Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 532 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Originally posted by Grande:
Yup crazy how hated in he is/was but that's 49ers fans for you. If it's not Joe or Steve they are ungrateful. Sadly, if Brock starts to struggle it'll be his turn.

To yesterdays game, I thought Brock missed a few throws he shouldn't have but I thought he played pretty damn well besides that. I'm perplexed why some are giving him a hard time. Denver is a good team with a great defense.

i think one miss in particular brock threw it one place and cowing was at another place, gonna say i trust brock here more than cowing this is why the young guys often don't see the field unless there is huge need if cowing is at the wrong spot you might have a ball going the other way no fault of brock
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 34,555
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
i think one miss in particular brock threw it one place and cowing was at another place, gonna say i trust brock here more than cowing this is why the young guys often don't see the field unless there is huge need if cowing is at the wrong spot you might have a ball going the other way no fault of brock

Wow, Cowing still missing routes? I haven't seen the game yet, will do do soon after I get back - but that is disappointing.
Originally posted by Grande:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
I'm not sure those numbers are accurate. This is what pro-football reference shows (including playoffs):

Jimmy G: 42-19 (38-17 regular season, 4-2 playoffs)
Purdy: 39-18 (34-15 regular season, 5-3 playoffs)

jimmy was good folks as you can see here

Yup crazy how hated in he is/was but that's 49ers fans for you. If it's not Joe or Steve they are ungrateful. Sadly, if Brock starts to struggle it'll be his turn.

To yesterdays game, I thought Brock missed a few throws he shouldn't have but I thought he played pretty damn well besides that. I'm perplexed why some are giving him a hard time. Denver is a good team with a great defense.

We have enough information on Jimmy now to understand what he was and what he was not. This is why I get triggered when people bring up Jimmy's play in trying to diminish Brock's.

Outside of playing under Kyle they are not the same. Jimmy had one elite trait - his quick release. Everything else was average. It doesn't mean he sucked but there was a clear ceiling in his play and the guy didn't understand his arm limitations. Brock knows his arm. He rarely turns the ball over because of his arm strength. He may miss a defender like any QB, he may sail a pass or he may put it into a tough spot. Every QB has those moments.

Jimmy however had way too many picks where he thought his arm was bigger than it was. Those were the most frustrating to me. I can understand just a guy not seeing a defender but when you're making the attempt and everyone but you knows you don't have the arm to fit it in there and it's picked off...that's highly frustrating.

As for Brock people are giving him a hard time because they're rooting for him to fail so they can say told you so. That's pretty much it. Every QB playing against a top level defense and missing key weapons isn't going to play their best. I find it funny how the majority of the "Brock played terrible in the first half" crowd want to call his first half performance terrible or abysmal(some adjectives I've seen thrown around) but the same guys saying that love them some Justin Herbert...who had a first half of 5/14 for 36 yards and 2 interceptions.

It's just crazy to me how Brock continues to have these insane expectations by people.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 34,555
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by Grande:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
I'm not sure those numbers are accurate. This is what pro-football reference shows (including playoffs):

Jimmy G: 42-19 (38-17 regular season, 4-2 playoffs)
Purdy: 39-18 (34-15 regular season, 5-3 playoffs)

jimmy was good folks as you can see here

Yup crazy how hated in he is/was but that's 49ers fans for you. If it's not Joe or Steve they are ungrateful. Sadly, if Brock starts to struggle it'll be his turn.

To yesterdays game, I thought Brock missed a few throws he shouldn't have but I thought he played pretty damn well besides that. I'm perplexed why some are giving him a hard time. Denver is a good team with a great defense.

We have enough information on Jimmy now to understand what he was and what he was not. This is why I get triggered when people bring up Jimmy's play in trying to diminish Brock's.

Outside of playing under Kyle they are not the same. Jimmy had one elite trait - his quick release. Everything else was average. It doesn't mean he sucked but there was a clear ceiling in his play and the guy didn't understand his arm limitations. Brock knows his arm. He rarely turns the ball over because of his arm strength. He may miss a defender like any QB, he may sail a pass or he may put it into a tough spot. Every QB has those moments.

Jimmy however had way too many picks where he thought his arm was bigger than it was. Those were the most frustrating to me. I can understand just a guy not seeing a defender but when you're making the attempt and everyone but you knows you don't have the arm to fit it in there and it's picked off...that's highly frustrating.

As for Brock people are giving him a hard time because they're rooting for him to fail so they can say told you so. That's pretty much it. Every QB playing against a top level defense and missing key weapons isn't going to play their best. I find it funny how the majority of the "Brock played terrible in the first half" crowd want to call his first half performance terrible or abysmal(some adjectives I've seen thrown around) but the same guys saying that love them some Justin Herbert...who had a first half of 5/14 for 36 yards and 2 interceptions.

It's just crazy to me how Brock continues to have these insane expectations by people.

Until Brock gets that 🏆 stupid people will continue to be stupid, unfortunately.
Hopefully Kyle doesn't call anymore of the draw plays up the middle for Purdy. Pucker factor was high when I saw that.
Originally posted by GunsUp240G:
Hopefully Kyle doesn't call anymore of the draw plays up the middle for Purdy. Pucker factor was high when I saw that.

That playcall was bad. Kyle acting like he has Josh Allen or what?
Originally posted by eric_anthony:
Originally posted by GunsUp240G:
Hopefully Kyle doesn't call anymore of the draw plays up the middle for Purdy. Pucker factor was high when I saw that.

That playcall was bad. Kyle acting like he has Josh Allen or what?

Think I had flashbacks to the Trey Lance injury.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
i think one miss in particular brock threw it one place and cowing was at another place, gonna say i trust brock here more than cowing this is why the young guys often don't see the field unless there is huge need if cowing is at the wrong spot you might have a ball going the other way no fault of brock

Cowing's route looked all sorts of f**ked up. Dude did a pirouette at the top of the route. I said in the game thread I'd he surprised if that was the intent. Looking forward to him not being on the field…
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Oct 5, 2026 at 12:54 PM ]
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
i think one miss in particular brock threw it one place and cowing was at another place, gonna say i trust brock here more than cowing this is why the young guys often don't see the field unless there is huge need if cowing is at the wrong spot you might have a ball going the other way no fault of brock

Cowing's route looked all sorts of f**ked up. Dude did a piroutte at the top of the route. I said in the game thread I'd he surprised if that was the intent. Looking forward to him not being on the field…
lol I missed that one

must be that new Shanny innovation coming
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
I'm not sure those numbers are accurate. This is what pro-football reference shows (including playoffs):

Jimmy G: 42-19 (38-17 regular season, 4-2 playoffs)
Purdy: 39-18 (34-15 regular season, 5-3 playoffs)

jimmy was good folks as you can see here

Lol
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,455
Anyone still comparing Purdy to Jimmy needs their head examined.
Idk I feel like we endured enough Jimmy G talk in the old qb threads. Good not great, the end! Free agent who felt better being a Ram. Glad he found himself and that we found Brock.
Originally posted by Montana:
Idk I feel like we endured enough Jimmy G talk in the old qb threads. Good not great, the end! Free agent who felt better being a Ram. Glad he found himself and that we found Brock.

Not even good, lol. Adequate at best with about as good support around him as any pro QB could expect.

I do appreciate him being a key part in the culture shift here along with Kyle and CO, and all the great players we added. It was needed excitement when the franchise had been a dumpster fire.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Cowing's route looked all sorts of f**ked up. Dude did a pirouette at the top of the route. I said in the game thread I'd he surprised if that was the intent. Looking forward to him not being on the field…

I am not so sure he ran the wrong route, or even poorly.

He may have ran the correct route, and Brock threw it away. the little awkward shuffle looked like he put his body in the defenders way to shield the catch.

It may have just been a well executed pre snap disguise by a very good defense.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by Montana:
Idk I feel like we endured enough Jimmy G talk in the old qb threads. Good not great, the end! Free agent who felt better being a Ram. Glad he found himself and that we found Brock.

Not even good, lol. Adequate at best with about as good support around him as any pro QB could expect.

I do appreciate him being a key part in the culture shift here along with Kyle and CO, and all the great players we added. It was needed excitement when the franchise had been a dumpster fire.

He did one thing great, which was throw to an open guy with a lightning quick release. Combined with good accuracy over the middle, it's no surprise why he put up some decent numbers. Kyle squeezed the most out of his talents, but this offense was clearly limited while Jimmy was at the helm.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone