There are 171 users in the forums

***Official Boxing Thread***

Originally posted by ChazBoner:
was having trouble falling asleep the other night, then I found some boxing on TV. THANKS BOXING!

i love that they have classic boxing on demand. i can watch guys like hearns, hagler, and sugar ray box all night.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
was having trouble falling asleep the other night, then I found some boxing on TV. THANKS BOXING!

i love that they have classic boxing on demand. i can watch guys like hearns, hagler, and sugar ray box all night.

The good ol days of boxing.
Originally posted by ninerdemonsjotoplasm:
Pretty good day of boxing on Saturday. Even with the Mitchell/Banks letdown (both pretty much lost out on any chance of a Klistcho bout with that snorefest), the Bika-Periban fight made up for it (not a boxing match, just two guys punching each other out in the back alley of a bar, very entertaining) and the Broner-Malinaggi bout was exciting throughout.

Been into a few heated discussions about the outcome, I thought Broner should've been unanimous 117-111. Yes, Paulie was "busy" with volume punching, but where was he landing? To me, it looked like he threw 50 punches a round, but only landed like 8, unless boxing now counts hitting the arms as landing a punch, then he was 45/50. Paulie seemed reckless and it definitely screwed him over later in the fight, since he looked exhausted from Round 6 on. Yes, I know Broner wasn't throwing punches at a high level, but why did he need to? Every punch he threw seemed to land, and Every punch showed to affect Paulie.

Sure, Broner didn't KO him, but there were a few rounds that if Broner had started throwing punches w/45 seconds left instead of 40 seconds that Paulie was about to fall over. Definitely thought Broner was classless, but the thing is, did anyone expect anything less? I mean ANYONE? Been a shyt talking series, I loved the trash talking during the fight, and the end just culminated what was shown between each fighter throughout.

I would actually prefer Broner going down to 140lbs to take advantage of his power, seeing that he's only 5'5. Here's my list on who I'd like to see him fight next:

1. Amir Khan: Great matchup for Broner. Big name in Khan, very similar to Malinaggi in style (fast w/no power), and has shown a weaker jaw. Would be an easy sell.
2. Marcos Maidana: Very risky, but could be very exciting. Broner definitely has never faced a guy this powerful, but would like to see if Broner listens to PBF's suggestions on footwork from last night and works the counter game. If he couldn't KO Paulie, there's NO way he'd be able to KO Maidana.
3. Andre Berto: Won't happen with the Top Rank/GB crap, but the styles would make for a pretty sweet matchup.

Can't wait for GGG vs Macklin!!!

Broner has no choice but to fight top tier opponents now that he's the WBS..err..WBA champ.I don't see Broner being dominant at welter hiding behind that shoulder roll at
Canelo , Josesito, Pac, Golvokin, Maidana, Garcia, Mattyese, JMM, Ortiz,Rios....all those fools are in range to shoot at any ''big '' name at welter.147 is a huge jump.

I like Khan vs Broner. Khan looks like he's in some type of daze/slump/downfall. I wouldn't mind seeing him give it one last hurrah.
Syber is right . That Mitchell fight was the worst fight I've ever seen. No wonder U.S. Heavyweights are in low demand; they have no stamina, and waste valuable time and money.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Broner has no choice but to fight top tier opponents now that he's the WBS..err..WBA champ.I don't see Broner being dominant at welter hiding behind that shoulder roll at
Canelo , Josesito, Pac, Golvokin, Maidana, Garcia, Mattyese, JMM, Ortiz,Rios....all those fools are in range to shoot at any ''big '' name at welter.147 is a huge jump.

I like Khan vs Broner. Khan looks like he's in some type of daze/slump/downfall. I wouldn't mind seeing him give it one last hurrah.
Syber is right . That Mitchell fight was the worst fight I've ever seen. No wonder U.S. Heavyweights are in low demand; they have no stamina, and waste valuable time and money.

I would prefer to see Khan vs Broner next also. Broner said he will let the fans vote or some BS. We'll see.
Khan vs. Broner seems possible, but all signs are pointing towards a fight with Maidana.
Khan vs. Broner seems possible, but all signs are pointing towards a fight with Maidana.

I'd rather see Khan vs Broner, and have an Alexander vs Maidana match. Both matches would be bad ass
[ Edited by ninerdemonsjotoplasm on Jun 25, 2013 at 12:50 PM ]
Honestly, people don't like Broner because he's black. There are plenty of obnoxious boxers who people have LOVED, and all of them happen to be races other than black.
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
Honestly, people don't like Broner because he's black. There are plenty of obnoxious boxers who people have LOVED, and all of them happen to be races other than black.

wow, that's an ignorant statement.

i don't like him because of his unoriginal persona he's trying to throw out there. "dad, brush my hair!" really?

i don't like him because of his unoriginal persona he's trying to throw out there. "dad, brush my hair!" really?

No, it's because he's black. He's clearly doing all that just to gain an audience. And it's working, he's a tremendous draw. I've seen him do interviews where he's actually pretty normal. Tyson Fury acts like a fool all day long and you hear nothing. Mayorga was the epitome of a POS and again, nothing. Brandon Rios might be the worst and he's loveable. Malinaggi is bad, too. From the goofy outfits and hairstyles to dancing in the ring and talking MORE trash than Broner did, yet, he's respected because he's somewhat eloquent.

For whatever reason sports, particularly boxing, brings out the racism in people. I remember watching the De La Hoya/Mayweather fight years ago. I don't think I ever heard so many N-bombs dropped in one place in my life.

It is what it is, bro.

No, it's because he's black. He's clearly doing all that just to gain an audience. And it's working, he's a tremendous draw. I've seen him do interviews where he's actually pretty normal. Tyson Fury acts like a fool all day long and you hear nothing. Mayorga was the epitome of a POS and again, nothing. Brandon Rios might be the worst and he's loveable. Malinaggi is bad, too. From the goofy outfits and hairstyles to dancing in the ring and talking MORE trash than Broner did, yet, he's respected because he's somewhat eloquent.

For whatever reason sports, particularly boxing, brings out the racism in people. I remember watching the De La Hoya/Mayweather fight years ago. I don't think I ever heard so many N-bombs dropped in one place in my life.

It is what it is, bro.

no, it isn't cuz he's black. if u wanted me to name drop, the first name i was gonna say was Mayorga for sure. Tyson Fury is a fckin bum, so of course i wasn't gonna say his name. Fernando Vargas was bad, Margarito, Amir Khan talks a lot of s**t too.

the reason i bring up Broner is because we can all tell how hard he tries to be the bad guy. being the bad guy means more money, and that's what he's trying to do. you gotta respect it cuz he wants his money, but the s**t he does is overboard.

It is what it is, bro.

Lol... yeah, Broner is such a likable, humble guy. Its so easy to like him and he is a victim because everyone dislikes him only because he is black

I don't like Paulie either. Or Brandon Rios. You made a lot of dumb ass assumptions. Boxing does bring out a lot of nationalism. That's how its alwasy been. I'll give you that. But for you to try and say that out of all people, Adrian Broner is disliked solely cuz he is black is absolute b******t. He is a a cocky a*****e. That is the image he WANTS to portray for marketing. He uses that to be the villan or whatever. Floyd used to do it, but he didn't bring hoodrats into the mix from what I remember. And Floyd did it more after he actually proved himself. Floyd is looking to life after boxing now, so he is much more humble and likable. Maybe Broner will change as well. As of now, he is an arrogant douche who is a talented boxer.
I mean, I just don't see him as THAT bad as far as his personality goes. A lot of the stuff he does has me laughing... it's just goofy, immature stuff. The fact that he's arrogant as hell goes with the territory. Obviously, you don't have to throw it in peoples faces the way he does, but it's just what he does. It just doesn't bother me. I don't see how it warrants some of the names and total disregard for his skill-set and achievements up to this point.

On a related note, Andre Ward is arguably the best boxer in the world right now but he's not a draw. And if anyone's noticed, he's been talking A LOT of crap lately, clearly trying to get some attention. And that is a complete 180 from his personality. To make real money you have to be an exciting fight AND/OR a BIG talker, it seems. Either that, or a top heavyweight.
I mean, I just don't see him as THAT bad as far as his personality goes. A lot of the stuff he does has me laughing... it's just goofy, immature stuff. The fact that he's arrogant as hell goes with the territory. Obviously, you don't have to throw it in peoples faces the way he does, but it's just what he does. It just doesn't bother me. I don't see how it warrants some of the names and total disregard for his skill-set and achievements up to this point.

On a related note, Andre Ward is arguably the best boxer in the world right now but he's not a draw. And if anyone's noticed, he's been talking A LOT of crap lately, clearly trying to get some attention. And that is a complete 180 from his personality. To make real money you have to be an exciting fight AND/OR a BIG talker, it seems. Either that, or a top heavyweight.

nobody wants to get in the ring with Ward.

it's unfortunate cuz he's the type that could dominate the scene.

I got you... He is a really talented boxer, and I like the trash talking. But bringing in the hoodrat was tasteless and too much IMO.

Ward is class act and an underappreciated boxer. I think because of his weight class he has no one to fight. And you're right in that if you aren't "mainstream exciting" you may have to act like a bigger a hole to be a draw. Ward doesn't go in there to trade hay makers so a lot of mainstream fans don't care to pay to see him.
nobody wants to get in the ring with Ward.

it's unfortunate cuz he's the type that could dominate the scene.

Who is there for him to fight? Froch?
Share 49ersWebzone