49ers vs. Seahawks Tickets Available! →

There are 511 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

QB Brock Purdy Thread

  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 34,510
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I didn't see the game yesterday thanks to the NFL's rules but I saw the highlights and it looks like Brock had an amazing day. Accuracy was off the charts. It sucks that we had another injury to the WRs. Injuries always happen in football but when so many happen at one position it really hurts.

Injuries only hurt if you dont have a talented player behind the injured player. I'm hoping Watkins and Cowing are diamonds in the rough and we all just don't know it yet.
Originally posted by paulk205:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
I said it before: Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, and Lamar are imo fair to rank higher than Purdy. I would place Brock 5th right after them. And some would even argue Lamar is not as good either anymore. That's all in the weeds.

Give this guy time and he will make good plays. I hope we get WR back and healthy as the season goes on.

Mahomes certainly. Allen perhaps, very impressive. Jackson more questionable, he has had way too many collapses in too many games compared to Purdy. Burrow why? Fine athlete, sure, but why is he better? Forget "measurables" and hero-ball (incidentally one of Purdy's bad tendencies). What has he actually done that is so much more amazing? And I say this again - I like the guy actually.

It is debatable - my opinion is not written in stone and my earlier comment a few weeks back was Burrow has better arm talent and also reads a defense very well most of the time, so I think we agree.

It's not night and day either between them regardless. I'm just saying people putting those 4 higher is understandable to me. After that I get annoyed when they say Dak, Herbert, Love, Daniels, Williams etc are all better.

Originally posted by captveg:
Burrow and Purdy have actually had very similar careers, both in terms of stats and team success (both lost 1 SB). Look at Burrow's 2020-2023 and Purdy's 2022-2025. Burrow's TDs and yards are a bit higher, but otherwise very comparable.

Burrow 2020-2023

Total Games Played: 52 regular season games

Total Passing Yards: 14,083 yards
Total Touchdowns / Interceptions: 97 TD / 37 INT
Career Rushing (2020–2023): 139 carries, 605 yards, 10 rushing touchdowns

Purdy 2022-2025

Total Games Played: 49 regular season games

Total Passing Yards: 11,685 yards
Total Touchdowns / Interceptions: 84 TD / 37 INT
Career Rushing (2022–2025): 138 carries, 633 yards, 11 rushing touchdowns.

Agreed, see above. I would say a healthy Burrow is the better athlete, their ability otherwise/to read is similar, if not a nod to Purdy. We could also argue giving Purdy a guy like Chase would change things as well.(and they may argue giving Burrow Kyle would as well etc)

The point is he is in the conversation with consensus top QB's. I have felt that since like his 4th game starting. Give him time to scan the field and he will make things happen. I don't think many fans realize how good he is.
It was very much a Joe Montana-on-fire performance. Brock looked like a machine. It was fun to see the Brock-to-Juice recreation of Brock's first NFL TD.

Other notable first 49ers TD:
  • Joe Montana to Bob Bruer
  • Steve Young to Jerry Rice
  • Jeff Garcia to Charlie Garner
  • Alex Smith to Brandon Lloyd
  • Colin Kaepernick to Vernon Davis
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I didn't see the game yesterday thanks to the NFL's rules but I saw the highlights and it looks like Brock had an amazing day. Accuracy was off the charts. It sucks that we had another injury to the WRs. Injuries always happen in football but when so many happen at one position it really hurts.

Injuries only hurt if you dont have a talented player behind the injured player. I'm hoping Watkins and Cowing are diamonds in the rough and we all just don't know it yet.

Hope is fine but we haven't seen either of them provide a lot of help. Injuries and lack of experience. Cowing is small so he may struggle with injuries his entire career.
Lost in the talk surrounding Brock seems to be that the roster had something of a collapse in '24 and '25, made the playoffs the latter year.

It is only now that we have built some semblance of depth at multiple positions, even if that is not the case at all positions.

Now where we did have depth, we are being tested, the silver lining being that few of these are season ending injuries.

With a deeper WR group, we are seeing Brock look a lot like he did in '22 and '23, with the added development through the down years.
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
Lost in the talk surrounding Brock seems to be that the roster had something of a collapse in '24 and '25, made the playoffs the latter year.

It is only now that we have built some semblance of depth at multiple positions, even if that is not the case at all positions.

Now where we did have depth, we are being tested, the silver lining being that few of these are season ending injuries.

With a deeper WR group, we are seeing Brock look a lot like he did in '22 and '23, with the added development through the down years.

Think he was pushing too hard the last two years instead of taking what was there. Probably thought he had to be Superman every game to give us a shot to win because of all the injuries.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 34,510
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Hope is fine but we haven't seen either of them provide a lot of help. Injuries and lack of experience. Cowing is small so he may struggle with injuries his entire career.

Well its also important to find out if Cowing and Watkins are any good. Just like we found out Trey wasn't any good and moved on. Same with bad players, gotta move on if they can't contribute. Thats as important as finding good players, in my opinion.

It's much harder to move on with guys like Guerendo and Mike McGlinchey - who are on the borderline. Guys that are not too bad but also not very good either.
brock only played 9 games last year he looks in his best shape and is executing at a very high level just needs to stay 100 percent fit
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
He played amazing.

MVP level.

BUT...... and a huge BUT....

We need to see him do similar things vs SEA or it doesnt mean anything.

SEA is our krypronite right now and Mcdonald owns Kyle and Brock.

If we lose to SEA like 27-24 in a few weeks I'd feel far more optimistic than if we won 13-10.

Brock needs to show he can put up points and TDs vs the team directly in our way and this iteration of SEA's dominant defense that held us to 9 points and zero TDs in our two biggest games of the season.

Thus my enthusiasm for this MVP performance today is largely tempered.

Brock has already shown he can beat Seattle and has done it several times. The two games against them at the end of last year were more a product of all of the injuries we had as anything else. We're only in the second week of the season and already several of our top receivers are either dealing with long term injuries or out for the year. Hopefully, Stribling and Robinson will be back in time for the stretch run.

Another factor they have to contend with is all the injuries along the D-line and what Fred Warner said today was the D's need to improve their familiarity with Morris' system. So, it's not all on Brock. Seattle's defense is no joke, but if McCaffrey, Black, Kittle, Bosa and Warner all remain healthy and we're not asked to field a team with Watkins and Cowing as our two primary receivers, I think we are perfectly capable of beating them. But I suspect that even if we do, you'll find another bar to set that Brock has to meet before you're satisfied. At some point you'll have to come to grips with the fact that Brock is the QB of this team and that Trey Lance is never coming back.

This isn't about Brock not being a top-tier QB. He is. There are only a few names I'd rather have at QB for my team.

This is about McDonald's defense up there in SEA that owns Kyle and Brock thus far and that goes back to his time as DC of the Ravens.

We got destroyed each time we played his defense and our best effort was the one where we put up an amazing 17 points.

So my fear is not that Brock isn't good enough. I fear SEA's elite defense is a level above and just matches up too good against us and I'd still fear them even if Josh Allen was our QB if almost all the games he played against them were horrendous offensive performances.
[ Edited by Ezekiel38 on Sep 21, 2026 at 9:52 AM ]
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
He played amazing.

MVP level.

BUT...... and a huge BUT....

We need to see him do similar things vs SEA or it doesnt mean anything.

SEA is our krypronite right now and Mcdonald owns Kyle and Brock.

If we lose to SEA like 27-24 in a few weeks I'd feel far more optimistic than if we won 13-10.

Brock needs to show he can put up points and TDs vs the team directly in our way and this iteration of SEA's dominant defense that held us to 9 points and zero TDs in our two biggest games of the season.

Thus my enthusiasm for this MVP performance today is largely tempered.

Brock has already shown he can beat Seattle and has done it several times. The two games against them at the end of last year were more a product of all of the injuries we had as anything else. We're only in the second week of the season and already several of our top receivers are either dealing with long term injuries or out for the year. Hopefully, Stribling and Robinson will be back in time for the stretch run.

Another factor they have to contend with is all the injuries along the D-line and what Fred Warner said today was the D's need to improve their familiarity with Morris' system. So, it's not all on Brock. Seattle's defense is no joke, but if McCaffrey, Black, Kittle, Bosa and Warner all remain healthy and we're not asked to field a team with Watkins and Cowing as our two primary receivers, I think we are perfectly capable of beating them. But I suspect that even if we do, you'll find another bar to set that Brock has to meet before you're satisfied. At some point you'll have to come to grips with the fact that Brock is the QB of this team and that Trey Lance is never coming back.

This isn't about Brock not being a top-tier QB. He is. There are only a few names I'd rather have at QB for my team.

This is about McDonald's defense up there in SEA that owns Kyle and Brock thus far and that goes back to his time as DC of the Ravens.

We got destroyed each time we played his defense and our best effort was the one where we put up an amazing 17 points.

So my fear is not that Brock isn't good enough. I fear SEA's elite defense is a level above and just matches up too good against us and I'd still fear them even if Josh Allen was our QB if almost all the games he played against them were horrendous offensive performances.

Meh, last two games they were playing a severely injury riddled Niners. We beat them when we were healthy.
Originally posted by paulk205:
I love Purdy, incidentally. Nor do I hate on Herbert, or whoever. Good guys all. My problem is with the Steven Ruizes of this world. The "Oh, my lord, a 6'6' Football Robot (TM). I'm hyperventilating. What a man!" crowd.

EDIT: Although the footage during the broadcast of Purdy next to Marino was hilarious. OK, Marino has put on some bulk in middle age, but it was like seeing a dad next to his 12 year old son.

My wife was like "That's not Dan Marino!" lol. I'm like...sure is. She's like "that's not what I remember him looking like from Ace Ventura"

Yeah 30 years even to an NFL QB will hit hard.

But one of my favorite things about when Brock puts up a monster game like that is seeing his big haters turn blinders on. No mention of his highs but boy are they quick to jump whenever he makes a mistake. It's pathetic IMO, especially when it's that clear. Grant's failed protégé Jessie does the same crap. Not a single tweet about Brock yesterday but boy does he jump on there real quick if Brock throws a bad pick.
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
Well that is not encouraging since we cannot stop the run to save our lives.

We are just pretenders if we can not put up at least 20 points on SEA.

We really do need to make a huge mid-season trade for a top shelf run-stuffing DT or at minimum trade to get Buckner back.

Rams (2X), titans, AZ, Bucs all put 20 + up vs Seattle last yr.

Why can't they put points up?

I love Buck, but he's 32 and he was never an elite end run stuffer. He was an elite level pass rusher and I think we got a couple of those. Once we get back M Williams we will have 3+ good interior rushers. We could use a 2 down space eater, doesn't have to be some elite level guy. They do need another edge rusher and another WR.
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
This isn't about Brock not being a top-tier QB. He is. There are only a few names I'd rather have at QB for my team.

This is about McDonald's defense up there in SEA that owns Kyle and Brock thus far and that goes back to his time as DC of the Ravens.

We got destroyed each time we played his defense and our best effort was the one where we put up an amazing 17 points.

So my fear is not that Brock isn't good enough. I fear SEA's elite defense is a level above and just matches up too good against us and I'd still fear them even if Josh Allen was our QB if almost all the games he played against them were horrendous offensive performances.

We legit beat them last yr lol. The next two games we played we had nothing on offense s**t was a JV squad. They're 2-4 vs a McDonald defense and we had them beat on offense WK11 24, but s**t head nick sorensen let Geno Smith roll downfield and watch Smith run for like 40 yards to win it last sec.
  • Cosmo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,412
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by paulk205:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
I said it before: Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, and Lamar are imo fair to rank higher than Purdy. I would place Brock 5th right after them. And some would even argue Lamar is not as good either anymore. That's all in the weeds.

Give this guy time and he will make good plays. I hope we get WR back and healthy as the season goes on.

Mahomes certainly. Allen perhaps, very impressive. Jackson more questionable, he has had way too many collapses in too many games compared to Purdy. Burrow why? Fine athlete, sure, but why is he better? Forget "measurables" and hero-ball (incidentally one of Purdy's bad tendencies). What has he actually done that is so much more amazing? And I say this again - I like the guy actually.

It is debatable - my opinion is not written in stone and my earlier comment a few weeks back was Burrow has better arm talent and also reads a defense very well most of the time, so I think we agree.

It's not night and day either between them regardless. I'm just saying people putting those 4 higher is understandable to me. After that I get annoyed when they say Dak, Herbert, Love, Daniels, Williams etc are all better.

Originally posted by captveg:
Burrow and Purdy have actually had very similar careers, both in terms of stats and team success (both lost 1 SB). Look at Burrow's 2020-2023 and Purdy's 2022-2025. Burrow's TDs and yards are a bit higher, but otherwise very comparable.

Burrow 2020-2023

Total Games Played: 52 regular season games

Total Passing Yards: 14,083 yards
Total Touchdowns / Interceptions: 97 TD / 37 INT
Career Rushing (2020–2023): 139 carries, 605 yards, 10 rushing touchdowns

Purdy 2022-2025

Total Games Played: 49 regular season games

Total Passing Yards: 11,685 yards
Total Touchdowns / Interceptions: 84 TD / 37 INT
Career Rushing (2022–2025): 138 carries, 633 yards, 11 rushing touchdowns.

Agreed, see above. I would say a healthy Burrow is the better athlete, their ability otherwise/to read is similar, if not a nod to Purdy. We could also argue giving Purdy a guy like Chase would change things as well.(and they may argue giving Burrow Kyle would as well etc)

The point is he is in the conversation with consensus top QB's. I have felt that since like his 4th game starting. Give him time to scan the field and he will make things happen. I don't think many fans realize how good he is.

Gonna go out on a limb and say that Burrow has had a MUCH better receiving corps than Purdy, and Purdy has been better at making his receivers look better.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone