LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 198 users in the forums

The Dave Wilcox Tribute Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Couldn't find an existing thread, so made this.

RIP Dave, you were monstrous and set the franchise standard for OLB play.

Many great memories of you from those early 70's days. Other kids from those days have their own as well, I am sure.

Late 60's and early 70's seemed like the golden age for OLB's with Howley, Bell, Villapiano, Ham, Hanburger, and on and on.

You were as good or better than those guys and should have been in the hall by 1980, not waiting for your grandkids to play football to enjoy the honor you rightfully earned.

Another inductee mess up for the red and gold (see Young, Bryant and Willis, Pat).

Many kids looked up to your example on the field. Thanks for that, your dedication and hard work, and of course the massive hits.

You were one of our greats. Hope folks today will remember.

Thoughts for your family and loved ones.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Apr 19, 2023 at 3:17 PM ]
He was inducted into the HOF with Ronnie Lott and Joe Montana.
Originally posted by TD49ers:

Yes. 20 years after he should have been. Ill clarify.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

Yes. 20 years after he should have been. Ill clarify.

I went to the induction. Had no idea who he was at the time.
RIP sir.
  • dj43

Had he played for the New York Giants, he would have been inducted in 1979. The East Coast media bias was unbelievable in those days.

For younger Niner fans, think of Patrick Willis' physicality with Fred Warner's ability to cover. Wilcox was that good.
Originally posted by dj43:

Had he played for the New York Giants, he would have been inducted in 1979. The East Coast media bias was unbelievable in those days.

For younger Niner fans, think of Patrick Willis' physicality with Fred Warner's ability to cover. Wilcox was that good.

From the little I know, those late 60s/early 70s 49ers had some great players. Awesome stuff.

RIP Mr. Wilcox.
Dave Wilcox was before my time, but I recall him being part of the 2000 HOF class with Montana and Lott.

I was still in school at the time and a young diehard, but Dave was the one who inspired me to learn about the 49ers full history.

A true 49er great. May he rest easy.
The Intimidator was a stud.

Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Couldn't find an existing thread, so made this.

RIP Dave, you were monstrous and set the franchise standard for OLB play.

Many great memories of you from those early 70's days. Other kids from those days have their own as well, I am sure.

Late 60's and early 70's seemed like the golden age for OLB's with Howley, Bell, Villapiano, Ham, Hanburger, and on and on.

You were as good or better than those guys and should have been in the hall by 1980, not waiting for your grandkids to play football to enjoy the honor you rightfully earned.

Another inductee mess up for the red and gold (see Young, Bryant and Willis, Pat).

Many kids looked up to your example on the field. Thanks for that, your dedication and hard work, and of course the massive hits.

You were one of our greats. Hope folks today will remember.

Thoughts for your family and loved ones.
Had a friend whose father coached under Dick Nolan. Went to several games and practices.
Met Wilcox, Cedrick Hardman , Jimmy Johnson, Mel Phillips, Gene Washington and many more.

Never forget got in the locker rooms prior to a game. There was Charlie Krueger and Ted Kwalick smoking cigarettes while suiting up..

Dave Wilcox was really cool to talk with. Never forget his huge cigar in his mouth as he walked in the lockers . Guy was tough as nails. Mike Ditka had some great stories about him. Great memories.
The man was a rock. He could play in any era and still be a Hall Of Famer. He belongs with the 49er Greats of All-Time.
Wilcox was one of the few 49ers that was a true great for a few years when the team was down. His first 6 seasons they were .500 or worse. Usually worse. Then Dick Nolan took ove rnd they turned things around in 1970. I live in Eugene and I can tell you he is revered here.
Such a stud, my god, didn't know he was quite THAT GOOD.

A shame our pre Walsh era greats aren't quite as celebrated.

Thanks for the memories Dave, and good thread.
Share 49ersWebzone