LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 195 users in the forums

2023 Camp Battles

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
No way Jon Feliciano is fighting for a roster spot, he got nearly all of his $2.25M deal fully GTD.

Also I don't see Colletto vs Bell being a thing, more likely Colletto vs TDP, I have Bell on the 53, 6 WRs this year, Bell is underrated, he & Gray are replacements for Ray-Ray & Jauan IMO, Bell won't clear waivers IMO.

Agreed.

Colletto would be a FB2 (offensive weapon) and Bell, WR6. I think both are competing to show versatility and ST value to make the 53. I don't see them directly competing with each other per se, but with the 53 on offense overall.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
That's fair! We assume it'll be Mitchell but that could be a legit competition.

It won't be, Mitchell is exponentially better

This. How anyone can think otherwise is kinda laughable. Mitchell's only flaw is health

"Only" flaw - is a pretty major one. Like I said, I think Mason brings more as a 1-2 punch. He can come in and start to wear down the defense. And he broke some nice runs last year, against a stacked defense that knew he was getting the ball.

Exactly! Kyle doesn't give af about talent if it can't stay healthy. He's already shipped off 3 RB's for that very reason.

RB2-4 is going to be a legit competition.

And Mitchell hasn't done this? Over a much larger sample size at that? Mitchell is a much better RB and it isn't even close for me. To each their own
Mods making an OTA thread?
Don't think you can conclude a guy will stay healthy based on 43 carries for an entire season.

This. How anyone can think otherwise is kinda laughable. Mitchell's only flaw is health

"Only" flaw - is a pretty major one. Like I said, I think Mason brings more as a 1-2 punch. He can come in and start to wear down the defense. And he broke some nice runs last year, against a stacked defense that knew he was getting the ball.

Exactly! Kyle doesn't give af about talent if it can't stay healthy. He's already shipped off 3 RB's for that very reason.

And Mitchell hasn't done this? Over a much larger sample size at that? Mitchell is a much better RB and it isn't even close for me. To each their own

The competition is what role. Second off the bench? Third? You're also not looking at TDP and the UDFA's. Kyle cut Mostert who had record performances here.

I love Mitchell too but as Kyle proved, if he doesn't believe in your health, the door is wide open for another esp. at RB where we use a heavy rotation anyhow and there will be plenty of carries to go around.

That's what makes RB2-4 a true legit competition, IMHO.

The competition is what role. Second off the bench? Third? You're also not looking at TDP and the UDFA's. Kyle cut Mostert who had record performances here.

I love Mitchell too but as Kyle proved, if he doesn't believe in your health, the door is wide open for another esp. at RB where we use a heavy rotation anyhow and there will be plenty of carries to go around.

Mostert was cut? I don't remember it that way, I thought he just wasn't re-signed as a FA. Big difference there between a 6th round pick contract and what Mostert was looking for, after we already gave him a new contract prior. The role I see Mitchell in is a backup to CMC, the only way I don't see him in that role is if traded or hurt, not because he lost that role to Mason.

Mostert was cut? I don't remember it that way, I thought he just wasn't re-signed as a FA. Big difference there between a 6th round pick contract and what Mostert was looking for, after we already gave him a new contract prior. The role I see Mitchell in is a backup to CMC, the only way I don't see him in that role is if traded or hurt, not because he lost that role to Mason.

His history of health issues IS what makes it a competition.

As to talent, I too like Mitchell > Mason and that's no slight to Mason at all. Mitchell has a very natural feel for this scheme.

Hopefully it works out to a healthy CMC * Mitchell * Mason all year long. And we'll see what we have with TDP and the two UDFA's who have talent as well esp. Laborn.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 23, 2023 at 10:59 AM ]

As to talent, I too like Mitchell > Mason and that's no slight to Mason at all. Mitchell has a very natural feel for this scheme.

Hopefully it works out to a healthy CMC * Mitchell * Mitchell all year long. And we'll see what we have with TDP and the two UDFA's who have talent as well esp. Laborn.

Okay well then that changes the tune of the conversation and I can agree with this. Your original post mentioned nothing abou health, just that it would be a legit competition. The other guy straight up said that he thinks Mason offers more as a 1-2 punch.

Hopefully it works out to a healthy CMC * Mitchell * Mitchell all year long. And we'll see what we have with TDP and the two UDFA's who have talent as well esp. Laborn.

Okay well then that changes the tune of the conversation and I can agree with this. Your original post mentioned nothing abou health, just that it would be a legit competition. The other guy straight up said that he thinks Mason offers more as a 1-2 punch.

Oh gotcha!

True, I didn't specify why there might be a competition on these. That might get a little too into the weeds.

Yeah, I don't agree with that but I'm wondering if he said that because Mason is more of pure change up to CMC's slasher role, similar to Mitchell.

Either way I want all three crushing it this year and healthy. Keep your eye on TDP and Laborn too. Some players have said TDP is someone to keep an eye on and the media is saying Laborn already stands out.

Good times!
^ Same, except I have zero confidence inTDP, never saw what they did in him. Add the fact that he doesn't offer ST value, I wouldn't be surprised if he's cut just like Sermon was. Laborn is for sure someone to keep tabs on

^ Same, except I have zero confidence inTDP, never saw what they did in him. Add the fact that he doesn't offer ST value, I wouldn't be surprised if he's cut just like Sermon was. Laborn is for sure someone to keep tabs on

I feel the same. I've gotta actually see something from TDP first...something.
No way Jon Feliciano is fighting for a roster spot, he got nearly all of his $2.25M deal fully GTD.

Also I don't see Colletto vs Bell being a thing, more likely Colletto vs TDP, I have Bell on the 53, 6 WRs this year, Bell is underrated, he & Gray are replacements for Ray-Ray & Jauan IMO, Bell won't clear waivers IMO.

Agreed.

Colletto would be a FB2 (offensive weapon) and Bell, WR6. I think both are competing to show versatility and ST value to make the 53. I don't see them directly competing with each other per se, but with the 53 on offense overall.

If I had it my way, and Colletto plays well, I'd just cut TDP, I just never understood the pick from the get go, Mason beat him out for reps, and keep Colletto as a backup/ST guy.

How many guys do you view as locks to make the team, would love to see what our lists look like, we're usually down the last 5-7 spots at most each year, might only be 2-3 differences between our final rosters.

Agreed.

If I had it my way, and Colletto plays well, I'd just cut TDP, I just never understood the pick from the get go, Mason beat him out for reps, and keep Colletto as a backup/ST guy.

How many guys do you view as locks to make the team, would love to see what our lists look like, we're usually down the last 5-7 spots at most each year, might only be 2-3 differences between our final rosters.

Honestly, that would make the most sense to me esp. given how effortlessly this FO finds excellent RB's late and as UDFA's. Easy to call up too. Could Kyle finally go with just 3 RB's again?

Oh boy, you've given me a fun new project to work on. Give me a couple days (traveling). I'll post it in the 53 man roster thread. But yeah, I don't anticipate more than a handful of differences.
Every one's eyes will be on the QB battle. This is the number 1 off-season 49ers story.
I'll edit as we gain more information as we go but for now, this seems like the likely camp battles for starting positions, depth and/or making the 53-man roster:

QB2: Trey Lance vs. Sam Darnold (Starter & Depth)
RB2: Elijah Mitchell vs. Jordan Mason (Depth)
RB3/4: Jordan Mason vs. Khalan Laborn (Depth)
RB3/4: Ronald Awatt vs. Ty David-Price (Depth)
FB2/WR6: Jack Colletto vs. Ronnie Bell (Roster)
TE2: Brayden Willis vs. Cameron Latu (Depth)
TE3: Brayden Willis vs. Charliie Woerner (Depth)
C2: Nick Zakelj vs. Jon Feliciano vs. Ilm Manning (Depth)
IOL4: Jason Poe vs. Nick Zakelj vs. Joey Fisher (Depth & Roster)
RT2: Matt Pryor vs. Jaylon Moore vs. Leroy Watson (Depth)
3T2: Kevin Givens vs. Kalia Davis (Depth & Roster)
2i2: Javon Kinlaw vs. T.Y. McGill (Depth & Roster)
ER2: Austin Bryant vs. Robert Beal Jr. vs. Kerry Hyder (Depth & Roster)
SAM1: Dee Winters vs. Oren Burks (Starter)
SAM1/2: Marcelino McCrary-Ball vs. Jalen Graham vs. Demitrius Flannigan-Fowles vs. Curtis Robinson (Depth & Roster)
CB1: Darell Luter Jr. vs. Deommodore Lenoir (Starter)
SCB1: Isaiah Oliver vs. Deommodore Lenoir (Starter)
S/CB2: Samuel Womack III vs. Ambry Thomas vs. Qwuantrezz Knight vs. D'Shawn Jamison (Depth & Roster)
SS1: Tashaun Gipson vs. Ji'Ayir Brown (Starter)
FS2: Tayler Hawkins vs. Miles Hartsfield (Depth & Roster)

Let the games, begin!

Based on several different sources, the highlighted players so far are standing out.

Let me know if I missed any.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 24, 2023 at 6:54 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone