There are 262 users in the forums

SF Giants Off Season Thread

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
Eugenio Velez - if he would just learn to hit, catch and run the bases.

So, in other words, learn to be a decent baseball player?

The Giants haven't locked Timmy up for the long-term because there are always going to be questions about his durability due to his stature and delivery. If he tears it up again, you can guarantee the team will pay out the ass to lock him up for most of his career. The front office is stupid, but they aren't THAT stupid. He's the face of the franchise.

Is it also possible that they couldn't pay him that much because of Zito's contract? And if Timmy shows he is durable then lock him up after 2 years when the Zito's contract is almost gone?

Note, I am not that familiar with how Zito's contract breaks down.

I could be wrong but i think Zito still has 3-4 years left, Rowand has 3 and Renteria has 1. Can't wait to get rid of those messy contracts
Yay for Timmy!
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Yay for Timmy!

cosigned
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Here is what I think the deal should be for Timmy:

2010 10.5 million ( surpasses the 10 million that Howard got)
2011 13.0
2012 15.5

total 39 million for 3 years with a 2.5 million increase each year. Fair for both sides

I am a bit surprised both teams didnt do a deal like this one I proposed yesterday. The two years were almost identical (23.5 vs 23) but would have jumped him up to 15.5 in year 3. I really think this would have been a much better deal for both sides.

The Giants are really fortunate that Lincecum isnt a greedy b*****d as I truly feel that he gave them a great deal.

I read the Giants offered 3 yrs 37 mil but Timmy turned it down. Pretty ballsy to leave 14 mil on the table.

Also, i saw a headline that said can the Giants keep Cain? It was an insider article, Anyone know what that's about?
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:

2011 13.0
2012 15.5

total 39 million for 3 years with a 2.5 million increase each year. Fair for both sides

I am a bit surprised both teams didnt do a deal like this one I proposed yesterday. The two years were almost identical (23.5 vs 23) but would have jumped him up to 15.5 in year 3. I really think this would have been a much better deal for both sides.

The Giants are really fortunate that Lincecum isnt a greedy b*****d as I truly feel that he gave them a great deal.

I read the Giants offered 3 yrs 37 mil but Timmy turned it down. Pretty ballsy to leave 14 mil on the table.

Also, i saw a headline that said can the Giants keep Cain? It was an insider article, Anyone know what that's about?

I think we have him locked up for a few more years (maybe 2 or 3?) but hopefully contracts can be structured around the crappy contracts of Zito and Rowand
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

2011 13.0
2012 15.5

I think we have him locked up for a few more years (maybe 2 or 3?) but hopefully contracts can be structured around the crappy contracts of Zito and Rowand

Im pretty sure Zito's contract is off the books once Timmy's arb years are done
Originally posted by AC49er:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

2011 13.0
2012 15.5

Im pretty sure Zito's contract is off the books once Timmy's arb years are done

Zito's contract runs through 2013. In 2014 the Giants will pay him $7 million to go bye bye. Lincecum becomes a FA after the 2012 season. So, the 2013 season would be VERY expensive if they sign Timmy. The good news is Zito will be gone after than yr.
Timmy!!
You know, the more I think about it, the more I appreciate what Timmy has done for the Giants.

How many games did he lose by 1 or 2 runs. Little support at times for Timbo. A break down of the games in which he has pitched would be interesting.

The burden to go out and pitch flawless baseball every time to give the team a win is like mega awesome.

He says he wants to spend his whole career here - we'll see.

After a 2 or 3 three years with no division titles, at the very least, Timmy might just bid us adieu.

[ Edited by RogerCraig on Feb 12, 2010 at 23:09:35 ]
You know, the more I think about it, the more I appreciate what Timmy has done for the Giants.

How many games did he lose by 1 or 2 runs. Little support at times for Timbo. A break down of the games in which he has pitched would be interesting.

