There are 195 users in the forums

2022 Team Information (Needs)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by NCommand:
NC's Free Agent Targets/Plan:

--- Fluid Edits ---

Team Needs: CB, ER (Speed), IOL (C & G), RT, SS, XWR (Speed), QB2, T (Future), TE2, SWR, ST (Returner)
FA Position Targets: CB, ER (Speed), IOL (G), RT, QB2, ST (Returner)
Draft Position Targets: CB, ER (Speed), IOL (C), SS, XWR (Speed), T (Future), TE2, SWR, ST (Returner)

Unrestricted FAs:
LG Laken Tomlinson - Let him test the saturated G market (Goal: $9M APY)
1T D.J. Jones - Let him test the saturated DT market (Goal: $5M APY)
3T Arden Key - Let him test the saturated ER market (Goal: $3M APY)
RB Raheem Mostert - 2-year, $4M
RB Jeff Wilson - 1-year, $1.5M
CB Jason Verrett - 1-year, $3M
ER/ST Jordan Willis - 1-year, $1.5M
SWR Trent Sherfield - 1-year, $1M
SAM Marcell Harris - 1-year, $1M
SCB K'Waun Williams - Walk
SS Jaquiski Tartt - Walk
G/T Tom Compton - Walk
TE Ross Dwelley - Walk
CB Dontae Johnson - Walk
SWR Mohamed Sanu - Walk
SWR/KR Trenton Cannon - Walk
SS Tavon Wilson - Walk
SWR Travis Benjamin - Walk
3T Darrion Daniels - Walk
S Jarrod Wilson - Walk
CB Josh Norman - GTFO!

Restricted FA's:
G/T Daniel Brunskill - Original Tender
SAM Azeez Al-Shaair - Original Tender
3T Kentavius Street - Walk

Outside FA Targets:

Cornerbacks: Outside/Slot
D.J. Reed (Outside/Slot/Free Safety CB + Punt Returner) - 78.6 PFF - Only J.C. Jackson had a higher grade and this guy can do far more. Time to come home!
Carlton Davis (Outside/Slot CB) - 67 PFF - Versatile CB that we could use to go up against an NFCW that loves to pass and is loaded with receiving weapons.
Casey Hayward (Outside CB) - 76 PFF - Still played 94% at a high level. Could be the veteran in the room while performing at a high level.
Rasul Douglas (Slot CB) - 74.8 PFF - Slot CB is an area that cost us and we have 3 quality ones to choose from playing 57% to 67% of the snaps.
Sidney Jones (Slot CB) - 70.2 PFF - Steal from Seattle.
Charvarius Ward (Slot CB) - 65.7 PFF - All three slot CB's are 26-28 years old.

Edge Rusher:
Chandler Jones - 70.4 PFF - Priority FA signing that lessens the load on the CB FA market.
Melvin Ingram - 79.7 PFF - 50% pass rusher that would love the W9 in our rotation. Arden Key and Jordan Willis only played 34% and 14%, respectively.
Ogbonnia Okoronkwo - 79.2 PFF - Remember OO? He's 27 but only played 22% of the snaps. Might be a flyer-rotation player coming into his own.
Justin Houston - 77.9 PFF - 50% pass rusher that would love the W9 in our rotation.
Emmanuel Ogbah - 77 PFF - 2-down edge-setter/ER.
Tyquan Lewis - 71.3 PFF - 1-down edge-setter/ER.
Marquis Haynes - 71.3 PFF - 1-down edge-setter/ER.
Jerry Hughes - 71.1 PFF - 50% pass rusher that would love the W9 in our rotation.

Offensive Line:
Connor Williams (LG) - 76.1 PFF - Young stud you lock up for 4-5 years
Laken Tomlinson (LG) - 75.9 PFF
Alex Cappa (RG) - 74.2 PFF - Young stud you lock up for 4-5 years
Brandon Scherff (RG) - 73.6 PFF - Older veteran you can use for a year or two still performing at a high level
Quinton Spain (LG) - 72.3 PFF - Older veteran you can use for a year or two still performing at a high level
James Daniels (RG) - 71 PFF - Young stud you lock up for 4-5 years
Mark Glowinski (RG) - 70.1 PFF - Older veteran you can use for a year or two still performing at a high level
Mike Remmers (RT) - 64.5 PFF - All three of these RT's are nice scheme fits but only played 13%, 26% & 74%, respectively.
Cameron Fleming (RT) - 71.7 PFF - More security for Mike McGlinchey and the youngest of the bunch at 30
Bobby Massie (RT) - 70 PFF - More security for Mike McGlinchey

QB2:
Tyrod Taylor - Connection with Anthony Lynn
Mitch Trubisky - Mobility to mold
Marcus Mariota - Mobility to mold

Specialty:
Cordarrelle Patterson (WR/RB/ST) - 82.8 PFF - Deebo gets nicked up. Let's not lose that skill set if he goes down again.

