LISTEN: Way Too Early 49ers Roster Prediction →

There are 109 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Doesn't seem like a bad take. Allen has been a turnover machine and Purdy has been a 3rd down machine. One is in the conference finals while the other will be watching from home.

Yes it does. It's a ridiculous take. I love what Brock has done for this team. But to say it's not ridiculous that someone would take him over Josh Allen is insane. Every GM in football would take Allen.

that does not making something right or wrong....

Every GM in football would take Josh Allen over Rookie Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Starbach, and Theisman, too.

Are they right?

This reminds me of the old Phil Simms or Joe Montana conversations.

Forget physical measurables. Josh Allen single handedly cost his team several times this season including his last game because of his need to play hero ball. I don't want that. I will take intelligence and maturity over physical gifts anyday.

Thank you! You live and die with this mentality so often and we see it every year with "elite athletic QB's" more often than not or QB's who are asked to BE the offense. It's hard to undo that urge to play hero ball when the pressure is on and the stakes are high. We've seen it cost every "elite" QB over the years.

Brock is listening to Kyle, his coaching points, his philosophy, his instructions...use it to escape and throw it away. Only if a safe opportunity presents itself, take it. There's something to be said for that and it leads to the difference in W's and L's.
Forget physical measurables.

....said no NFL Team EVER.
Originally posted by random49er:

🤣 Well they can continue to sit at home and watch the SB EVERy year. Tom Brady was never known for his measurables. The guy won SB's because of his quick processing. Joe Montana the same thing. Patrick Mahomes, while physically gifted, has a very quick processor. I could go on but these QB's should suffice. So perhaps its the NFL that needs to rethink how they should evaluate players.

🤣 Well they can continue to sit at home and watch the SB EVERy year. Tom Brady was never known for his measurables. The guy won SB's because of his quick processing. Joe Montana the same thing. Patrick Mahomes, while physically gifted, has a very quick processor. I could go on but these QB's should suffice. So perhaps its the NFL that needs to rethink how they should evaluate players.

The fact that he's @ least 6 ft matters.

The fact that his throwing velocity mph is in the mid 50's matters.

I mean no,...we can't just forget physical measurables. That will just never happen. They do help to paint a portrait. That doesn't mean to ignore whatever you've seen on film from a player. Both can be important.

Also remember that one exception here and there NEVER makes the rule.
Why do these guys even waste time with this stuff post-draft if they are to just be forgotten? These are not my words so won't include my name in the quote:

I see a lot of people saying Brady and Manning didn't have relatively strong arms so I decided to do a little research.

First I looked up ball velocity for both QBs.

Tom Brady 61 mph (source Tom himself and cbs sports) https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/tom-brady-fires-back-at-doubters-by-touting-his-impressive-throwing-velocity-as-his-42nd-birthday-nears/

Peyton Manning 59 mph (source sports rec) https://www.sportsrec.com/6938474/maximum-speed-of-a-football

If you compare that to the last three drafts classes they are behind or equal to:

Josh Allen 62 mph, Baker Mayfield 59

Will Grier 59, Brett Rypien 59

Jacob Eason 59, Jake Luton 59, Steve Montez 59

Clearly top of the line.

There is however more to arm strength than just velocity so let's take a look at air traveled too.

Tom Brady's would be 66.7 yards (source https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-farthest-distance-Tom-Brady-can-throw)

Peyton's is 69 yards (source https://www.topendsports.com/sport/gridiron/longest-throw.htm)

Clearly some numbers may be off but as you can see they both still had above average to, top 10 arm strength at the heights of their career.

#BoxesChecked

*Pre and Post Surgery Manning is something to note, just in case you only really saw him late in his career.

**As a pro QB coming out of the draft you are trying to to mask your weaknesses as much as possible as you further your career.
[ Edited by random49er on Jan 26, 2023 at 4:57 AM ]

I mean no,...we can't just forget physical measurables. That will just never happen. They do help to paint a portrait. That doesn't mean to ignore whatever you've seen on film from a player. Both can be important.

Well you can continue to follow the NFL trend that is 1st round bust after 1st round bust and never question those decision makers if you so chose to. I will continue to see things in a different way. Intelligence will always be superior to physical abilities. Finding a QB who has both is like winning the powerball. Sure its possible but its highly improbable.

Well you can continue to follow the NFL trend that is 1st round bust after 1st round bust and never question those decision makers if you so chose to. I will continue to see things in a different way. Intelligence will always be superior to physical abilities. Finding a QB who has both is like winning the powerball. Sure its possible but its highly improbable.

No need to follow trends or busts or whatever. It's a clear fact that pro sports measurables DO matter. These guys work very hard at improving the ones they can. You really think a player's height doesn't matter? The average height of a male is 5'9" or so, right?

How many 5'9" (or shorter) guys do we see in football @ ANY position?

Deion ran a 4.2ish 40. I think they say he came, ran a 4.21, and then went home. You dont think that helped him be the best CB ever?
[ Edited by random49er on Jan 26, 2023 at 5:10 AM ]

No need to follow trends or busts or whatever. It's a clear fact that pro sports measurables DO matter. These guys work very hard at improving the ones they can. You really think a player's height doesn't matter? The average height of a male is 5'9" or so, right?

There have been just as many, if not more, 1st round busts that fit the physical prototype of an NFL QB. Those QB's don't fail because their physical abilities let them down. They fail because they don't have what it takes upstairs. For someone with less than favorable physical abilities but is highly intelligent with a quick processor is more likely to lean on the cerebral aspect of football than a QB that is physically gifted.
There have been just as many, if not more, 1st round busts that fit the physical prototype of an NFL QB. Those QB's don't fail because their physical abilities let them down. They fail because they don't have what it takes upstairs. For someone with less than favorable physical abilities but is highly intelligent with a quick processor is more likely to lean on the cerebral aspect of football than a QB that is physically gifted.

Dont fall into the trap of discussing busts and exceptions to the general rule.

You are a statistics guy, right? The average NFL starting QB height is 6'3". Not busts that never make the field,...but starters. Why would this be the case if the measurables don't matter? Why isin't it much closer to 5'9"?? The curve shows that there are MANY more 5'9" candidates to be QB than there are 6'3" guys.
[ Edited by random49er on Jan 26, 2023 at 5:25 AM ]

Deion ran a 4.2ish 40. I think they say he came, ran a 4.21, and then went home. You dont think that helped him be the best CB ever?

I know this was addressed to someone else, but of course it helped. But his speed was not the no. 1 thing that made him great. Fast guys come out every year. Then you have the elite of the elite every so often that do run a 4.2. But what pushed Deion over the top was his prep. He was Richard Sherman like in his understanding of the game, the way he watched film, and his speed pushed him over the top.

You are a statistics guy, right? The average NFL starting QB height is 6'3". Not busts that never make the field,...but starters. Why would this be the case if the measurables don't matter? Why isin't it much closer to 5'9". The curve shows that there are MANY more 5'9" candidates to be QB than there are 6'3" guys.

Because, I believe that the NFL needs to rethink their strategy when it comes to the QB position. The trend has been leaning more toward drafting QB's who lean on their athletism as a crutch to make up for their ability to be pocket passers. I mean, the difference in 4 inches of height isn't really much when you actually observe it. The more Intelligent QB's are going to move around, buy time and find those passing lanes. If a QB is good at that, height is not as big of a factor as you are trying to make it out to be. Drew Brees succeeded because of his intelligence and quick processing. Where a guy like Kyler Murray is on the decline because his porcessing and intelligence has hit a ceiling.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

I know this was addressed to someone else, but of course it helped. But his speed was not the no. 1 thing that made him great. Fast guys come out every year. Then you have the elite of the elite every so often that do run a 4.2. But what pushed Deion over the top was his prep. He was Richard Sherman like in his understanding of the game, the way he watched film, and his speed pushed him over the top.

The original post said to completely forget measurables and that they dont matter, FWIW.

The truth as usual lies somewhere in-between both extremes.

You are a statistics guy, right? The average NFL starting QB height is 6'3". Not busts that never make the field,...but starters. Why would this be the case if the measurables don't matter? Why isin't it much closer to 5'9". The curve shows that there are MANY more 5'9" candidates to be QB than there are 6'3" guys.

Because, I believe that the NFL needs to rethink their strategy when it comes to the QB position. The trend has been leaning more toward drafting QB's who lean on their athletism as a crutch to make up for their ability to be pocket passers. I mean, the difference in 4 inches of height isn't really much when you actually observe it. The more Intelligent QB's are going to move around, buy time and find those passing lanes. If a QB is good at that, height is not as big of a factor as you are trying to make it out to be. Drew Brees succeeded because of his intelligence and quick processing. Where a guy like Kyler Murray is on the decline because his porcessing and intelligence has hit a ceiling.

So in your opinion,...guys that are 5'9" -- everything else even -- have just as much chance @ being successful NFL QBs as guys that are 6'4" or whatever?

The statistics for years say exactly the opposite but if this is your opinion I mean hey...go with it!
[ Edited by random49er on Jan 26, 2023 at 5:29 AM ]

So in your opinion,...guys that are 5'9" -- everything else even -- have just as much chance @ being successful NFL QBs as guys that are 6'4" or whatever?

The statistics for years say exactly the opposite but if this is your opinion I mean hey...go with it!

I just gave you two examples but of course you ignore them.
YAC,...here is the unedited curve. Notice what percentile of athleticism is the peak.

Notice how the curve drops off around the 95th percentile or so.

Do you know what types of players this range represents? It's the range of the players you are referring to. Maybe in the league still due to ATHLETICISM.

But notice how that's roughly 5% of established players instead of the amount you've suggested in your recent posts.

And even when I compare the 99.9 percentile to the 0.1 percentile (the blue dot),....notice the clear, huge difference between them. Athletic guy that doesn't belong still wins out by far. In layman's terms, EXTREMELY ATHLETIC GUY's representation doubles NON-ATHLETIC GUY on the field.

I just gave you two examples but of course you ignore them.

I'll see what I missed,...but were you referring to the entire league, or exceptions to what clearly matters as in the above graph? Because they are clearly represented above with no issues. Or was it this?

If a QB is good at that, height is not as big of a factor as you are trying to make it out to be.

It's clearly a big deal, and I'm only referring to the representation of NFL players in relation to physical measurements,...not my personal preference. That doesn't mean u need to be 6'6". You can't just say "forget the measurables" and not expect obvious pushback. It's just not true. Better athletic scores SHOULD assist a player in a game like football,..and they DO.

Edit:

Even in trying to make the argument for you,...I cant. Height distributions among various positions, e.g. We could probably all agree that Kicker should be the one that matters the least, right?

Outside of that, the closest we can get is the WR position. "Speedy" 5'8" guys we can throw in the slot and maybe a 6'5" guy with good feet is worth having on the team, even if he's not really good.

But notice that QB is nowhere close to these obvious, generally excepted extremes @ WR.
[ Edited by random49er on Jan 26, 2023 at 5:58 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone