There are 536 users in the forums
49ers 2026 Salary Cap=$44,753,782 of 9/18/26 on a $340.1M adjusted salary cap
Feb 18, 2021 at 4:07 PM
- Bellaleo
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,800
AB the legend laying it down yet again. Thank you man, your golden.
Feb 18, 2021 at 4:08 PM
- kirkscrafford
- Veteran
- Posts: 401
i thought you could only lock into 3 comp picks a year? That has to be Sherman, Tartt and maybe Bourne. If they resign Hyder, i think Blair might be on this list. Or even DJ Jones.
Feb 18, 2021 at 4:08 PM
- AB81Rules
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 34,106
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by Bellaleo:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Lol, you're right, one is negative AF, the other appears to be a Steelers fan(closet fan) with his whole, Trent to Steelers, etc....
AB I'd love to hear your take on how many FA's we will actually loose. I don't think it's anywhere near as dire a situation as many around here claim. Tell me I'm wrong
Well let's take a look at the 32 pending free agents left unsigned.
UFA:
QB C.J. Beathard
RB Tevin Coleman
RB Jerick McKinnon
FB Kyle Juszyzck
WR Kendrick Bourne
WR Trent Taylor
TE Jordan Reed
C Ben Garland
C Hroniss Grasu
C Tony Bergstrom
RG Tom Compton
LT Trent Williams
DE Ezekiel Ansah
DE Dion Jordan
DE Kerry Hyder Jr.
DE Jordan Willis
DE Ronald Blair III
DT Solomon Thomas
NT D.J. Jones
LB Joe Walker
CB Richard Sherman
CB Jason Verrett
CB K'Waun Williams
CB Dontae Johnson
CB Ahkello Witherspoon
CB Jamar Taylor
SS Jaquiski Tartt
ERFA & RFA:
QB Nick Mullens
TE Ross Dwelley
C/RG Daniel Brunskill
CB Emmanuel Moseley
SS Marcell Harris
Now of the UFAs, the following are guys that wouldn't be big losses, or guys who could be brought back on cheap deals.
QB Beathard
TE Reed
C Grasu
C Bergstrom
RG Compton
DE Ansah
DE Jordan
DE Willis
LB Walker
CB Johnson
CB Witherspoon
CB Taylor
Bergstrom, Compton, Jordan & Ansah are guys I don't want back. I'd be cool with Beathard, Reed, Grasu, Willis, Walker, Johnson, Witherspoon, & Taylor back on league minimum deals to compete for roster spots, Taylor would likely start on PUP.
Now these UFAs are the key guys we need to sign.
FB Juszyzck
LT Williams
DE Hyder
CB Verrett
CB Williams
These are the 5 players they HAVE to sign, Trent is #1, Juice is #2, I'm confident they'll be back. I think Hyder will return, his best 2 seasons were under DL Coach Kris Kocurek, so I think he would like to stick with him, same with Trent & new OL Coach Foerester, & Juice & RB Coach Bobby Turner. Verrett I'm 50/50 on, I think he's more likely of the 2 CBs to be back, but could see him taking a huge deal, which I hope he doesn't get, he should be max $6M a yr, not this $10.5M+ a yr that some posters said, he's truly injury prone, he finally had a healthy year in 2020. As for K'Waun, I think we can, but will we? I don't know, his play deserves top Slot CB money, which is in the $8M a yr range. I could also see him back to NJ his hometown going with Saleh to the Jets.
Now these UFAs are guys I'd like back, or wouldn't mind back, but only on minimum or low money deals.
C Garland
DE Blair
DT Thomas
NT Jones
I wouldn't sign these guys for more than minimum or low end deals, $2M 1yr for Garland & Blair, $1,127,500 for Jones on the Fourth-Year Qualifying Contract where he'd get a $2.24M base, $137,500, but only $990K of the base counts, and Thomas on a 1yr deal for the minimum.
Next are the UFAs I believe will not return in 2021, likely helping get us up to 4 additional comp picks in the 2022 draft.
RB Coleman
RB McKinnon (I'm not 100% sure about this, cause I think there might be a rule where contracts that void no longer count against or for your comp picks)
WR Taylor
WR Bourne
CB Sherman
SS Tartt
Now, I can see Solomon Thomas leaving, he said he's open to staying, but if the money is right, so that tells me he thinks there will be a market for him, same for Bourne, he's pretty much said he's headed to FA to test the market. Sherman we already know said he won't be back, McKinnon also said a return the 49ers isn't happening, which I'm cool with. I have a bad feeling that Kyle may re-sign Trent Taylor, while I think Tartt is a toss up, I think he could end up with Robert Saleh and the NY Jets, same with Bourne, and maybe Sherman.
The ERFA & RFAs will all be back, they'll tender or re-sign all 5 IMO.
Great work AB.![]()
![]()
![]()
Saves me a ton of time and several billion brain cells from being burned out.
I pretty much agree with your take on the Free agents, (still reading and processing it though, I still might quibble with one or two of your points later) Mucho Danke! mi amigo!
![]()
![]()
AB81
Thanks buddy, no problem on quibble on this, some guys some people want back and some people want them gone, it is what it is. Whatever Kyle & John does, I'll be alright with it, I trust them. But I really pray Trent & Juice are re-signed, if they're the only UFAs re-signed, I'll be happy. It would suck to lose K'Waun and/or Verrett, and Hyder, but it would be next man up mentality, would probably signal that we'd use high picks on an EDGE & CB.
Feb 18, 2021 at 4:09 PM
- AB81Rules
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 34,106
Originally posted by kirkscrafford:
i thought you could only lock into 3 comp picks a year? That has to be Sherman, Tartt and maybe Bourne. If they resign Hyder, i think Blair might be on this list. Or even DJ Jones.
4 maximum per team, 32 maximum overall. Minority Comp Picks don't count against them.
Feb 18, 2021 at 4:38 PM
- leakyfausett
- Veteran
- Posts: 12,640
I think all the remaining ERFA and RFA's are most likely coming back. After that my list of UFA's to bring back in order.
Trent Williams
Juice
Verrett
K. Williams
Hyder
DJ Jones
Bourne
I would love to keep the first five. The last two on the right terms and everyone else well bye.
Trent Williams
Juice
Verrett
K. Williams
Hyder
DJ Jones
Bourne
I would love to keep the first five. The last two on the right terms and everyone else well bye.
Feb 19, 2021 at 6:24 PM
- NYniner85
- Veteran
- Posts: 119,141
This is important for the cap
Scoop: NFL asking for 100% increase on TV rights from all of its network partners; Disney is saying no way. https://t.co/UN7x7oR21G
— Alex Sherman (@sherman4949) February 19, 2021
Feb 19, 2021 at 7:14 PM
- AB81Rules
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 34,106
Originally posted by NYniner85:
This is important for the cap
Scoop: NFL asking for 100% increase on TV rights from all of its network partners; Disney is saying no way. https://t.co/UN7x7oR21G
— Alex Sherman (@sherman4949) February 19, 2021
JESUS F CHRIST, 100% increase, WTF will the NFL want for the rights to NFL Sunday Ticket? DIRECTV/ATT are paying like $1.9B for the rights, but AT&T doesn't want to renew it for that price, they're seeing a loss in profit, there are rumors of AT&T selling DIRECTV. I really don't want streaming only option, not everyone in the US has access to high speed internet, I have Spectrum, I pay for the 100mbps, and I'm getting between 20mbps to 60mbps, the only other option is DSL thru VERIZON, I want FIOS but that's not happening.
As for the NFL Cap, yes this is huge for that, I hope they work something out, and the cap comes in as close to what it was in 2020, $198.2M.
Feb 19, 2021 at 7:25 PM
- AB81Rules
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 34,106
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
I think all the remaining ERFA and RFA's are most likely coming back. After that my list of UFA's to bring back in order.
Trent Williams
Juice
Verrett
K. Williams
Hyder
DJ Jones
Bourne
I would love to keep the first five. The last two on the right terms and everyone else well bye.
Also, I know the holdup with no deals getting done for any team except the 2 trades agreed upon, they can't spend money if they don't know what the cap will be. We usually have a good idea by now, usually it gets set in late Feb-early March, teams usually know the cap before the league announces it, so late Feb for 2018 & 2019 teams likely knew what the cap would be set at.
The 2018 cap was set on March 5th, NFL salary cap for 2018 season set at $177.2 million
The 2019 cap was set on March 1st, NFL salary cap for 2019 season set at $188.2M
The 2020 cap was was set on March 12th, likely due to the new CBA negotiations NFL salary cap will increase to $198.2M in 2020
Feb 19, 2021 at 8:23 PM
- Giedi
- Veteran
- Posts: 34,503
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Well, Disney gets a lot more than other networks.....
Disney's Negotiation
Disney's Monday Night Football deal is for more than just the games. Disney also gets highlight rights for ESPN, branding rights for shows, and — importantly — streaming rights.
The league has asked Disney to pay the same type of increase as its other partners because Disney is asking for more from the NFL this time around — including double-header Monday Night games, where one game airs on ABC, the Disney-owned broadcast network, the people said. Disney also wants ABC to become part of the Super Bowl rotation with NBC, CBS and Fox. ABC was the home of Monday Night Football until 2005.
Disney also wants flexibility in terms of streaming rights as the company considers selling ESPN as a direct-to-consumer product. The NFL plans to include streaming rights as part of each network package, the people said.
Further, the NFL wants to add an 18th week of regular-season play as soon as next season. That's an extra game for Disney — and every other broadcast partner.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/19/nfl-asking-for-100percent-increase-on-tv-rights-disney-pushing-back-.html
I'd also say that the NFL has the leverage here. Don't think for one second Amazon wouldn't want more of the highest rated programs on TV during any season. Talk about giving them an edge over Disney+, Netflix and HBOMax.
Wow, the article says there is a decline in ratings from the 18 to 49 crowd.
I think its people cable cutting. Usually its the younger crowd. I would think the decline in ratings would impact the NFL's asking price forcing it lower, but the article says all the major broadcasting companies are willing to pay more.