Rationale:
This team excels at developing the DL and LB's. The WR's and TE's have developed very nicely too. The areas where this team struggles developing is CB, OL and ER's are usually hard to find (or take longer to develop in the W9). Therefore, buy what you can't develop and/or need immediately!

IMHO, you let Laken Tomlinson, D.J. Jones and Arden Key all go test the market and let them come back to us with their best deal. Note the quality bucket of G's and RT's where you can get an older veteran for a year or two for security for Mike McGlinchey and let a young player develop for one more year (Jaylon Moore) who can take over after Mike/veteran leaves next year. The same applies to both G positions where you can lock up a couple young quality players for a long time and/or buy some cheaper quality veteran security to push a player like Aaron Banks and give you more flexibility with Brunskill as the swing-OL. DL is always oversaturated in FA now and like last year, you can always grab players like Willis/Key late. The ER bucket is actually really nice this year but IMHO, you go all-in on Chandler Jones here as your marquee FA. If not, there are a number of older ER players that are still producing at a high level and can be part of a rush dime package to keep fresh for 50% of the snaps, at most.

Trends: DT, S, LB, TE2, SWR and ST (Returner) always seems to be available late either b/c of cap cost and/or saturated markets. These are the positions you target well after the free agency esp. cuts as they don't count against the comp formula.

Free agency should be about setting up the draft to go BPA to stack young talent at the most critical positions. CB, ER (Speed), IOL (C), SS, XWR (Speed), T (Future), TE2, SWR, ST (Returner).

I agree with letting Laken, DJ & Key test the FA waters, I would love all 3 back, but Kocurek can get a lot out of cheap players, either young(Key) or vets(Hyder), I'm not sure who takes Laken's spot, if he leaves, I try and sign James Daniels or Alex Cappa, move Banks to LG, then go after a CB for sure, if/when they lose out of JC Jackson, cause an $18M a yr CB is ridiculous, no CB is worth that, not even Ramsey's $20M who gets beat also, someone like a Charvarius Ward, Levi Wallace, D.J. Reed, Donte Jackson, a young CB you sign for 5yrs, same with Daniels/Cappa. They need to address the OL, either G or RT, I don't trust either Compton or McGlinchey, I like both, I like Compton as a depthb piece, other than that, I'd rather take a IOL(Alec Lindstrom) in the draft, I'd take him if he's there with pick 102.

As for the draft, I'd go EDGE, Speedy WR, CB, IOL as biggest needs, then LB depth behind Warner, Dre, & Al-Shaair, a FS/SS to groom behind Ward, we'll see what Moore can do coming back, also would love to add IDL help in the draft, especially if DJ walks, & Key too, who did a good job playing DT on pass rush downs, we were very effective with both Bosa-AA-Jones-Ebukam, & Bosa-AA-Key-Ebukam, I'm sure I butchered the order lol. But overall I agree, I'd love to bring in a Dante Fowler if we lose Key.

I'd also love Patterson, I'd give him a 3yr deal worth $18M($6M a yr) or Ray-Ray McCloud on a 3-4 yr deal worth $5M a yr, but I prefer Patterson.

got Ward how do you feel about the contract details?
Originally posted by Sanfran_chrisco:

I feel perfectly fine with it. Paraag and the FO always target players they can win with in GTD $ and where they can add in rip cords. Ward will probably end up the lowest on GTD $ of the top bucket of CB's with plenty of outs built in. The $14M APY is just fluff. That 3rd year might be fluff too.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 16, 2022 at 7:02 AM ]
General team construction commentary:

Observations:
  • Conscious decision to allow Tomlinson and Jones walk in FA, while not cutting Jimmy G.
  • Restructured contracts allow for some FA buying power, but obviously a lot more would be available by jettisoning Jimmy.
  • Big money expenditure for good corner with good coverage ability but not great ball skills.
  • Dedicated money to ST contributor.

Insinuated Rationale:
  • Aaron Banks and Javon Kinlaw will be the assumed replacements for the two big-time FA losses. I would expect both positions to be addressed in the draft, G/C early.
  • The 49ers view Jimmy as an asset and are loathed to cut him outright. They'd rather lose FA buying power in order to maximize trade value. This line of thinking is boom/bust. They may end up getting a team to panic and send them a haul. They also could be stuck holding the bag and not using the money on a top line DE to pair with Bosa. The next deadline is obviously the draft. A top line FA signing would have more impact than a draft pick. This also insinuates that the 49ers are not going "all in" on this season, like the Chargers or Broncos or Rams etc. are doing. Keeping Jimmy into the offseason program (OTAs, TC, preseason) will create a toxic QB environment with heavy media scrutiny. Ultimately, that's an incredibly high price to pay for "competition in the QB room".
  • I like the signing of Ward the more I learn about it, but there's no denying he's not a ball hawk (4 INTs in 4 years). We now have good outside CB depth with Ward, Moseley, and Thomas. But we don't have a turnover machine. We sort of had that with John Norman (FFs), but he was so awful at everything else it didn't matter. We still need something alongside Lenoir at slot. I think Moseley may rotate there, and in that case, we need another versatile CB to be both backups... paging Dontae Johnson, your annual 49er contract is waiting... I expect either/both a high draft pick SS or CB/slot.
  • I don't know much of anything about Burks (LB), but it's telling that the organization prioritized signing him during the legal tampering time. They could have easily pushed ST signings into FA. I like that approach and the signal it sends that our ST was not acceptable last year.

NinerBuff's Thoughts on "What's Missing?":
  • Our #1 need is a pass rusher who can consistently beat one-on-ones, and ideally a speed rusher (what we wanted Dee Ford to be). This is the only position remaining that could justify top dollar expenditure. A legit 10-sack guy on the other side of Bosa is the single most impactful move we can make in the offseason. Ebukam and Key are both good, Ebukam is making very good money and Key is a FA. Neither of them in my mind are good enough to strike fear into opposing offenses about WTF are we going to do in protection?!
  • If Banks is penciled in as LG, then we need a RG, backup C (eventual Mack replacement), and swing T / utility O-linemen. I expect a cheap FA here, one of their high draft picks, and one of their later picks to be used.
  • SS - unless we get Tartt back for a cheap deal (which remains a possibility), then we'll use a high draft pick for an envisioned starter here. May be the first pick me make.
  • 4/5/6 WR. Specific needs: speed, good return ability. I expect one cheap FA, multiple draft picks (could be high pick if player is available, it fits Shanahan's style).
  • Better competition at QB (assuming Jimmy is off the team going into offseason program), Sudfeld may be a future Shanahan coaching tree guy, but he's not good enough to win a random game in November if/when Trey gets banged up.

I feel perfectly fine with it. Paraag and the FO always target players they can win with in GTD $ and where they can add in rip cords. Ward will probably end up the lowest on GTD $ of the top bucket of CB's with plenty of outs built in. The $14M APY is just fluff. That 3rd year might be fluff too.

i wasn't asking you
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
NC's Free Agent Targets/Plan:

--- Fluid Edits ---

Team Needs: CB, ER (Speed), IOL (C & G), RT, SS, XWR (Speed), QB2, T (Future), TE2, SWR, ST (Returner)
FA Position Targets: CB, ER (Speed), IOL (G), RT, QB2, ST (Returner)
Draft Position Targets: CB, ER (Speed), IOL (C), SS, XWR (Speed), T (Future), TE2, SWR, ST (Returner)

Unrestricted FAs:
LG Laken Tomlinson - Let him test the saturated G market (Goal: $9M APY) (Jets)
1T D.J. Jones - Let him test the saturated DT market (Goal: $5M APY) (Broncos)
3T Arden Key - Let him test the saturated ER market (Goal: $3M APY)
RB Raheem Mostert - 2-year, $4M
RB Jeff Wilson - 1-year, $1.5M
CB Jason Verrett - 1-year, $3M
ER/ST Jordan Willis - 1-year, $1.5M
SWR Trent Sherfield - 1-year, $1M
SAM Marcell Harris - 1-year, $1M
SCB K'Waun Williams - Walk
SS Jaquiski Tartt - Walk
G/T Tom Compton - Walk
TE Ross Dwelley - Walk
CB Dontae Johnson - Walk
SWR Mohamed Sanu - Walk
SWR/KR Trenton Cannon - Walk
SS Tavon Wilson - Walk
SWR Travis Benjamin - Walk
3T Darrion Daniels - Walk
S Jarrod Wilson - Walk
CB Josh Norman - GTFO!

Restricted FA's:
G/T Daniel Brunskill - ROFR
SAM Azeez Al-Shaair - ROFR (2nd RT)
3T Kentavius Street - Walk

Outside FA Targets:

Cornerbacks: Outside/Slot
D.J. Reed (Outside/Slot/Free Safety CB + Punt Returner) - 78.6 PFF - Only J.C. Jackson had a higher grade and this guy can do far more. Time to come home! (Jets)
Carlton Davis (Outside/Slot CB) - 67 PFF - Versatile CB that we could use to go up against an NFCW that loves to pass and is loaded with receiving weapons. (Bucs)
Casey Hayward (Outside CB) - 76 PFF - Still played 94% at a high level. Could be the veteran in the room while performing at a high level.
Charvarius Ward (Outside/Slot CB) - 65.7 PFF - All three slot CB's are 26-28 years old.
Rasul Douglas (Slot CB) - 74.8 PFF - Slot CB is an area that cost us and we have 3 quality ones to choose from playing 57% to 67% of the snaps.
Sidney Jones (Slot CB) - 70.2 PFF - Steal from Seattle. (Seahawks)

Edge Rusher:
Chandler Jones - 70.4 PFF - Priority FA signing that lessens the load on the CB FA market.
Melvin Ingram - 79.7 PFF - 50% pass rusher that would love the W9 in our rotation. Arden Key and Jordan Willis only played 34% and 14%, respectively.
Ogbonnia Okoronkwo - 79.2 PFF - Remember OO? He's 27 but only played 22% of the snaps. Might be a flyer-rotation player coming into his own. (Texans)
Justin Houston - 77.9 PFF - 50% pass rusher that would love the W9 in our rotation.
Tyquan Lewis - 71.3 PFF - 1-down edge-setter/ER. (Colts)
Marquis Haynes - 71.3 PFF - 1-down edge-setter/ER. (Panthers)
Jerry Hughes - 71.1 PFF - 50% pass rusher that would love the W9 in our rotation.
Za'Darius Smith - Now healthy and expected to be released.

Offensive Line:
Connor Williams (LG) - 76.1 PFF - Young stud you lock up for 4-5 years (Dolphins)
Laken Tomlinson (LG) - 75.9 PFF (Jets)
Alex Cappa (RG) - 74.2 PFF - Young stud you lock up for 4-5 years (Bengals)
Brandon Scherff (RG) - 73.6 PFF - Older veteran you can use for a year or two still performing at a high level (Jaguars)
Quinton Spain (LG) - 72.3 PFF - Older veteran you can use for a year or two still performing at a high level
James Daniels (RG) - 71 PFF - Young stud you lock up for 4-5 years (Steelers)
Mark Glowinski (RG) - 70.1 PFF - Older veteran you can use for a year or two still performing at a high level (Giants)
Mike Remmers (RT) - 64.5 PFF - All three of these RT's are nice scheme fits but only played 13%, 26% & 74%, respectively.
Cameron Fleming (RT) - 71.7 PFF - More security for Mike McGlinchey and the youngest of the bunch at 30
Bobby Massie (RT) - 70 PFF - More security for Mike McGlinchey

QB2:
Tyrod Taylor - Connection with Anthony Lynn (Giants)
Mitch Trubisky - Mobility to mold (Steelers)
Marcus Mariota - Mobility to mold

Specialty:
Cordarrelle Patterson (WR/RB/ST) - 82.8 PFF - Deebo gets nicked up. Let's not lose that skill set if he goes down again. Others include: Jakeem Grant, Ray-Ray McCloud & Kalif Raymond

Rationale:
This team excels at developing the DL and LB's. The WR's and TE's have developed very nicely too. The areas where this team struggles developing is CB, OL and ER's are usually hard to find (or take longer to develop in the W9). Therefore, buy what you can't develop and/or need immediately!

IMHO, you let Laken Tomlinson, D.J. Jones and Arden Key all go test the market and let them come back to us with their best deal. Note the quality bucket of G's and RT's where you can get an older veteran for a year or two for security for Mike McGlinchey and let a young player develop for one more year (Jaylon Moore) who can take over after Mike/veteran leaves next year. The same applies to both G positions where you can lock up a couple young quality players for a long time and/or buy some cheaper quality veteran security to push a player like Aaron Banks and give you more flexibility with Brunskill as the swing-OL. DL is always oversaturated in FA now and like last year, you can always grab players like Willis/Key late. The ER bucket is actually really nice this year but IMHO, you go all-in on Chandler Jones here as your marquee FA. If not, there are a number of older ER players that are still producing at a high level and can be part of a rush dime package to keep fresh for 50% of the snaps, at most.

Trends: DT, S, LB, TE2, SWR and ST (Returner) always seems to be available late either b/c of cap cost and/or saturated markets. These are the positions you target well after the free agency esp. cuts as they don't count against the comp formula. Of note, Kyle has been trying to get a dominant TE2 forever in free agency. Don't be surprised if they finally land one.

Free agency should be about setting up the draft to go BPA to stack young talent at the most critical positions. CB, ER (Speed), IOL (C), SS, XWR (Speed), T (Future), TE2, SWR, ST (Returner).

So far, they are following my plan. Let Tomlinson and Jones test the market and grabbed Ward. ROFR for Brunskill and 2nd round tender for Azeez. ST addition. Let Street test the market.

The OL and backup QB market is almost dry now though.

Better focus on ER!

Also, from the OP:

Priority Targets for Trade/Cut/Extensions/Restructures:
QB Jimmy Garoppolo (Trade)
ER Dee Ford (Cut) - Restructured
ER Nick Bosa (Extension)
ZWR Deebo Samuel (Extension)
ER Samson Ebukam (Extension/Cut)
FS Jimmie Ward (Extension)
LT Trent Williams (Restructure)
3T Arik Armstead (Restructure) - Restructured
TE George Kittle (Restructure) - Restructured
CB Emmanuel Moseley (Restructure)

I was dead wrong about ShanaLynch being able to trade Jimmy prior to free agency or during free agency. They lost Laken and DJ Jones, I think, because of that inability to trade Jimmy and get rid of his cap space. His recent shoulder operation didn't help either.

I don't see much more free agent activity for the 49ers. They need to sign Bosa and Deebo, and the Arik and Kittle restructurings might be due to that.

Hoping for draft capital spent on OLine and DLine now, that CB has somewhat been addressed in free agency. They must think McKivits, Banks, Moore, and Kinlaw are developing/Rehabbing well enough that they were able to let Laken and DJ Jones go. I hope they are right.

i wasn't asking you

LMAO. You're in my thread so I must have felt compelled to respond. Apologies.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Observations:
  • Conscious decision to allow Tomlinson and Jones walk in FA, while not cutting Jimmy G.
  • Restructured contracts allow for some FA buying power, but obviously a lot more would be available by jettisoning Jimmy.
  • Big money expenditure for good corner with good coverage ability but not great ball skills.

Insinuated Rationale:
  • Aaron Banks and Javon Kinlaw will be the assumed replacements for the two big-time FA losses. I would expect both positions to be addressed in the draft, G/C early.
  • The 49ers view Jimmy as an asset and are loathed to cut him outright. They'd rather lose FA buying power in order to maximize trade value. This line of thinking is boom/bust. They may end up getting a team to panic and send them a haul. They also could be stuck holding the bag and not using the money on a top line DE to pair with Bosa. The next deadline is obviously the draft. A top line FA signing would have more impact than a draft pick. This also insinuates that the 49ers are not going "all in" on this season, like the Chargers or Broncos or Rams etc. are doing. Keeping Jimmy into the offseason program (OTAs, TC, preseason) will create a toxic QB environment with heavy media scrutiny. Ultimately, that's an incredibly high price to pay for "competition in the QB room".
  • I like the signing of Ward the more I learn about it, but there's no denying he's not a ball hawk (4 INTs in 4 years). We now have good outside CB depth with Ward, Moseley, and Thomas. But we don't have a turnover machine. We sort of had that with John Norman (FFs), but he was so awful at everything else it didn't matter. We still need something alongside Lenoir at slot. I think Moseley may rotate there, and in that case, we need another versatile CB to be both backups... paging Dontae Johnson, your annual 49er contract is waiting... I expect either/both a high draft pick SS or CB/slot.
  • I don't know much of anything about Burks (LB), but it's telling that the organization prioritized signing him during the legal tampering time. They could have easily pushed ST signings into FA. I like that approach and the signal it sends that our ST was not acceptable last year.

• Our #1 need is a pass rusher who can consistently beat one-on-ones, and ideally a speed rusher (what we wanted Dee Ford to be). This is the only position remaining that could justify top dollar expenditure. A legit 10-sack guy on the other side of Bosa is the single most impactful move we can make in the offseason. Ebukam and Key are both good, Ebukam is making very good money and Key is a FA. Neither of them in my mind are good enough to strike fear into opposing offenses about WTF are we going to do in protection?!
  • If Banks is penciled in as LG, then we need a RG, backup C (eventual Mack replacement), and swing T / utility O-linemen. I expect a cheap FA here, one of their high draft picks, and one of their later picks to be used.
  • SS - unless we get Tartt back for a cheap deal (which remains a possibility), then we'll use a high draft pick for an envisioned starter here. May be the first pick me make.
  • 4/5/6 WR. Specific needs: speed, good return ability. I expect one cheap FA, multiple draft picks (could be high pick if player is available, it fits Shanahan's style).
  • Better competition at QB (assuming Jimmy is off the team going into offseason program), Sudfeld may be a future Shanahan coaching tree guy, but he's not good enough to win a random game in November if/when Trey gets banged up.

Wow Buff. Great outlining thoughts!

That OL bucket dried up well before the new league year. Too bad. It was really nice. But like you noted, more veterans will be released and that'll probably be a target since it won't count against the comp formula. Now we have to hope they can build the OL through the draft and thus far, they don't seem to have a strength there. That's scary for Trey's first year and development.

I agree, ER has to be the next priority. Has to be. Even with Chandler Jones gone, there's still some productive veteran ER who we could tap for nickel.

QB2 is dried up too already. Looks like a draft pick now.

Observations:

Insinuated Rationale:

Wow Buff. Great outlining thoughts!

That OL bucket dried up well before the new league year. Too bad. It was really nice. But like you noted, more veterans will be released and that'll probably be a target since it won't count against the comp formula. Now we have to hope they can build the OL through the draft and thus far, they don't seem to have a strength there. That's scary for Trey's first year and development.

I agree, ER has to be the next priority. Has to be. Even with Chandler Jones gone, there's still some productive veteran ER who we could tap for nickel.

QB2 is dried up too already. Looks like a draft pick now.

Hopefully we address the O-line multiple times, I can envision us scooping us some other teams' cuts here before season starts.

Are there any other difference-makers at ER? Would we have to make a trade at this point?

Looks like we're rolling with Sudfeld as backup, unless Jimmy's still on the roster.
Hopefully we address the O-line multiple times, I can envision us scooping us some other teams' cuts here before season starts.

Are there any other difference-makers at ER? Would we have to make a trade at this point?

Looks like we're rolling with Sudfeld as backup, unless Jimmy's still on the roster.

True. That OL bucket dried up quicker than I thought it would and it was a good one.

It likes like we still have a few older but still positive ER's to choose from to be nickel ER's.

Edge Rusher:
Chandler Jones - 70.4 PFF - Priority FA signing that lessens the load on the CB FA market. (Bills)
Ogbonnia Okoronkwo - 79.2 PFF - Remember OO? He's 27 but only played 22% of the snaps. Might be a flyer-rotation player coming into his own. (Texans)

Yeah, it certainly looks that way. Scary.

True. That OL bucket dried up quicker than I thought it would and it was a good one.

It likes like we still have a few older but still positive ER's to choose from to be nickel ER's.

Edge Rusher:
Chandler Jones - 70.4 PFF - Priority FA signing that lessens the load on the CB FA market. (Bills)

Yeah, it certainly looks that way. Scary.

Is ZaDarius available or no? It would be dynamite to pair him with Bosa. And Armstead and Kinlaw in the middle. Devastating pass rush!

Is ZaDarius available or no? It would be dynamite to pair him with Bosa. And Armstead and Kinlaw in the middle. Devastating pass rush!

Yeah, he pulled out of his deal with the Ravens, I believe.
How are we doing on our team needs?

Offensive Personnel: --- 31
QB: Jimmy Garoppolo; Trey Lance & Nate Sudfeld
RB: Elijah Mitchell; Jeff Wilson, Trey Sermon & Jamycal Hasty
FB: Kyle Juszczyk; Josh Hokit
TE: George Kittle; Charlie Woerner, Jordan Matthews & Tanner Hudson
XWR: Brandon Aiyuk; Ray-Ray McCloud
SWR: Jauan Jennings; KeeSean Johnson & Austin Mack
ZWR/F: Deebo Samuel; Connor Wedington
LT: Trent Williams; Colton McKivitz
LG: Aaron Banks; Keaton Sutherland
C: Alex Mack; Jake Brendel
RG: Daniel Brunskill; Jaylon Moore
RT: Mike McGlinchey; Justin Skule & Alfredo Gutierrez

Needs: IOL (C & G), RT, XWR (Speed), QB2, T (Future), TE2

Defensive Personnel: --- 29
LDE/W9: Samson Ebukam; Kerry Hyder, Charles Omenihu & Alex Barrett
2i: Javon Kinlaw; Chris Slayton & Hassan Ridgeway
3T: Arik Armstead; Maurice Hurst & Kevin Givens
RDE/W9: Nick Bosa; Jordan Willis & Dee Ford
SAM: Azeez Al-Shaair; Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles & Curtis Robinson
MIKE: Fred Warner; Oren Burks
WILL: Dre Greenlaw
RCB: Charvarius Ward; Ambry Thomas
SCB: Deommodore Lenoir; Dontae Johnson
LCB: Emmanuel Moseley; Ka'dar Hollman
FS: Jimmie Ward
SS: Tarvarius Moore; Talanoa Hufanga & George Odum

Needs: CB, ER (Speed), SS, SCB

Special Teams: --- 3
LS: Taybor Pepper
PK: Robbie Gould
P: Mitch Wishnowsky

Needs:

KOR: Ray-Ray McCloud & Elijah Mitchell
PR: Ray-Ray McCloud
GR: George Odum & Tarvarius Moore

Overall:
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 25, 2022 at 6:18 AM ]
Ladies and gentlemen, your 2022 Championship roster.

Offensive Personnel: --- 47
QB: Trey Lance; Jimmy Garoppolo, Nate Sudfeld & Brock Purdy
RB: Elijah Mitchell; Tyrion Davis-Price, Jeff Wilson, Trey Sermon, Jamycal Hasty, Cyrus Habibi Likio & Jordan Mason
FB: Kyle Juszczyk; Josh Hokit
TE: George Kittle; Charlie Woerner, Ross Dwelley, Jordan Matthews, Tanner Hudson & Garrett Walston
XWR: Brandon Aiyuk; Ray-Ray McCloud, Marcus Johnson & Tay Martin
SWR: Jauan Jennings; Danny Gray, KeeSean Johnson & Austin Mack
ZWR/F: Deebo Samuel; Connor Wedington, Malik Turner & Taysir Mack
LT: Trent Williams; Colton McKivitz & Sam Schlueter
LG: Aaron Banks; Keaton Sutherland & Nick Zakelj
C: Alex Mack; Jake Brendel, Dohnovan West & Jason Poe
RG: Daniel Brunskill; Jaylon Moore & Spencer Burford
RT: Mike McGlinchey; Justin Skule & Alfredo Gutierrez

Defensive Personnel: --- 40
LDE/W9: Samson Ebukam; Drake Jackson, Kerry Hyder, Charles Omenihu & Alex Barrett
2i: Javon Kinlaw; Hassan Ridgeway, Chris Slayton & Kevin Givens (Kalia Davis)
3T: Arik Armstead; Maurice Hurst & Kevin Atkins
RDE/W9: Nick Bosa; Jordan Willis & Kemoko Turay (Dee Ford)
SAM: Azeez Al-Shaair; Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles & Curtis Robinson
MIKE: Fred Warner; Oren Burks
WILL: Dre Greenlaw; Jeremiah Gemmel & Segun Olubi
RCB: Charvarius Ward; Ambry Thomas
SCB: Darqueze Dennard; Deommodore Lenoir, Dontae Johnson, Samuel Womack & Qwuantrezz Knight
LCB: Emmanuel Moseley; Jason Verrett, Ka'dar Hollman & Tariq Castro-Fields
FS: Jimmie Ward; Tayler Hawkins & Leon O'Neal
SS: Tarvarius Moore; Talanoa Hufanga & George Odum

