest. We are also expecting an offer from the Yankees.”

“The idea is to find a team where there is the most opportunity to rise quickly.”

With regards to the last point, Toca noted that the Yankees are the least appealing team because of the presence of Mark Teixeira. Despite that, Ruiz is currently working out at the Yanks' complex in the Dominican Republic, and Toca indicated that "millions" of dollars were being discussed with teams, as well as an invitation to Spring Training.

The 25-year-old Ruiz hit .305/.408/.467 over 52 games in the Serie Nacional last season before suddenly defecting to the Dominican. ESPN's Jorge Arangure noted that he was more than just a masher relegated to first base, offering speed and athleticism.

Do we have a good shot at landing this guy? How close would he be to playing in the major league?

• Hopper
  • Veteran
Toronto and Texas will have Justin Smoak and Brett Wallace at first base.
Yanks have Teixeira.
Sox have Youkilis
Rockies have Helton
Rays have Pena

If he wanted his quickest shot to the majors. He should take his chances with us because Huff is a bigger question mark than any of those guys listed.

[ Edited by Hopper on Feb 15, 2010 at 13:00:33 ]
Originally posted by Hopper:
Yanks have Teixeira.
Sox have Youkilis
Rockies have Helton
Rays have Pena

If he wanted his quickest shot to the majors. He should take his chances with us because Huff is a bigger question mark than any of those guys listed.

Rockies would be attractive because of the park and Heltons age. However, I agree that the Giants would be much more attractive than those other teams. Hopefully, the kid will see that and sign with us.
Yanks have Teixeira.
Sox have Youkilis
Rockies have Helton
Rays have Pena

Rockies would be attractive because of the park and Heltons age. However, I agree that the Giants would be much more attractive than those other teams. Hopefully, the kid will see that and sign with us.

Por favor, ven aca señor
Yanks have Teixeira.
Sox have Youkilis
Rockies have Helton
Rays have Pena

Por favor, ven aca señor

We are also always a strong candidate with Hispanic prospects, although I realize it says his primary interest is playing time. Well, we have both.
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
Yanks have Teixeira.
Sox have Youkilis
Rockies have Helton
Rays have Pena

Por favor, ven aca señor

We are also always a strong candidate with Hispanic prospects, although I realize it says his primary interest is playing time. Well, we have both.

We have Pablito, José, Eugenio, Angelito, y otros jugadores quien pueden hablar Español.

Ven Acá! Te necesitamos muy urgente.
Share 49ersWebzone