There are 171 users in the forums

10,000 Days Since Last Title

Shop Find 49ers gear online
When you're young time doesn't mean that much. Ten, fifteen year intervals are manageable, But for those fans that watched Y. A. during the fifties and endured the droughts and Camelot these near misses make you think will we get another one during my life?
It's definitely harder to have a dynasty in the NFL now than it is in MLB or the NBA. MLB has no cap and the NBA allows owners to pay a luxury tax if they want to exceed the soft cap. Still players move around in an effort to team up with friends or the possibility of winning a title.

We see less movement in the NFL and when we do it's often because a team needs to clear salary cap space or wants to take advantage of the locked in rookie contracts.

NE had a very unique situation for a 20 year period. They played in the weakest division so they almost had an automatic run to the playoffs. The other 3 teams all had ownership and coaching turmoil. In the last 28 years, no team from the AFC East other than the Patriots has even made it to the SB. Meanwhile they had a young QB who seemed to never age. He was able to take less salary since he was married to a super model so the team could sign good players. They also had the best coach during that entire time. Continuity os rare in the NFL these days but they had the same owner, coach and QB during that entire time.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Jun 18, 2022 at 11:57 AM ]
We haven't won since 2010. Two awesome QBs for almost 30 years and only 2 titles to show for it.
Not for lack of trying, the Harbaugh and Shanahan teams have come so heartbreakingly close, and had and still have rosters and cultures worthy of a championship.

I'm optimistic that this squad will get one soon.
[ Edited by SinceXVI on Jun 18, 2022 at 4:00 PM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
This is why we got Trey Lance!
I'm old.
This is concerning.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Blame Kyle and the 2012 weak ass defense for this drought.

I don't really blame Kyle for the loss. I'm more so bothered for the lack of prioritizing the team's flaws that put us in that situation for too long (O-line). They did take some steps in 2021 (the Alex Mack signing, drafting of Aaron Banks, and Jaylon Moore), but Mack was a one and done and it remains to be seen what Banks and Moore have done. They seem to be confident about these guys however (Brendel included). Gonna be sickening if some great play by a DT (Chris Jones in the SB or Aaron Donald in the NFCCG) is our downfall again.

In 2012, add in Greg Roman for not giving the ball to Gore.
Originally posted by Jubwub88:

I don't think the defense is to blame… that's kind of a stupid statement

Yes they are. When the Smith brothers got hurt (though they both tried to play through it), that was the end of any elite performances by our D. They had key stops, but starting from that New England game, we surrendered over 30 points in four of the final six games. The number of times we gave up 30 points in the previous 31 games? Once. The defense fell off of a cliff when Justin and Aldon got hurt.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

I don't really blame Kyle for the loss. I'm more so bothered for the lack of prioritizing the team's flaws that put us in that situation for too long (O-line). They did take some steps in 2021 (the Alex Mack signing, drafting of Aaron Banks, and Jaylon Moore), but Mack was a one and done and it remains to be seen what Banks and Moore have done. They seem to be confident about these guys however (Brendel included). Gonna be sickening if some great play by a DT (Chris Jones in the SB or Aaron Donald in the NFCCG) is our downfall again.

I don't think the defense is to blame… that's kind of a stupid statement

Yes they are. When the Smith brothers got hurt (though they both tried to play through it), that was the end of any elite performances by our D. They had key stops, but starting from that New England game, we surrendered over 30 points in four of the final six games. The number of times we gave up 30 points in the previous 31 games? Once. The defense fell off of a cliff when Justin and Aldon got hurt.

Great post.

This. Injuries cost us the Ravens SB More than anything. Well except horrific refereeing
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by elguapo:

This. Injuries cost us the Ravens SB More than anything. Well except horrific refereeing

I blame both Harbaugh and KS10 for the SB losses..

Originally posted by 9moon:

I blame both Harbaugh and KS10 for the SB losses..

I don't think we beat New England in 2011 with Brett Swain as our other starting receiver.
I'd trade the warriors and the giants for a 49ers title.

im getting old too and would like to see a trophy in my lifetime. Heartbreakingly close guys man it's been so s**tty we are always just one play away.
I'd trade the warriors and the giants for a 49ers title.

im getting old too and would like to see a trophy in my lifetime. Heartbreakingly close guys man it's been so s**tty we are always just one play away.

27? Old? Man I'm going to sit in a corner and cry now.

Good point with the referee factor. With a duration like 10,000 days you can't blame a lack of a championship solely on that but man have we been unlucky at critical moments (bosa hold against KC another one).
Originally posted by WashDCNinerFan:

Good point with the referee factor. With a duration like 10,000 days you can't blame a lack of a championship solely on that but man have we been unlucky at critical moments (bosa hold against KC another one).

Great teams overcome that stuff. The Niners aren't the only team that has had critical injuries or bad calls in all those years.
Share 49ersWebzone