LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 140 users in the forums

Week 16 VS WAS Commanders Coaches Film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
well everyone, it was a frantic couple days to get the review video out so here it is, what are some things y'all would like to see covered before the playoffs?

Thanks, jonny, for the request. Before the playoffs, I'd like to see a study of the broken coverages that have occurred regularly if infrequently. Or perhaps the struggles in the red zone.
[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Dec 27, 2022 at 9:42 PM ]
Sweet!

Man, that play where you can see the difference between Mooney Ward and Deommodore Lenoir's technique is eye-opening. It's a great illustration of the difference between a young player and a veteran player (that is playing at a Pro Bowl level).
  • eman
  • Veteran
You're awesome bro
Appreciate all your time in watching the film and editing it and sharing it. I learn a lot from your breakdowns.

Question!
Last year, we were great in the redzone. This year... not so much.
What are you seeing on film, especially since we've acquired CMC?

In my eyes, I'm thinking we're not as effective in the redzone this year, because our bread and butter run play, the outside zone, isn't as effective, and thus, everything that branches off of it just isn't as effective. There are so many options to go with between Deebo, Aiyuk, CMC, Kittle, Jennings... that it surprises me we're not converting more redzone opportunities into touchdowns. I realize the game situation against the Commanders lended itself to more conservative playcalling, but still... I'm curious what the issue is.
Nice video, I think that 4th down play was what Kyle wanted, but he didn't expect the best left tackle of all time to get beat and pushed like a rag doll lol...
A few other plays I've got comments about but too buzzing to reply about lol...

also I feel like all these man scape droppings going to make me gift it sooner than later.

go 49ERS!!
Thanks jonny. I'll watch that tonight. Always a highlight of my week!

I second the call for a forensic on our busted secondary plays, which seem to occur once or twice a game, and constitute our only persistent weakness at the moment.
[ Edited by joeknows on Dec 28, 2022 at 3:19 AM ]
Great video as always, JD!

To be honest, I didn't even know 2 invert coverage exists :)
So what I thought that they had a cover 3 with a blew MOF coverage. Anyway, if the corners' responsibility was to cover deep 1/2 field, they shouldn't be so outside leveraged, It looks like any deep concept would have worked, any post, deep dig, divide, verticals...
Another thing, shouldn't the middle zone safety had more attention matching a #2 vertical release from any side? It was just too easy.
Not sure if they were cheating to overcrowd underneath middle zones, but it seems a terrible idea.

When the safety realized, Kittle was already passing by full speed to the endzone. Ray-ray is also with too much cushion and inside leverage to work anything deep inside, whithout any help.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Appreciate all your time in watching the film and editing it and sharing it. I learn a lot from your breakdowns.

Question!
Last year, we were great in the redzone. This year... not so much.
What are you seeing on film, especially since we've acquired CMC?

In my eyes, I'm thinking we're not as effective in the redzone this year, because our bread and butter run play, the outside zone, isn't as effective, and thus, everything that branches off of it just isn't as effective. There are so many options to go with between Deebo, Aiyuk, CMC, Kittle, Jennings... that it surprises me we're not converting more redzone opportunities into touchdowns. I realize the game situation against the Commanders lended itself to more conservative playcalling, but still... I'm curious what the issue is.

Sone of those are hard to pinpoint vs previous years. That would be something I think they'd take a look at with a deep analytics dive. I.e. effectiveness vs certain coverages and fronts to see where the drop-off has been. That's something for people paid very well by the organization to do, lol

Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Nice video, I think that 4th down play was what Kyle wanted, but he didn't expect the best left tackle of all time to get beat and pushed like a rag doll lol...
A few other plays I've got comments about but too buzzing to reply about lol...

also I feel like all these man scape droppings going to make me gift it sooner than later.

go 49ERS!!

Well, and im supposed to wait go fully announce it in January but we're close enough. They're launching a brand new beard trimmer and beard care line. They're saying it's the biggest launch since the lawnmower. I'll get mine in a couple weeks to try but they've put as much in to the beard trimmer as the lawnmower. It'll be available in store January 17th but as a soft opening and then really to a full launch campaign in February.
That 4th down play with the pitch option. I agree, it should have been ran to the right for the fact that Juice is right handed. But I don't think that is why the play didn't work. You never mentioned in the video how TW got blown up and pushed back on the play. If TW didn't get pushed back, Juice wouldn't have had to try to get around him and therefor throw off the angle and depth at which the pitch had to be made.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Dec 28, 2022 at 6:54 AM ]
Originally posted by asvidzinski:
Great video as always, JD!

To be honest, I didn't even know 2 invert coverage exists :)
So what I thought that they had a cover 3 with a blew MOF coverage. Anyway, if the corners' responsibility was to cover deep 1/2 field, they shouldn't be so outside leveraged, It looks like any deep concept would have worked, any post, deep dig, divide, verticals...
Another thing, shouldn't the middle zone safety had more attention matching a #2 vertical release from any side? It was just too easy.
Not sure if they were cheating to overcrowd underneath middle zones, but it seems a terrible idea.

Invert-2, if there's any matching rules, is for the #3. Most of the time there aren't because the idea is that you really wanna take away the seams and short/intermediate middle where the C3 is vulnerable so you have those corners play deep half down the seam/#'s and kind of robber the middle. The big weakness is anything deeper down the MOF. It's the same coverage that ARI ran on the big TD Jimmy had to Kittle down the middle of the field.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
That 4th down play with the pitch option. I agree, it should have been ran to the right for the fact that Juice is right handed. But I don't think that is why the play didn't work. You never mentioned in the video how TW got blown up and pushed back on the play. If TW didn't get pushed back, Juice wouldn't have had to try to get around him and therefor throw the angle and depth at which the pitch had to be made.

Yeah that's there I guess I looked at it that if we get a clean pitch there we get a first down and I hate having right handed guys have to make that pitch to the left.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
That 4th down play with the pitch option. I agree, it should have been ran to the right for the fact that Juice is right handed. But I don't think that is why the play didn't work. You never mentioned in the video how TW got blown up and pushed back on the play. If TW didn't get pushed back, Juice wouldn't have had to try to get around him and therefor throw the angle and depth at which the pitch had to be made.

Yeah that's there I guess I looked at it that if we get a clean pitch there we get a first down and I hate having right handed guys have to make that pitch to the left.
Did TWs run stance give the DE an advantage ?
Share 49ersWebzone