LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 196 users in the forums

Who will be the next 49ers Defensive Coordinator?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who will be the next 49ers Defensive Coordinator?

Hopefully we have our DC locked down by this weekend if not next week. Ryans, Payton are also lining up their staff. So we might have a competetion from one or 2 possible candidates.
[ Edited by frankieuc68 on Feb 1, 2023 at 9:50 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by Mookster:
Fangio has run a 3-4 wherever he's been.... it would require a complete retooling of our defensive line personnel to shift back and given its a strength I'm hoping Fangio ends up in Miami.

Well, considering that majority of our DL are going to be free agents, I think now is a good time to do it if they're serious about Fangio. Ebukam, Hyder, Ridgeway, Omenihu, Willis and Givens are all free agents.

AA, Kinlaw and Drake Jackson all played in 3-4s in college. The only person I'm really concerned about is Bosa. Outside of being asked to drop in coverage from time to time, I think the stance change on certain downs could impact his game, but I've seen what his brother has done in this scheme. Nick Bosa should be okay.

Good point about how a bunch of DL are free agents and it's an opportunity to retool for scheme fit. Ebukam has played 3-4 OLB with LAR, in a Fangio scheme (with BStaley). Drake has been jerked around positionally in college and would do it again if it's Fangio. There's also an adjustment for the ILBs, Warner and Greenlaw, and how they have to adjust to 1.5 gap stuff - read and react to how the DTs are being blocked.
Fangio is a great defensive coach and some of these players are great so they can figure it out if there is a scheme change. I trust that part.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
It sure sounds like Kyle is intent on keeping the wide 9.
  • thl408
It sure sounds like Kyle is intent on keeping the wide 9.

I'm glad. I do think there's something to be said about not doing what the rest of the league is doing. Like you mentioned yesterday, everyone and they mama starting to go to five man fronts, 1.5 gap, Quarters.

I'm fine with playing lots of Quarters because that's a sound coverage scheme to combat a lot of what the league is doing from a passing standpoint, but it's good to be different up front.

Also, it may go back to what Saleh said about marrying base and nickel. Why be different in base when it only accounts for 30% of snaps? Teach one thing and master it.
So no Fangio?
Originally posted by Jcool:

Thank god
Originally posted by 49erfaninAZ:
So no Fangio?

Based on what Shanahan says, it sounds like his goal is to keep the defensive coaching group intact. It's up to Fangio if he wants to do that.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Jcool:

Thank god

And an Amen on top of that …
Fangio has run a 3-4 wherever he's been.... it would require a complete retooling of our defensive line personnel to shift back and given its a strength I'm hoping Fangio ends up in Miami.

Well, considering that majority of our DL are going to be free agents, I think now is a good time to do it if they're serious about Fangio. Ebukam, Hyder, Ridgeway, Omenihu, Willis and Givens are all free agents.

AA, Kinlaw and Drake Jackson all played in 3-4s in college. The only person I'm really concerned about is Bosa. Outside of being asked to drop in coverage from time to time, I think the stance change on certain downs could impact his game, but I've seen what his brother has done in this scheme. Nick Bosa should be okay.

Fangio has run 3-4 and 4-3. He taylors his defenses to the personnel. You will see him use 4-3 under concepts and everything in between. His defense is very tough for QBs to make pre snap reads. Often forcing the QB to make the read post snap hence making him hold the ball a tick longer allowing the pass rush more time. He seldom blitzes but had some of the best stunts ever. You do have to have good safeties in his scheme. As Far as Bosa is concerned see what Aldon Smith did under Fangio.
[ Edited by leakyfausett on Feb 1, 2023 at 12:45 PM ]

I hope they just don't select a lesser guy based off continuity. Just b/c he likes to run the same scheme doesn't mean the guy is good at it.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Pick a candidate and why you think they'd be a good fit for the job.

Can't pick one. But my guess is it's among the top three that you posted. All three are internal candidates. Shanahan does like to promote from within.

I can't argue with his approach. It's produced some excellent results. Bill Walsh did the same thing. George Seifert started out as a DB coach under Walsh. He was eventually elevated to DC.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Pick a candidate and why you think they'd be a good fit for the job.

Can't pick one. But my guess is it's among the top three that you posted. All three are internal candidates. Shanahan does like to promote from within.

I can't argue with his approach. It's produced some excellent results. Bill Walsh did the same thing. George Seifert started out as a DB coach under Walsh. He was eventually elevated to DC.

I say bring in the Viking ex-HC and let him run the D
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by leakyfausett:

Fangio has run 3-4 and 4-3. He taylors his defenses to the personnel. You will see him use 4-3 under concepts and everything in between. His defense is very tough for QBs to make pre snap reads. Often forcing the QB to make the read post snap hence making him hold the ball a tick longer allowing the pass rush more time. He seldom blitzes but had some of the best stunts ever. You do have to have good safeties in his scheme. As Far as Bosa is concerned see what Aldon Smith did under Fangio.

I've been concerned about his rookie development procedures. One reason we start off so poorly typically during the season is that Kyle is willing to play rookies and develop them, and they all suck in the beginning of the year. Look at Lance as an example. I hope if we get Fangio, he stays with the wide 9, and plays rookies more prominently than in his previous career.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Fangio would be good for finally keeping a DC for a while. He probably learned that being a HC isn't for him.

Thats the positive for Vic. I Would want a defense designed very much like the Eagles defense. Very strong DLine and Defensive backs, and a good to great Linebacking Corps. That defensive formula has won the 49ers a lot of Superbowls. Therefore a defensive back minded HC would be my choice. Vic would be my number two if we couldn't get the best young up and comming defensive backs coach in the NFL as the DC.

The thing I love about Fangio is his system. Like with Kyle, once he has it fully implemented, guys can step in and play well. Good eye for talent for his systems too. There was one year everyone on defense was dropping like flies and he was still able to get a top 5 defense out of that group.

If he implements his system, my understanding is it's complicated, specially on the back end coverages. Unless he can teach and convert strong safeties into good linebackers, he's my number two.
Share 49ersWebzone