The burden to go out and pitch flawless baseball every time to give the team a win is like mega awesome.

After a 2 or 3 three years with no division titles, at the very least, Timmy might just bid us adieu.

2 or 3 years in the future with no division titles? Wait a second can you see the future? We have a pretty damn good future. With Pablo getting even better, and with Posey starting to come up and hopefully play well for the next few years, and some other prospects ready in a year or 2 we should win atleast 1 or 2 in the next few years. Hell we have a chance to win it this year since CO and LA both got worse. As much as the signings of DeRosa and Huff weren't amazing signings that blow your socks off or anything, we still have a chance to put together some sort of offense and give our pitchers a chance to win games. You're way too negative on this team man. We have some damn good pitching, if Bumgarner does okay 1-5 we have top 5 pitching in the MLB. Then if Pablo gets better, and Bengie has a decent year, and DeRosa has a pulse, and Schierholtz or whoever wins RF spot has a pulse, our pitching doesn't need to many runs to win games so we should be able to get enough to win some of these games.

Originally posted by WillistheWall:

How many games did he lose by 1 or 2 runs? Little support at times for Timbo. A break down of the games in which he has pitched would be interesting.

2 or 3 years in the future with no division titles? Wait a second can you see the future? We have a pretty damn good future. With Pablo getting even better, and with Posey starting to come up and hopefully play well for the next few years, and some other prospects ready in a year or 2 we should win atleast 1 or 2 in the next few years. Hell we have a chance to win it this year since CO and LA both got worse. As much as the signings of DeRosa and Huff weren't amazing signings that blow your socks off or anything, we still have a chance to put together some sort of offense and give our pitchers a chance to win games. You're way too negative on this team man. We have some damn good pitching, if Bumgarner does okay 1-5 we have top 5 pitching in the MLB. Then if Pablo gets better, and Bengie has a decent year, and DeRosa has a pulse, and Schierholtz or whoever wins RF spot has a pulse, our pitching doesn't need to many runs to win games so we should be able to get enough to win some of these games.

I hope you are right.

This constantly losing in baseball, football and basketball is causing me severe emotional problems. I can't eat, can't sleep, can't properly relate to my kids, my wife, my mistresses, my drug dealer - its tough.

[ Edited by RogerCraig on Feb 13, 2010 at 00:35:42 ]
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

How many games did he lose by 1 or 2 runs? Little support at times for Timbo. A break down of the games in which he has pitched would be interesting.

I hope you are right.

This constantly losing in baseball, football and basketball is causing me severe emotional problems. I can't eat, can't sleep, can't properly relate to my kids, my wife, my mistresses, my drug dealer - its tough.

Wait a second you have a drug dealer? Never had you figured for someone who does drugs RC...
Quote:
Wait a second you have a drug dealer? Never had you figured for someone who does drugs RC...

Just being silly.

Don't drink, smoke or take drugs like most on the forum.

I do get fed up with the Bay Area teams doing so poorly.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Quote:

Just being silly.

Don't drink, smoke or take drugs like most on the forum.

I do get fed up with the Bay Area teams doing so poorly.

It's been really 8 years since the bay area has been relevant in sports
OLD SCHOOL

Jim Ray Hart

Bob Gibson welcomed Jim Ray to the big leagues in 1963 by breaking his shoulder blade with a fastball in the back. A few days after Hart's return, he was beaned by Curt Simmons and missed the rest of the season.

But in 1964, his first full year, the stocky strongman proved he wasn't gun-shy with a San Francisco rookie record 31 homers. Until a 1969 shoulder injury made him a part timer, he averaged 28 homers a season. On September 8, 1970 he hit for the cycle and tied a major-league record with six RBI in one inning.

Although the former North Carolina cotton picker was so quiet it was said a soft chuckle was a whole conversation for him, he was vocal about his hatred of playing third base: it was "just too damn close to the hitters." (JCA)
Share 49ersWebzone