LISTEN: 49ers Defensive Coordinator Search & Roster Musings →

There are 199 users in the forums

Tracking 49er cuts signed by other teams

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
You right, he was a blanket out there which is why they chose to waive him

So you cannot answer the question.

Um yes, he was a blanket out there compared to Oliver, who was worked by second and third stringers in preseason games we've seen.

I contend this is a mistake by the front office, and you say he was meh in coverage. I ask to show some examples of meh coverage, and all people can do is say well he was waived, therefore he was meh in coverage. Huh ? Is the front office suddenly a deity that can do no wrong in their evaluation ?
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
And my source that says he was meh in coverage is that they waived him.

So by that logic, DJ Reed also has "meh coverage skills" ? Got it.

The one example the FO admitted was a mistake cause they tried to be cute and sneak a player that they mishandled his entire career on the injury waiver. That was a mistake. To act like you have seen more and know more than the coaches at practice is a special kinda hubris
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Really sucks to lose Jamison and Manning. Especially Jamison who might actually be better than Oliver and Ambry and considering the secondary is young and needs depth badly, would probably end up contributing a lot.

Still don't understand the decision to try to sneak Jamison by waivers after everyone talked him up and after he's shwon great tape.

Jamison wasn't really all that good on the field. Showed promise but lack of size hurt him.

They have Luter that they are high on and he made the 53.
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
You right, he was a blanket out there which is why they chose to waive him

So you cannot answer the question.

Um yes, he was a blanket out there compared to Oliver, who was worked by second and third stringers in preseason games we've seen.

I contend this is a mistake by the front office, and you say he was meh in coverage. I ask to show some examples of meh coverage, and all people can do is say well he was waived, therefore he was meh in coverage. Huh ? Is the front office suddenly a deity that can do no wrong in their evaluation ?

Literally just answered your question
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Makes sense. He's from Maryland and went to college in West Virginia. This brings him a lot closer to home.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Meh
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
The one example the FO admitted was a mistake cause they tried to be cute and sneak a player that they mishandled his entire career on the injury waiver. That was a mistake. To act like you have seen more and know more than the coaches at practice is a special kinda hubris

Ah I see, it is the oh that was different school of thought. Why can't this be the same mistake, trying to sneak a player by and failing ?

Never mind that the very same coaches talked up Jamison at a lot of press conferences, Aiyuk gave him an unsolicited shout out, and he looked a lot better than Oliver in preseason (and tbh better than Womack too) in coverage in preseason games we all have seen with our eyes.

I guess at least Knight passed the waivers, so he can be the backup nickel guy if Oliver completely craps the bed.

Edit: Also I remember Mooney Ward saying that Jamison taught him a few things. Can you remind me if Ward said anything like this about other newcomer corners ? Or other corners on this team, period ?
[ Edited by the_dynasty on Aug 30, 2023 at 12:13 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 32,246
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Makes sense. He's from Maryland and went to college in West Virginia. This brings him a lot closer to home.

Another raw talent lost. Darn. Shows me that the 49ers front office is getting good talent evaluation that other teams covet. Thats a good sign for next years 49ers OLine draft class.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 18,745
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by miked1978:
I wonder what % this actually happens across the league. I'm sure it happens but just curious how often.

Weaker teams are always looking at the good teams' cuts in hopes of improving their own team.

That's what Bill Walsh did in 1979. It's how the team grabbed Dwaine "Tiny" Board from the Steelers, who chose to keep Mean Joe Green. The Steelers had a choice. Keep the big star, or develop the kid. They chose Mean Joe. Walsh grabbed the young talent. BOOM!

Dwain Board was a cut pickup? WOW. Such a solid player in the 80's.
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
The one example the FO admitted was a mistake cause they tried to be cute and sneak a player that they mishandled his entire career on the injury waiver. That was a mistake. To act like you have seen more and know more than the coaches at practice is a special kinda hubris

Ah I see, it is the oh that was different school of thought. Why can't this be the same mistake, trying to sneak a player by and failing ?

Never mind that the very same coaches talked up Jamison at a lot of press conferences, Aiyuk gave him an unsolicited shout out, and he looked a lot better than Oliver in preseason (and tbh better than Womack too) in coverage in preseason games we all have seen with our eyes.

I guess at least Knight passed the waivers, so he can be the backup nickel guy if Oliver completely craps the bed.

It was different. And there's a certain poster who was not happy about that move.
https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl/190938-reed-kansas-st-4th-round-2018-draft/page24/

It doesn't appear that Jason Poe was on the practice squad. Does anyone know if he got picked up or not?

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/171347-49ers-2023-practice-squad-tracker/
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Aug 30, 2023 at 2:15 PM ]
Originally posted by Izyniner:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Really sucks to lose Jamison and Manning. Especially Jamison who might actually be better than Oliver and Ambry and considering the secondary is young and needs depth badly, would probably end up contributing a lot.

Still don't understand the decision to try to sneak Jamison by waivers after everyone talked him up and after he's shwon great tape.

Jamison wasn't really all that good on the field. Showed promise but lack of size hurt him.

They have Luter that they are high on and he made the 53.

Technically he's on PUP and not the 53, someone will have to get bumped once they bring him off PUP
Originally posted by dj43:
Brett Maher is available.

I can't handle any maher missed goals
Originally posted by NYniner85:

So he cleared waivers and we said nah we good

Or he spurned us
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Aug 30, 2023 at 4:26 PM ]
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
So he cleared waivers and we said nah we good

Or he spurned us

He'll be less than three hours away from where he grew up and where he played football in college so geography probably played a factor.
Share 49ersWebzone