LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 126 users in the forums

NBA All-Decade Teams (90's & 00's)

• crzy
  • Hall of Fame
I'm going to consider AI a point guard just because he deserves to be on the All-Decade 1st team.
And I'm going to consider Chris Webber a center (he played some center technically)

2000's

1st Team:

PG: Allen Iverson
SG: Kobe Bryant
SF: LeBron James
PF: Tim Duncan
C: Shaquille O'Neal

2nd Team:

PG: Jason Kidd
SG: Vince Carter
SF: Paul Pierce
PF: Kevin Garnett
C: Chris Webber

3rd Team:

PG: Steve Nash
SG: Dwayne Wade
SF: Tracy McGrady
PF: Dirk Nowitzki
C: Yao Ming

4th Team:

PG: Chauncey Billups
SG: Ray Allen
SF: Shawn Marion
PF: Amare Stoudemire
C: Ben Wallace

1990's

1st Team

PG: Gary Payton
SG: Michael Jordan
SF: Scottie Pippen
PF: Karl Malone
C: Hakeem Olajuwon

2nd Team

PG: John Stockton
SG: Clyde Drexler
SF: Chris Mullin
PF: Charles Barkley

3rd Team

PG: Tim Hardaway
SG: Mitch Richmond
SF: Grant Hill
PF: Shawn Kemp
C: David Robinson

4th Team

PG: Kevin Johnson
SG: Reggie Miller
SF: Latrell Sprewell
PF: Dennis Rodman
C: Alonzo Mourning
Crzy's list is the best one by far.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Chris webber before the knee injury was better than dirk.

Meh. Two players whose pelotas shrunk when it really mattered. But Dirk's been better in that decade than Webber was.

You can argue Dirk over Webber for this decade, but I've never understood the knock on Webber not being big game. You can say that about others on those Kings teams -- Peja, Christie...but not Webb. Sorry. Always wanted the final shot and hit a number of buzzer beaters.

Webber in the playoffs with Sac in this decade:
2000 - 24.4 ppg, 9.6 rpg, 5.4 apg
2001 - 23.3 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 3.1 apg
2002 - 23.7 ppg, 10.8 rpg, 4.7 apg
2003 - 23.7 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 3.6 apg
2004 - 18.4 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 3.7 apg
Originally posted by SacRock14:

Meh. Two players whose pelotas shrunk when it really mattered. But Dirk's been better in that decade than Webber was.

You can argue Dirk over Webber for this decade, but I've never understood the knock on Webber not being big game. You can say that about others on those Kings teams -- Peja, Christie...but not Webb. Sorry. Always wanted the final shot and hit a number of buzzer beaters.

Dirk's stats are better.
2001 - 23.4 ppg 8.1 rpg
2002 - 28.4 ppg 13.1 rpg
2003 - 25.3 ppg 11.5 rpg
2004 - 26.6 ppg 11.8 rpg
2005 - 23.7 ppg 10.1 rpg
2006 - 27.0 ppg 11.7 rpg
and so on...
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by SacRock14:

Dirk's stats are better.
2001 - 23.4 ppg 8.1 rpg
2002 - 28.4 ppg 13.1 rpg
2003 - 25.3 ppg 11.5 rpg
2004 - 26.6 ppg 11.8 rpg
2005 - 23.7 ppg 10.1 rpg
2006 - 27.0 ppg 11.7 rpg
and so on...

Yes. I said Dirk over Webber for the decade is OK. I was just arguing the "Webber's pelotas shrunk" comment.

2000's

1st Team:

PG: Jason Kidd
SG: Kobe Bryant
SF: LeBron James
PF: Tim Duncan

2nd Team:

PG: Chauncey Billups (somewhere, crzy's ears are bleeding)
SG: Ray Allen
SF: Paul Pierce
PF: Kevin Garnett
C: Yao Ming

3rd Team:

PG: Steve Nash
SG: Allen Iverson
SF: Ron Artest
PF: Dirk Nowitzki
C: Amare Stoudemire

1990's

1st Team

PG: Gary Payton
SG: Michael Jordan
SF: Scottie Pippen
PF: Karl Malone

2nd Team

PG: John Stockton
SG: Clyde Drexler
SF: Chris Mullin
PF: Charles Barkley
C: Hakeem Olajuwon

3rd Team

PG: Tim Hardaway
SG: Mitch Richmond
SF: Glen Rice
PF: Dennis Rodman
C: David Robinson

hmm, you have a lot of ex lakers on this list?

Ray Allen...gotta give credit where credit's due. He was an All-Star NINE times in the 00's, which is a pretty impressive feat. One of the best shooters ever, could drive do the rack as well, solid passer, and was a solid defender. An underrated player, despite any epic arguments I've had here.

Allen Iverson...I understand that I'm in the minority on him. My metric for players is how much they contribute to winning games. Obviously that's a very subjective measure. In my view, Iverson was an extremely ball-dominant player whose presence didn't allow for others to thrive, and despite being a great steals guy, he wasn't a good defender overall. Ray Allen was able to produce in the context of offenses, and Iverson was able to produce when HE WAS the offense. And that's why Allen gets the nod.

Dominique Wilkins...I completely forgot that he was still kicking ass and taking names at the beginning of the 90's. Will edit & bump Mullin to 3rd team.

Grant Hill...Only played 5 seasons in the 90's, or else he would definitely be #2 at the SF spot.

Tracy McGrady
...I think he's overrated in a similar way to Iverson. I'll take Pierce, you can have McGrady.

Shawn Kemp...very close between him and Rodman, but Rodman's arguably the greatest rebounder in NBA history and was a top notch defender. Just my preference. If I had 4th team, Kemp would be on it.

Chris Webber
...Dirk's postseason numbers are great too. But there's a big difference between the 5 minutes left in the 2nd quarter and 5 minutes left in the 4th. Neither Webber or Dirk thrived in the latter situation.
And one more thing. I love Olajuwon. f**kin' clinic on how to play the Center position. But as much as it kills me to say it, 90's Olajuwon was not better than 90's Shaq. Shaq was a goddamn freak. Olajuwon's 93-96 run stands up to the best that Shaq has to offer, but in terms of the entire body of work, it's definitely Shaq. I freaking love Olajuwon and can't stand Shaq, but 92-99 O'Neal dominated in a way that Olajuwon didn't.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
And one more thing. I love Olajuwon. f**kin' clinic on how to play the Center position. But as much as it kills me to say it, 90's Olajuwon was not better than 90's Shaq. Shaq was a goddamn freak. Olajuwon's 93-96 run stands up to the best that Shaq has to offer, but in terms of the entire body of work, it's definitely Shaq. I freaking love Olajuwon and can't stand Shaq, but 92-99 O'Neal dominated in a way that Olajuwon didn't.

The titles are why I have Hakeem over Shaq. Shaq didn't win anything meaningful until 2000.

I will say one thing though.

Prime Shaquille O'Neal forever will be the most dominant force in basketball history, IMO. More dominant than Jordan, Wilt, Kareem, etc. At his best, he truly was unguardable in every sense of the word.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Dirk is soft. And yes, my impression of Dirk is obviously a bit biased, since I watched him cower against the likes of Matt Barnes and Stephen Jackson.

Dirk is one of the most unique talents basketball has ever seen, but if you're telling me to start a basketball team, I'll take Webber over Dirk 100 times out of 100.

[ Edited by crzy on Jul 25, 2009 at 23:19:36 ]

• Dino
  • Veteran
Ray Allen
  • 9 Time All-Star
  • 19,661 career points (20.9 avg)
  • 1,581 career playoff pts (20.5 avg)
  • 4.4 reb, 3.8 ast, 1.2 steals career avg
  • .448% fg, .398% 3pt career

Vince Carter
  • 8 Time All-Star
  • 18,245 career points (23.5 avg)
  • 1,086 career playoff pts (25.9 avg)
  • 5.5 reb, 4.3 ast, 1.2 stl career avg
  • .447 fg %, .376% 3pt career

just sayin...
  • sarpp
  • Info N/A
The Dream should be on the 1st team i/o /Shaq...
Originally posted by crzy:
Dirk is soft. And yes, my impression of Dirk is obviously a bit biased, since I watched him cower against the likes of Matt Barnes and Stephen Jackson.

Dirk is one of the most unique talents basketball has ever seen, but if you're telling me to start a basketball team, I'll take Webber over Dirk 100 times out of 100.

Over the course of their entire careers, I take Webber too. In the 2000's? Definitely Nowitzki.
Originally posted by dobophile:
^ Dominant, but assisted by questionable officiating. Dude has always been a traveling, offensive fouling machine . . . regardless of whether the refs blew their whistles.

I'm talking about Shaq, not Dirk.

Shaq also got hacked at a ton without whistles in his favor. Easily the most difficult player to officiate that I've ever seen. Shaq did the same things that everyone else did, but it looked a lot worse when he did it because guys would go flying. Defenders would also grab and push on him in ways that would be obvious fouls against other players, but it wouldn't be called because it wouldn't move Shaq off of his position. He definitely dished out his punishment, but he took a ton of it too.

I don't get the traveling part.
Originally posted by dobophile:
^ Dominant, but assisted by questionable officiating. Dude has always been a traveling, offensive fouling machine . . . regardless of whether the refs blew their whistles.

I'm talking about Shaq, not Dirk.

Shaq also got hacked at a ton without whistles in his favor. Easily the most difficult player to officiate that I've ever seen. Shaq did the same things that everyone else did, but it looked a lot worse when he did it because guys would go flying. Defenders would also grab and push on him in ways that would be obvious fouls against other players, but it wouldn't be called because it wouldn't move Shaq off of his position. He definitely dished out his punishment, but he took a ton of it too.

I don't get the traveling part.

Well, he sure as hell wasn't dribbling the ball!
Share 49ersWebzone