There are 214 users in the forums

Kyle Shanahan - QB Guru / Developer

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This may or not deserve its own thread but I am curious as to "Where" Kyle developed a QB and made said QB better than before he got there?

I don't see a guy that is developing QB's and making them better. If anything Jimmy has regressed and it looked like Kyle drafted YAC guys because he knew that was the only way he could win with Jimmy.

I see zero evidence of QB improvement over the years. I see nothing but smoke and mirrors trying to compensate for lack of a quality QB.

That said, we are supposed to trust this guy with Trey? Kyle got him injured in his very first start. He totally mis-used him in that game. I want to know what proof exists that proves Shanahan is a QB Guru.

Not bashing, not a fan either anymore. To me there is a lot of unknown, except that familiar last name. 2019 is looking more of a fluke to me.
[ Edited by ninerfan818 on Nov 15, 2021 at 11:19 AM ]
"qb guru"
You're right, it doesn't deserve its own thread.
Originally posted by NotAFinga42:
You're right, it doesn't deserve its own thread.

Lock it up! I was curious. There seems to be an unwavering belief in Kyle. I want to know why, that's all.
  • thl408
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
This may or not deserve its own thread but I am curious as to "Where" Kyle developed a QB and made said QB better than before he got there?

I don't see a guy that is developing QB's and making them better. If anything Jimmy has regressed and it looked like Kyle drafted YAC guys because he knew that was the only way he could win with Jimmy.

I see zero evidence of QB improvement over the years. I see nothing but smoke and mirrors trying to compensate for lack of a quality QB.

That said, we are supposed to trust this guy with Trey? Kyle got him injured in his very first start. He totally mis-used him in that game. I want to know what proof exists that proves Shanahan is a QB Guru.

Not bashing, not a fan either anymore. To me there is a lot of unknown, except that familiar last name. 2019 is looking more of a fluke to me.

I guess we can say he's never developed any QB. He's had quick stints as OC (2 years in HOU, 2 in ATL, 1 in CLE) outside of his four year stint in WAS. In WAS he had an old McNabb, then Grossman, then two years of RG3. Because of this, I think a better question to pose is how have his QBs done once he left?

I don't agree that he misused Lance in the ARI game. Misusing Lance would be asking him to drop back to pass 30 times a game with Chandler Jones and Watt coming off the edges. At this point in his career, Lance is not a polished dropback passer. He is comfortable running with the ball and that's why that ARI game was called the way it was. It wasn't pretty but neither is having Lance dropback with the deer in the headlights look and getting pressured into bad throws.
Don't remember if it was you that brought this up in the Lance thread but I'll say this once again.

The whole QB development thing isn't really a thing these days with the limited workouts and longer season/offseason.

What really helps a QB develop into a good player are the following things

1. Their own hard work and dedication to improving their mechanics, tape study, etc. This is done mostly during the offseason when they're away from the team.

2. The offense they're in. Having a scheme which fits their strengths, a scheme which makes things easier for them and having players to help and protect said QB.

Kyle Shanahan can do #2 very well. Few other coaches can make things easier for their guys than Shanahan.

He cannot do #1, no HC can. That is about the player putting in the time and effort while also having the ability to put those things into the games.

Did people forget that Shanahan had Nick friggin Mullens putting up numbers similar to Pat Mahomes? Eventually he can only do so much, it's on the player to take the steps forward on his own. He can't teach Garoppolo to make more accurate passes, he can't teach him to stay calm in the pocket when things start to break down and he certainly can't somehow make his arm stronger.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Lol guru
[ Edited by Silky on Nov 15, 2021 at 11:45 AM ]
Originally posted by thl408:

I guess we can say he's never developed any QB. He's had quick stints as OC (2 years in HOU, 2 in ATL, 1 in CLE) outside of his four year stint in WAS. In WAS he had an old McNabb, then Grossman, then two years of RG3. Because of this, I think a better question to pose is how have his QBs done once he left?

I don't agree that he misused Lance in the ARI game. Misusing Lance would be asking him to drop back to pass 30 times a game with Chandler Jones and Watt coming off the edges. At this point in his career, Lance is not a polished dropback passer. He is comfortable running with the ball and that's why that ARI game was called the way it was. It wasn't pretty but neither is having Lance dropback with the deer in the headlights look and getting pressured into bad throws.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I thought having him run the ball so much was not a great idea. If they were giving the team running lanes, we have running backs.

It seemed to me had he called a regular game, we may have a chance to win, AZ was struggling on offense the first half. Not sold on him anymore unfortunately and it will require more than a couple wins to sway me again. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...
Originally posted by thl408:

I agree with most of what you said. It makes sense that Kyle wasn't comfortable with him dropping back 30 times against a tough defense, but that doesn't really explain why there were so many designed QB runs while Elijah Mitchell only had 9 carries. That bothered me, especially on the runs where Lance basically just ran up the middle.
He's more of a RB guru than he is a QB guru

Originally posted by genus49:
Don't remember if it was you that brought this up in the Lance thread but I'll say this once again.

The whole QB development thing isn't really a thing these days with the limited workouts and longer season/offseason.

1. Their own hard work and dedication to improving their mechanics, tape study, etc. This is done mostly during the offseason when they're away from the team.

2. The offense they're in. Having a scheme which fits their strengths, a scheme which makes things easier for them and having players to help and protect said QB.

Kyle Shanahan can do #2 very well. Few other coaches can make things easier for their guys than Shanahan.

He cannot do #1, no HC can. That is about the player putting in the time and effort while also having the ability to put those things into the games.

Did people forget that Shanahan had Nick friggin Mullens putting up numbers similar to Pat Mahomes? Eventually he can only do so much, it's on the player to take the steps forward on his own. He can't teach Garoppolo to make more accurate passes, he can't teach him to stay calm in the pocket when things start to break down and he certainly can't somehow make his arm stronger.

It may have been me. There is this unwavering belief in Kyle so I am trying to wrap my brain around it. I don't see Kyle as a great play caller, or a play caller good at keeping a defense off balance. Maybe Kyle has too much on his plate to be able to actually coach?
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

More like a running scheme guru. He can make a lot of rbs look great. Except Joe Williams and trey sermon apparently.

Originally posted by Heroism:

Originally posted by JoseCortez:

More like a running scheme guru. He can make a lot of rbs look great. Except Joe Williams and trey sermon apparently.

Lol, there is a lot the that. Cast off RB's seem to flourish with Kyle. I don't know what happened to Sermon?
  • 91til
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:

wow
Share 49ersWebzone