If true, the cap is going up *significantly* in 2022.
Feb 19, 2021 at 10:50 PM
- AB81Rules
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 34,106
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Well, Disney gets a lot more than other networks.....
Disney's Negotiation
Disney's Monday Night Football deal is for more than just the games. Disney also gets highlight rights for ESPN, branding rights for shows, and — importantly — streaming rights.
The league has asked Disney to pay the same type of increase as its other partners because Disney is asking for more from the NFL this time around — including double-header Monday Night games, where one game airs on ABC, the Disney-owned broadcast network, the people said. Disney also wants ABC to become part of the Super Bowl rotation with NBC, CBS and Fox. ABC was the home of Monday Night Football until 2005.
Disney also wants flexibility in terms of streaming rights as the company considers selling ESPN as a direct-to-consumer product. The NFL plans to include streaming rights as part of each network package, the people said.
Further, the NFL wants to add an 18th week of regular-season play as soon as next season. That's an extra game for Disney — and every other broadcast partner.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/19/nfl-asking-for-100percent-increase-on-tv-rights-disney-pushing-back-.html
I'd also say that the NFL has the leverage here. Don't think for one second Amazon wouldn't want more of the highest rated programs on TV during any season. Talk about giving them an edge over Disney+, Netflix and HBOMax.
Wow, the article says there is a decline in ratings from the 18 to 49 crowd.I think its people cable cutting. Usually its the younger crowd.
I would think the decline in ratings would impact the NFL's asking price forcing it lower, but the article says all the major broadcasting companies are willing to pay more.![]()
![]()
![]()
If true, the cap is going up *significantly* in 2022.
That sucks about the decline from 18-49 crowd, it's either one of 2 things, 1. the Pro-Trumpers in that age range refused to watch the NFL due to the national anthem, flag & kneeling, and/or 2. COVID-19 either made people in that age range sick or worse, dead, so much for Trump saying it doesn't effect young people, only the elderly with heart conditions. SMDH.
Feb 19, 2021 at 11:21 PM
- frozen49er
- Veteran
- Posts: 4,867
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
That sucks about the decline from 18-49 crowd, it's either one of 2 things, 1. the Pro-Trumpers in that age range refused to watch the NFL due to the national anthem, flag & kneeling, and/or 2. COVID-19 either made people in that age range sick or worse, dead, so much for Trump saying it doesn't effect young people, only the elderly with heart conditions. SMDH.
Oh goody. Politics invades yet another thread.
Feb 20, 2021 at 6:15 AM
- miked1978
- Veteran
- Posts: 12,625
surely we will all agree and if we don't I'm sure someone will post something so thoughtful that it will make another poster change their political party.
Feb 20, 2021 at 7:08 AM
- GEEK
- Veteran
- Posts: 19,430
Originally posted by frozen49er:Originally posted by AB81Rules:That sucks about the decline from 18-49 crowd, it's either one of 2 things, 1. the Pro-Trumpers in that age range refused to watch the NFL due to the national anthem, flag & kneeling, and/or 2. COVID-19 either made people in that age range sick or worse, dead, so much for Trump saying it doesn't effect young people, only the elderly with heart conditions. SMDH.
Oh goody. Politics invades yet another thread.
It's not politics. It's CTE concerns paired with the rise of e-sports.
The new generation of parents are less likely to support their kids playing football due to the health risks associated to it.
And those in the 18-24 crowd don't subscribe to cable as their interests are more geared towards online streaming and/or gaming.
NFL is in a precarious situation - hence why they televised a game on Nick. Their pipeline of viewers is eroding quickly.
Feb 20, 2021 at 7:51 AM
- Midbay
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,489
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by frozen49er:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
That sucks about the decline from 18-49 crowd, it's either one of 2 things, 1. the Pro-Trumpers in that age range refused to watch the NFL due to the national anthem, flag & kneeling, and/or 2. COVID-19 either made people in that age range sick or worse, dead, so much for Trump saying it doesn't effect young people, only the elderly with heart conditions. SMDH.
Oh goody. Politics invades yet another thread.
It's not politics. It's CTE concerns paired with the rise of e-sports.
The new generation of parents are less likely to support their kids playing football due to the health risks associated to it.
And those in the 18-24 crowd don't subscribe to cable as their interests are more geared towards online streaming and/or gaming.
NFL is in a precarious situation - hence why they televised a game on Nick. Their pipeline of viewers is eroding quickly.
You nailed it GEEK.
If I may add, the streaming crowd has really moved up in age. With Amazon, Netflix and Apple offering homegrown series that are well-funded and easy to consume, I have certainly seen significant percentages in even the 45-50 crowd who have abandoned cable for streaming in the last few years. Critical mass has been reached. The NFL is still a reasonably good product I think, but delivery options are terrible.
Feb 20, 2021 at 8:08 AM
- mojave45
- Veteran
- Posts: 8,046
The NFL needs better streaming options, certainly for out of market fans. NFL Sunday ticket prices are absurd when you only care about one team .
) Mucho Danke! mi amigo!