There are 232 users in the forums

Who will be the Niners new DC?-Rooney Rule Now Applicable

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who will be the Niners new DC?-Rooney Rule Now Applicable

Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Wilks coached under Rivera in Carolina, so it makes since that there would be some philosophical cross over. One thing though, if Wilks was seen as a bad fit would Rivera be any better?

You can have two people playcalling out of the same system and do it very differently. I don't know if Rivera is someone they are interested in but he's far more proven as a playcaller than Wilks was.
Originally posted by Oscar8325:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
I can see Bill B who clearly has a lot of respect for Kyle volunteering his services for a year until he gets a coaching gig that will give in to his demands.

Bill will never get a HC job again, he's old and according to some reports was unwilling to adapt to the "new" NFL. Plus he did nothing post Brady. So if he's willing to eat that humble pie to be DC that would be great.

IMO this is somewhat inaccurate. He is out of touch from an offensive perspective, but his defense was still very good imo, sneaky good. The offense was horrific.
Who runs a defense like Baltimore then that we could grab?
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by captveg:
There is possibly a league wide shift coming with the way BAL (and now SEA) and KC are playing. Not sure if 49ers should hop on that movement or stay with a zone dominant scheme. This will be a very interesting hire and will tell us a lot about what Kyle thinks of the defensive landscape of the NFL.

More DB focused in man than DL/zone focused, yes? Seems to be the way Ravens and Chiefs countered Shanny's offense.

There's a few things going on league wide, offensively, that gets countered by the BAL/SEA/KC schemes. All the presnap motion that many offenses now use is to confuse the pattern matching coverages that has made its way across the league - Fangio split safety schemes. Playing more man counters this.

The heavily disguised blitz schemes that those defenses use put so much pressure on the OL to have their s**t together. Like you said, it will be a shift from DL/zone heavy to CBs that can man up while scheming up exotic blitz packages. Less emphasis on DLman that can win 1v1, more on the DC to understand and break pass protection schemes.
Im fine with that especially the way they don't call holding in the playoffs. Let's draft some man coverage DB's
Originally posted by Izyniner:
Originally posted by pd24:
What does Ron Rivera run?

My guess would be a 12.4.

😆
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IGSXIII:
Originally posted by Izyniner:
Originally posted by pd24:
What does Ron Rivera run?

My guess would be a 12.4.

😆

Lol
Originally posted by 49erfaninAZ:

Better question is who can do the most with the pieces that the 49ers currently have on defense?
The webzone would probably be mixed in this but if Kyle hires someone already on staff it most likely would be DB coach Daniel Bullocks. He has been here since 17, so he'd be familiar with how we did things pre Wilks. He does have a DB background (I agree with a lot of you that a LB background is ideal), but if he picked up how to operate the front seven from Saleh and DeMeco maybe it could work. He does fit the DeMeco profile of young energetic coach.
  • bors
  • Veteran
Pete the cheat. Come on down
  • titan
  • Veteran
Rex Ryan

Originally posted by captveg:
There is possibly a league wide shift coming with the way BAL (and now SEA) and KC are playing. Not sure if 49ers should hop on that movement or stay with a zone dominant scheme. This will be a very interesting hire and will tell us a lot about what Kyle thinks of the defensive landscape of the NFL.

More DB focused in man than DL/zone focused, yes? Seems to be the way Ravens and Chiefs countered Shanny's offense.

There's a few things going on league wide, offensively, that gets countered by the BAL/SEA/KC schemes. All the presnap motion that many offenses now use is to confuse the pattern matching coverages that has made its way across the league - Fangio split safety schemes. Playing more man counters this.

The heavily disguised blitz schemes that those defenses use put so much pressure on the OL to have their s**t together. Like you said, it will be a shift from DL/zone heavy to CBs that can man up while scheming up exotic blitz packages. Less emphasis on DLman that can win 1v1, more on the DC to understand and break pass protection schemes.

• pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by titan:
Rex Ryan

I don't know of we want that personality and would Bosa play OLB in his 3-4?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I want Brandon Staley or Mike Vrabel.
call pete caroll
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 49erfaninAZ:

Better question is who can do the most with the pieces that the 49ers currently have on defense?

Truth
Share 49ersWebzone