LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 457 users in the forums

**Official 2009 NBA Draft Thread** (ON RIGHT NOW)

• crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
^Mullens would be good value that low.

Mullens is the DeAndre Jordan of this draft.

Massive hype + disappointing freshman year.

But Mullesn won't fall to the second round. DeAndre Jordan fell to the second round because of issues with his work ethic and lack of mental focus.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Man if Petrie doesn't get a top 2 pick, watch out. It will be an exciting draft to say the least. I have a hunch he picks someone out of leftfield if he doesn't have a shot at Rubio or Griffin. Maybe he likes Jennings but in general Petrie picks the best player he feels is available, regardless of what everyone else thinks.

If the Kings ended up with the 3rd pick, and some GM desperately want Jordan Hill, then Peitrie should try to trade down and get future picks.

Next year's draft is 10X stronger than this one.
Patrick Patterson withdrew from the draft today.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Patrick Patterson withdrew from the draft today.

Great choice. He can improve his draft stock to the lottery IMO.

Jodie Meeks will probably return too. Kentucky is going to be a preseason top 5 team. With Patterson, Meeks, DeMarcus Cousins and Calipari.

I really hope John Wall chooses Kentucky too.

Too bad Xavier Henry and his brother chose Kansas over Kentucky.

Kansas is a lock for preseason #1.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
John Wall needs to make a damn decision already.
Isn't that the kid that got arrested for robbing a house?
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by socalfan21:

Actually he got arrested for breaking into a vacant house. He didn't take or steal anything. No one really knows what he was doing there. And none of the schools he's trying to go to seem to really care about this minor incident.
10 days til the lottery

Feelin' lucky about GSW, Crzy?
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SacRock14:
10 days til the lottery

Not really.

I'm sure the Warriors won't get a top 3 pick.

I bet David Stern gives the Knicks Blake Griffin.
Originally posted by crzy:
Originally posted by socalfan21:

Actually he got arrested for breaking into a vacant house. He didn't take or steal anything. No one really knows what he was doing there. And none of the schools he's trying to go to seem to really care about this minor incident.

breaking into a vacant house...

• 4ML
  • Veteran
10 days til the lottery

Not really.

Crzy...which 3 players would you like the Warriors to draft...and why? Not who you think we will draft, but who would you like...
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
10 days til the lottery

Not really.

Crzy...which 3 players would you like the Warriors to draft...and why? Not who you think we will draft, but who would you like...

I would like the Warriors to draft ..... in this order .....

1) Blake Griffin
2) Ricky Rubio
3) Tyreke Evans
4) Hasheem Thabeet
5) Brandon Jennings
6) Jonny Flynn
7) Jrue Holiday
8) Demar DeRozan
9) Jeff Teague
10) Jordan Hill
11) James Harden
12) Earl Clark
13) Terrence Williams
14) Gani Lawal

Basically, I want the BPA. Except with Flynn and Brandon Jennings. Flynn is a better player (at least right now) than Brandon Jennings, but I think Jennings is a better fit for the Warriors.
[ Edited by crzy on May 9, 2009 at 2:50 PM ]
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Quote:
ESPN.com asked NBA decision-makers from 10 teams to rate the top 10 prospects in this year's NBA draft. Here is a composite top 10 based on their responses.

Top 10 Players
1. Blake Griffin (My Ranking: 1)
2. Ricky Rubio (My Ranking: 2)
3. Hasheem Thabeet (My Ranking: 4)
4. James Harden (My Ranking: 11)
5. Jordan Hill (My Ranking: 10)
6. DeMar DeRozan (My Ranking: 8)
7. Tyreke Evans (My Ranking: 3)
8. Stephen Curry (My Ranking: 19)
9. Earl Clark (My Ranking: 12)
10. Jonny Flynn (My Ranking: 5)
[ Edited by crzy on May 9, 2009 at 2:56 PM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
10 days til the lottery

Not really.

I would like the Warriors to draft ..... in this order .....

1) Blake Griffin
2) Ricky Rubio
3) Tyreke Evans
4) Hasheem Thabeet
5) Brandon Jennings
6) Jonny Flynn
7) Jrue Holiday
8) Demar DeRozan
9) Jeff Teague
10) Jordan Hill
11) James Harden
12) Earl Clark
13) Terrence Williams
14) Gani Lawal

Basically, I want the BPA. Except with Flynn and Brandon Jennings. Flynn is a better player (at least right now) than Brandon Jennings, but I think Jennings is a better fit for the Warriors.

Got it. Do you think Warriors will draft a PG though? I remember listening to Nelson about how he wants Ellis to be the true PG and thinks he can be. I like Brandon Jennings too, but would love to get DeRozan. What do you like and not like about DeRozan's game?
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Monta Ellis is a very good player, but he's a very average distributor. Maybe he can be an Allen Iverson, Gilbert Arenas type of point guard, who can get 6-7 assists per game while scoring 30. But that's just not going to work long-term. Our biggest problem last year was ball movement. Well, ball movement and defense.

Demar DeRozan is just so similar to Jason Richardson coming out of Michigan State.

-Both are terrific rebounders at the small forward spot
-Both are ridiculously explosive leapers
-Both are mediocre ball handlers
-Both have low basketball IQ

Jason Richardson is such an interesting player, though. He came into the league as a high-flyer with very poor ball-handling skills, much like DeRozan.

But he was still able to find ways to create his own shot. He played some power forward for Tom Izzo at Michigan State on the 2001 championship team. Thus, he became very good at creating his shot by posting up and backing down other small forwards on the baseline. Jason Richardson's turnaround, fade-away jumper is only second to Kobe Bryant in the NBA, IMO.

Not to mention, that he really substantially developed his outside shot. He was a mediocre outside shooter and now he's one of the best three point shooters in the league.

The unfortunate thing about J-Rich is that, despite his physical tools, he just never developed on the defensive side of the ball. He's one of the worst defensive small forwards in the NBA. Which is a real shame.

Anyways, as far as Demar DeRozan is concerned. To be successful offensively like J-Rich, he's going to need to work on those ball handling skills and evolve other facets of his game....so that he can create his own shot. He never posted up in college, according to DraftExpress.com, so he'd better work on improving his face-up game.

To be a successful NBA player, however, Demar DeRozan better utilize his physical talents to become a good defender. His defensive fundamentals are horrible, but as long as he brings intensity and mental focus.....he'll be able to use his physical tools to be decent on the defensive end.

Long story short, DeRozan is a project. At worst, he'll be Gerald Green or Mickael Peitrus. At best, he'll be a more well-rounded Jason Richardson who can play defense.
[ Edited by crzy on May 9, 2009 at 5:06 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone