LISTEN: 49ers Draft Hits And Misses With ESPN's Matt Miller →

There are 150 users in the forums

Jordan Mason-RB-Georgia Tech-UDFA

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by davidboutte:
Mason will lead this team in rushing yards. I just wrote it down. Here's how it happens. Mason begins #3. Behind Mitchell and Wilson. Mitchell gets hurt. Mason splits with Wilson and takes over RB1. When Mitchell returns Mason and Mitchell in whatever order split reps remainder of season. Mason finishes with 1000 yards. Mitchell has 800

I think this is just as likely to happen as us trying to stash Mason and someone else picking him off our roster.

If I was GM I'd keep Mason… but I'm not sure he's a lock to make the roster over Hasty.
If he has another strong outing on Thursday I think Sermon is going to be cut.

Hasty is going to be on the team, whether we like it or not. He supposedly looks better this year vs last. Shanahan loves him in that 3rd down role for some reason.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Leathaface:

Hasty is going to be on the team, whether we like it or not. He supposedly looks better this year vs last. Shanahan loves him in that 3rd down role for some reason.

I'd keep Hasty for that third down roll, so I change my tune on that. But, I agree - Sermon is in jeopardy of being cut if he doesn't start showing something.
Probably see Mason start Thursday, or come in as 2nd RB. Get early run and convince FO to cut Sermon. Mason is a baller and you know this !!!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Loving the look of this kid. Much preferred to TDP and Sermon for me. I think he's probably a PS stash for now (I'm predicting some mysterious IR designations soon), but wouldn't surprise me to see him earning some carries in season.

Agree 💯%, I am very impressed with this player. As you said, much more impressive than either TDP or Sermon.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by Leathaface:

I'd keep Hasty for that third down roll, so I change my tune on that. But, I agree - Sermon is in jeopardy of being cut if he doesn't start showing something.

Hasty looked very good in the first quarter of the Vikings game. Sermon didn't look very explosive. Sermon supposedly has this 10 yard split that indicates a lot of explosive acceleration. I didn't see it in the game to be honest. He still looked slow and indecisive. Really upset that he even dropped a pass - when his job is in jeopardy.
My surname is Mason so this bloke is going to kick arse
Originally posted by Giedi:
Hasty looked very good in the first quarter of the Vikings game. Sermon didn't look very explosive. Sermon supposedly has this 10 yard split that indicates a lot of explosive acceleration. I didn't see it in the game to be honest. He still looked slow and indecisive. Really upset that he even dropped a pass - when his job is in jeopardy.

Yeah all of what you said regarding Sermon is unfortunately correct. I concur my dear sir I still can't believe his 10-yard split was the same as Mosterts and it didn't in any way translate to the field. What a disappointment. Trade him for a sixth or seventh round pick
[ Edited by elguapo on Aug 22, 2022 at 4:13 AM ]
I agree with everyone about Sermon....he kinda sucks. But my gut tells me that Shanny keeps him for one more year out of belief (and where he was drafted).
  • titan
  • Veteran
Runn'n STRONG!!! I'd like to see him get the start.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by raywm3:
I agree with everyone about Sermon....he kinda sucks. But my gut tells me that Shanny keeps him for one more year out of belief (and where he was drafted).

i am old school... i think you earn your spot.... so far.. no matter his draft status.. he has earned nothing and is not deserving of a spot.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:

i am old school... i think you earn your spot.... so far.. no matter his draft status.. he has earned nothing and is not deserving of a spot.

100% agree.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by cciowa:

100% agree.

i hope no says... ok cc.. so how do you justify a spot for wilson on the roster since he has done nothing this pre season .. i guess i would say, well unlike sermon.. wilson has a very good resume with us. oh,, something happened to me over night mayo.. cuz i went from wanting the team to keep hasty yesterday to... its ok to dump him as long as we keep our two rookies
Get this kid some snaps with the 1's.
We'll see very soon if this kid will be kept on the 53..

I would keep him over Hasty. Hasty hasn't done chit when given the chance to produce and as a 3rd down back, hasn't caught every pass thrown his way. They have Deebo and Ray Ray who can easily play that same role in the back field and actually produce way more.

It will come down to if they want to keep Sermon or Mason or both on the 53, or Mason to the practice squad because he's not ready to play vs NFL starting defenses, Kyle would know.
Share 49ersWebzone