LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 299 users in the forums

Joe Montana or Steve Young?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Joe Montana or Steve Young?

It's the offseason and I know the younger crowd favors Steve, not having had a chance to watch all of Joe's games. The pro TL crowd, non TL crowd and non committals have already made their POV clear, so I'm curious how everyone feels here. Favor the playing style? The clutch? Or maybe personality? We have a long time to debate Purdy/Lance, so let's switch it up. I've seen a ton of posters wanting Kyle gone because he hasn't won a Super Bowl, but they also prefer Young to Montana, so I'm confused.
I love Steve but it is Joe.
Steve Young gonna have to log on to get a vote
I dont want to choose. Love them both. Same with BP and TL.

I will say this, it was time to move on from Montana.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Give me Steve
So many highs and a few lows. Clutch play after clutch play when the game was on the line on big games.I also saw Joe got destroyed by Jim Burt and then later by Marshall ( geez, I hate that Giants team back then). Then I cried when he got traded to KC lol. Love Steve, but Joe was my first and only true love .
Originally posted by 9erguy:
I love Steve but it is Joe.

Yep. Young is my favorite all time player, but there's not much case for taking him over Montana.
  • dj43
Joe set the bar very high when it came to making plays that had to be made. He wasn't called Joe Cool for nothing. He had that remarkable ability to never let the game be too big for him. The famous Super Bowl story about the team nervously standing in the huddle and Joe pointing out John Candy in the stands typifies Joe to me. He was not only cool, but he also conveyed that feeling of cool confidence to his teammates. They never felt they were out of a game with Joe. Though he played in another era, he is the G.O.A.T.

I know it is very early to say this but Brock Purdy reminds me of Joe - very early we heard the stories from the vets - "the game is not too big for him."
In their individual primes, it is Joe. No question.
Both

Joe was a big part of changing the culture of the franchise from almost good enough to winners. That in itself is reason enough to roll with Joe.
Joe for sure.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Both

Glad we had both
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
I thought Jimmy was ahead of Steve?
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
always and forever

Share 49ersWebzone