2022 Team Information (Needs)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
John Chapman had a great idea for assessing the roster after the draft. He ranks the top starting positions and its depth.

Do you guys agree?

[1 is the best, 11, worst]

Starting Rank | Position | (Depth Rank):
1 LB (7)
2 ER (2)
3 TE (6)
4 WR (10)
5 CB (3)
6 DT (5)
7 QB (1)
8 T (11)
9 S (9)
10 RB (8)
11 IOL (4)
i wouldn't agree.. haven't seem them play yet

He's talking just talent regarding team needs. Yes, a talented player could play like ass so we don't know officially yet.
i know a lot of people don't have patience and feel the need to make these super early rankings... but who knows this early.. #11 could be our #1 by the end of the season

Totally understand.

Mine would be a tad different; based on question marks. That doesn't mean they couldn't ascend once playing though and others rated higher, couldn't regress.

1 ER (1)
2 LB (7)
3 WR (5)
4 RB (2)
5 TE (6)
6 CB (3)
7 DT (8)
8 T (10)
9 QB (11)
10 S (9)
11 IOL (4)

For me, I'm too lazy to do this stuff. I'd rather have the *hall of fame* experts do my work for me, and will wait till I actually see them in pre-season to even attempt stuff this complicated.

Hahaha!!!!
This.

LT: Trent Williams
LG: Aaron Banks; Nick Zakelj
C: Alex Mack; Jake Brendel & Dohnovan West
RG: Spencer Burford; Jaylon Moore
RT: Mike McGlinchey; Daniel Brunskill

In an ideal world, it works out where we only have two new G's who come in and get better and better and play close to Tomlinson's level by the end of the year, Brunskill becomes the full time swing T, McGlinchey not only regains form but plays better because he's no longer playing injured and Mack plays at a similar level with insurance in Brendel and West or Poe learn from Mack all year and next year, this line may only have one hole (RT) and a ton of interior youth with upside.

Like you said, is that likely? Not really but it's certainly possible!

I really like this idea and I really really like moving Brunskill outside. I think this would be there best line up. I hope they do something like this but I fear they will keep him a right guard and have Colton McKivitz or Justin Skule at tackle. I do not think they will keep 10 I think 9 will be pushing it. I think Dohnovan West can make it to the practice squad and if he can not make it because he plays to well that is easy keep him and practice Squad Jake Brendel.
Originally posted by dlance:
This.

In an ideal world, it works out where we only have two new G's who come in and get better and better and play close to Tomlinson's level by the end of the year, Brunskill becomes the full time swing T, McGlinchey not only regains form but plays better because he's no longer playing injured and Mack plays at a similar level with insurance in Brendel and West or Poe learn from Mack all year and next year, this line may only have one hole (RT) and a ton of interior youth with upside.

I really like this idea and I really really like moving Brunskill outside. I think this would be there best line up. I hope they do something like this but I fear they will keep him a right guard and have Colton McKivitz or Justin Skule at tackle. I do not think they will keep 10 I think 9 will be pushing it. I think Dohnovan West can make it to the practice squad and if he can not make it because he plays to well that is easy keep him and practice Squad Jake Brendel.

Yeah, it's highly unlikely we keep 10 but if Mack retires that does open up a spot for a guy like Nick Zakelj, Poe or McKivitz.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
This.

Yeah, it's highly unlikely we keep 10 but if Mack retires that does open up a spot for a guy like Nick Zakelj, Poe or McKivitz.

I like the starting players you chose for the OLine. It may very well be this way at the start of the season.

Some underdog OLine players I'm rooting for: Jason Poe (love his athleticism and versatility); Nick Zakelj (love his intelligence, and he's a 6th round talent on top of that, and possibly another day 3 gem).

Players I want to see in pre-season: Donavan West and Jake Brendel (I really want to see what we have as depth should Alex Mack retire or get injured during the Season); Aaron Banks, Jalon Moore and Spencer Burford (I think these three have the best chance to win a starting job this season), Mike McGlinchey (I want to see how far his rehab has gone. I don't expect him to be 100% though); Colton McKivitz and Justin Skule (I think these can possibly be trade bait if they don't win a starting job).
This.

I like the starting players you chose for the OLine. It may very well be this way at the start of the season.

Some underdog OLine players I'm rooting for: Jason Poe (love his athleticism and versatility); Nick Zakelj (love his intelligence, and he's a 6th round talent on top of that, and possibly another day 3 gem).

Players I want to see in pre-season: Donavan West and Jake Brendel (I really want to see what we have as depth should Alex Mack retire or get injured during the Season); Aaron Banks, Jalon Moore and Spencer Burford (I think these three have the best chance to win a starting job this season), Mike McGlinchey (I want to see how far his rehab has gone. I don't expect him to be 100% though); Colton McKivitz and Justin Skule (I think these can possibly be trade bait if they don't win a starting job).

Same. I want to see a fierce competition at LG/C/RG/RT and Swing-T no matter what. Let the cream rise to the top. And let's hope the talent Trey needs is there. And that it gels quickly for him and they grow together quickly.
This.

Well, altho it is unlikely, it IS being discussed and who knows…maybe the OL will finally get the depth needed in case of injury, which happens on both DL AND OL . We keep 10-11 DLs? We should be giving OLs the same kind of backup support. And not just Walmart parking lot guys but guys we got thru trades , FA , draft and UDFA.

As much as an inside or Outstide DL injury hurts the D…well same applies to an OL loss hurts the O. So discussing a possible 10 OLs, is just music to my ears. The amount of talent we have on the team at present at OL is really encouraging. I just hope that 11 or 12 of those guys are really talented OLs as seen by F.O, and that we end up keeping 10. Hey, reduce # of DLs, WRs, RBs …or whatever , but have enough really talented OLs on team so that when we do lose an OL to injury we have real talent on the bench.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Oh nice! I gotta let AB know.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Nice, I'm hoping Brock Purdy can make the practice squad and be elevated perhaps later in the season as the 49ers (I hope) wind up with a high seed position in the NFL playoffs. Other practice squad players I'd love to see in a regular season NFL game - Jason Poe as center and fullback. Also, I'd love to see Alfredo Gutierez at least get one regular season snap before his foreign tenure as a player ends.

Nice, I'm hoping Brock Purdy can make the practice squad and be elevated perhaps later in the season as the 49ers (I hope) wind up with a high seed position in the NFL playoffs. Other practice squad players I'd love to see in a regular season NFL game - Jason Poe as center and fullback. Also, I'd love to see Alfredo Gutierez at least get one regular season snap before his foreign tenure as a player ends.

Lol, I think Purdy makes it through waivers, I have West & O'Neal making my most latest projections, https://49erscap.com/index.php/2022/05/25/my-latest-2022-projected-49ers-rosters-1-with-alex-mack-1-without-alex-mack-plus-cap-ramifications/

The rules are what the COVID rules were, they adopted them, but you can now only bring back 8 players from IR between regular 53-man, & PS-IR, also NFI/PUP is now 4 games not 6 anymore, makes it more of a good reason to stash Davis & Verrett on them.

Teams needs coming into the off season:

2022 Team Needs:
CB - Acquired Charvarius Ward in FA, resigned Darqueze Dennard and Jason Verrett and drafted Samuel Womack and Tariq Castro-Fields
ER (Speed) - Acquired Kemoko Turay and Kerry Hyder in FA, resigned Jordan Willis and drafted Drake Jackson
IOL (C & G) - Lost Laken Tomlinson and Alex Mack. Acquired or resigned nobody. Drafted Nick Zakelj, Dohnovan West and Jason Poe
RT - Drafted Spencer Burford
SS - Nothing
XWR (Speed)/SWR - Acquired Ray-Ray McCloud in FA, resigned KeeSean Johnson and Malik Turner and drafted Danny Gray and Malik Turner
QB2 - Resigned Nate Sudfeld and drafted Brock Purdy
T (Future) - Drafted Spencer Burford
TE2 - Resigned Jordan Matthews
ST (Returner) - Acquired Ray-Ray McCloud

Safe to say, our two biggest question marks are IOL and S and if Kittle goes down. Obviously if QB1 goes down, it's game over for anybody.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 12, 2022 at 5:19 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

2022 Team Needs:
CB - Acquired Charvarius Ward in FA, resigned Darqueze Dennard and Jason Verrett and drafted Samuel Womack and Tariq Castro-Fields
ER (Speed) - Acquired Kemoko Turay and Kerry Hyder in FA, resigned Jordan Willis and drafted Drake Jackson
IOL (C & G) - Lost Laken Tomlinson and Alex Mack. Acquired or resigned nobody. Drafted Nick Zakelj, Dohnovan West and Jason Poe
SS - Nothing
XWR (Speed)/SWR - Acquired Ray-Ray McCloud in FA, resigned KeeSean Johnson and Malik Turner and drafted Danny Gray and Malik Turner

Safe to say, our two biggest question marks are IOL and S and if Kittle goes down. Obviously if QB1 goes down, it's game over for anybody.

From an injury standpoint, I am glad Alex Mack retired. He's another Weston Richburg waiting to happen at the worst possible time - the playoffs. Trent Williams is the oldest player not named Gould on the team. I'm eyeing him for a possible (knock on wood) injury filled season. It already started last year in the playoffs with those high ankle sprains. I'm glad Burford and McKivitz are on the team just in case. I'm actually going to predict an OLineman high in the draft in 2023 because of Trent William's age - I'm thinking possibly ShanaLynch using a 2nd rounder or a 3rd rounder in next years draft. As you mentioned in the injury thread - Brunskill, I think - has a degenerative tendinitis knee situation. Robbie Gould is the oldest player on the team at 39, and he's had a recent flurry of injuries too - he's another guy I'm predicting will have an injury filled season. We shall see.

2022 Team Needs:
SS - Nothing

From an injury standpoint, I am glad Alex Mack retired. He's another Weston Richburg waiting to happen at the worst possible time - the playoffs. Trent Williams is the oldest player not named Gould on the team. I'm eyeing him for a possible (knock on wood) injury filled season. It already started last year in the playoffs with those high ankle sprains. I'm glad Burford and McKivitz are on the team just in case. I'm actually going to predict an OLineman high in the draft in 2023 because of Trent William's age - I'm thinking possibly ShanaLynch using a 2nd rounder or a 3rd rounder in next years draft. As you mentioned in the injury thread - Brunskill, I think - has a degenerative tendinitis knee situation. Robbie Gould is the oldest player on the team at 39, and he's had a recent flurry of injuries too - he's another guy I'm predicting will have an injury filled season. We shall see.

To your points about injuries to the older players, do you think we have viable backup options then?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

2022 Team Needs:
SS - Nothing

To your points about injuries to the older players, do you think we have viable backup options then?

You never have enough viable options. That's the NFL and that's the Cap. What I will say is that the special teams coach probably hasn't had too much input in replacing Gould, and I think that is going to bite this team in the butt this year. I see Gould and Trent are the next guys to possibly retire sooner rather than later. Hopefully, we'll have somebody lined up to be drafted as a new kicker next year. In terms of age, Verett, Juszczyk, and Hyder are the next oldest at 31, which isn't really old. This feels like a young team. I was just revisiting Trey's arm strength and was re-watching that Lazer TD to Deebo in the Houston Game. That pass looked like a John Elway pass.

2022 Team Needs:
SS - Nothing

Sounds like Maiocco and JLC were roaming around the WZ.

On their podcast today, here were their top needs/concerns:
IOL (Both) / Both think MM is fine though
ST (JLC)
Kinlaw - Run defense (MM)
Safety (MM)
Trey (Both)
Share 49ersWebzone