Special Teams: --- 3
LS: Taybor Pepper
PK: Robbie Gould
P: Mitch Wishnowsky

KOR: Ray-Ray McCloud & Elijah Mitchell
PR: Ray-Ray McCloud
GR: George Odum & Tarvarius Moore
[ Edited by NCommand on May 2, 2022 at 12:27 PM ]
^ That's 91!
[ Edited by NCommand on May 1, 2022 at 10:38 AM ]
2022 Draft Picks: 9
(2 | 61) - ER Drake Jackson
(3 | 93) - RB Tyrion Davis-Price
(3 | 105) - WR Danny Gray
(4 | 134) - G Spencer Burford
(5 | 172) - CB Samuel Womack
(6 | 187) - G Nick Zakelj
(6 | 220) - 3T Kalia Davis (PUP)
(6 | 221) - CB Tariq Castro-Fields
(7 | 262) - QB Brock Purdy

I typically assess draft picks a bit different than most. I'm looking for snaps counts that will contribute this year and projections into the future based on the roles the player was drafted for. This tells me what I can expect for contributions this year and into the future (if things go well).

ER Drake Jackson - For 2022, the max you can expect is 44% of the snaps (Jordan Willis role). In reality, this could be closer to 33% in a nickel-rush role only given the grand number of other veteran pass rushers we already have on the roster. But the goal will be to grow into more of a Nick Bosa full time role (975 snaps). This is a significant addition with likely payoffs starting in 2023. But for 2022, expect 300-400 of the 1K snaps. And those will be very important snaps!
RB Tyrion Davis-Price - Kyle confirmed the 1-2 punch. This is his early game bulldozer (Tevin Coleman role) who softens up the defense mostly inside to give way to Mitchell outside as the game wears on. Therefore, you can consistently expect around 400 snaps and Mitchell, 450. This is a split starter role. Together, both should account for roughly 500 rushing attempts.
XWR Danny Gray - Kyle referenced this is his Travis Benjamin role. Lynch referenced Marquise Goodwin and confirmed the XWR position, like Goodwin. Like they both said, you'll see lots of clearing and ghost routes to get others open by stretching coverages as well as some 9 routes, in-breaking routes plus screens and I'm sure, some fly sweeps. His primary position will be the X but will also play in the slot because he's tough and can run block. He is the Aldrick Robinson role. Due to injury, Goodwin had to become a primary receiver and the most snaps he had was 770 snaps. This role, however, is really a 200-300 snap role when your starting X and Z are healthy. When you factor in Deebo at the Z, Ray Ray and Jennings in the slot and Aiyuk sharing snaps at the X, 300 of the 1K snaps would be a really nice year. You're looking at around 20 catches for 300 yards.
G Spencer Burford - This FO had a 3rd round grade on Burford and they are very high on him as a G. He's in real competition with Moore at RG. If he wins, that's a 1K snap position in the 4th round. Outstanding return.
SCB Samuel Womack - 37 PBU's per Peters over 3 years. It sounds like he'll compete in the slot and has a chance to earn up to 800 snaps in a full time nickel/dime CB. This also would be amazing value in the 5th round.
G Nick Zakelj - Depth player. No strong path to significant snaps unless there are several injuries. But Peters had him on his radar for 4 years and is intelligent enough to be cross trained at but G and C. PS might be his path.
3T Kalia Davis (PUP) - Peters said his get-off is exactly like D.J. Jones. That could earn up to 650 snaps some day.
CB Tariq Castro-Fields - Depth player. No strong path to significant snaps unless there are several injuries. Potential ST core player to start.
QB Brock Purdy - Depth player. No strong path to significant snaps unless there are several injuries. Likely PS QB.

So, all in all, I'll mirror what Peters said; it's a depth draft with a couple difference makers that can really help this club. But that's unlikely to be this year with large snaps. But all of the roles they earn to play this year will be important, nonetheless. And their roles are clear. These picks are calculated to fit specific roles.

2022 UDFA's:
3T Kevin Atkins
SAM Jeremiah Gemmel
SAM Segun Olubi
CB/S Tayler Hawkins
CB Qwuantrezz Knight
S Leon O'Neal
T Sam Schlueter
C Jason Poe
C Dohnovan West
XWR Tay Martin
XWR Taysir Mack
TE Garrett Walston
RB Cyrus Habibi Likio
RB Jordan Mason

I don't anticipate any of these UDFA's making a contribution this year but keep your eye on West and Poe. If Alex Mack does retire, both could realistically compete with Brunskill/Brendel next year, once they have the offense and pass protecting sets down. I only say they could compete next year because of the complexity of the offense and because Kyle typically leans towards veterans there. In addition, keep your eye on LB Jeremiah Gemmel as the 4th pure LB and S Leon O'Neal as the 5th S. Both have real shots here. Both would be immediate ST contributors.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 12, 2022 at 1:27 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone