LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 157 users in the forums

What's wrong with the offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What's wrong with the offense?

Originally posted by All22:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Tossing this out there, why not make a move for OBJ? Been watching some of the Browns games (Fantasy purposes) dude is constantly getting open and never getting the ball thrown his way.

There's your XWR and deep threat for Lance going forward. He's got no GTD cash left and I'm sure SF would be more than happy to restructure/extend him so he has GTD cash and a lower cap hit.

You already know what Lynch is going to say, "He just wasn't a good fit" and "We're happy with our guys".

Meanwhile, It couldn't be more obvious we need:

- a #1 X WR and deep threat (Julio Jones, AJ Green, OBJ)
- a starting quality RB to replace Mostert (Marlon Mack anyone?)
- a bunch of corners who can actually play press (since Ryans likes to call it so much on 3rd down against superstar WR's and QB's) (Gilmore, Sherman etc).
- a mobile experienced backup that Trey Lance can imitate (Cam Newton anyone?)

The Rams and Cards wouldn't have hesitated to make the moves needed to grab these guys.

I appreciate them bringing in Josh Norman but they need about 2-3 more moves like that to win this division.

Salary Cap. We cant bring in OBJ
Originally posted by Rascal:
For Shanahan's offense to be successful, the run game has to be firing on all cylinders. We have lost Mostert which is absolutely massive plus the O-line is not playing well, especially on the right side of the line with both Brunskill and McGlinchey.

We have to run the ball to open up the pass game. We can't do it the other way round with Jimmy because teams know he can't throw far, so they just bring down the safeties to hit the WRs on their crossing routes. While Lance can throw far, he is not ready as demonstrated in the Cards game, throwing high, seeing ghosts, he couldn't even see Mitchell right in front of him which should have been an easy TD.

In order to get things going again, the easiest way out is to kickstart the run game. The O-line needs to play much better or even play an extra lineman whatever the case may be. Mitchell is good enough to make plays. If Shanahan can't restart his run game, you will be seeing what you have been seeing, basically struggle like hell.

Then maybe we need a different coach because this is the NFL and injuries are guaranteed. Change is guaranteed. If we will be hamstrung every year because things didn't go perfect like 2019, it's gonna be a painful ride.
[ Edited by ninerfan818 on Oct 11, 2021 at 12:21 PM ]
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:

Oline, coaching, injured RBs, penalties, dropsies, QB play
Originally posted by pillageDatazz:
Oline, coaching, injured RBs, penalties, dropsies, QB play

Pretty much in that order too
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:
Originally posted by All22:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Tossing this out there, why not make a move for OBJ? Been watching some of the Browns games (Fantasy purposes) dude is constantly getting open and never getting the ball thrown his way.

There's your XWR and deep threat for Lance going forward. He's got no GTD cash left and I'm sure SF would be more than happy to restructure/extend him so he has GTD cash and a lower cap hit.

You already know what Lynch is going to say, "He just wasn't a good fit" and "We're happy with our guys".

Meanwhile, It couldn't be more obvious we need:

- a #1 X WR and deep threat (Julio Jones, AJ Green, OBJ)
- a starting quality RB to replace Mostert (Marlon Mack anyone?)
- a bunch of corners who can actually play press (since Ryans likes to call it so much on 3rd down against superstar WR's and QB's) (Gilmore, Sherman etc).
- a mobile experienced backup that Trey Lance can imitate (Cam Newton anyone?)

The Rams and Cards wouldn't have hesitated to make the moves needed to grab these guys.

I appreciate them bringing in Josh Norman but they need about 2-3 more moves like that to win this division.

We tried to get him in the 2019 off-season, but fell short (shocker) I like Bosa and getting OBJ wouldve almost certainly meant not getting the former, but man…. imagine having a legitimate badass superstar WR on this team along with Kittle and Deebo… Instead we settled with a broken down Dee Ford who had just cost KC a super bowl trip
[ Edited by Aj_hwd954 on Oct 11, 2021 at 6:21 PM ]
  • thl408
QB play has not been good enough to make up for the downtick in the running game. Defenses have adjusted to take away the outside zone run. It's time to adjust and not rely on outside zone, especially with their best outside zone RB on IR (Mostert). However, they don't have the horses up front to be excellent at the gap scheme or inside zone. Sitting Alex Mack is not an option so Aaron Banks needs to do something. Banks' build suggests he can move people in the straight ahead run game and that would be a welcome skillet at right Guard.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by Rascal:
For Shanahan's offense to be successful, the run game has to be firing on all cylinders. We have lost Mostert which is absolutely massive plus the O-line is not playing well, especially on the right side of the line with both Brunskill and McGlinchey.

We have to run the ball to open up the pass game. We can't do it the other way round with Jimmy because teams know he can't throw far, so they just bring down the safeties to hit the WRs on their crossing routes. While Lance can throw far, he is not ready as demonstrated in the Cards game, throwing high, seeing ghosts, he couldn't even see Mitchell right in front of him which should have been an easy TD.

In order to get things going again, the easiest way out is to kickstart the run game. The O-line needs to play much better or even play an extra lineman whatever the case may be. Mitchell is good enough to make plays. If Shanahan can't restart his run game, you will be seeing what you have been seeing, basically struggle like hell.

Then maybe we need a different coach because this is the NFL and injuries are guaranteed. Change is guaranteed. If we will be hamstrung every year because things didn't go perfect like 2019, it's gonna be a painful ride.

I agree, if Shanahan can't sort it out soon. Everything has a limit, with the way things are going, we are probably staring at yet another losing season. That would be 4 losing seasons out of 5 years (under the same head coach) which is insane.

I think Jed will probably hit his limit if we end up with another losing season after this. By that point, it would be 5 losing seasons out of 6 years. When we fired Harbaugh, the guy didn't even have a single losing season. I know Jed loves Shanahan because they are about the same age with a similar privileged upbringing, but even so I just can't see how Shanahan could still be the head coach in 2023 if he can't rebound by next year disregard which QB he uses.
Originally posted by thl408:
QB play has not been good enough to make up for the downtick in the running game. Defenses have adjusted to take away the outside zone run. It's time to adjust and not rely on outside zone, especially with their best outside zone RB on IR (Mostert). However, they don't have the horses up front to be excellent at the gap scheme or inside zone. Sitting Alex Mack is not an option so Aaron Banks needs to do something. Banks' build suggests he can move people in the straight ahead run game and that would be a welcome skillet at right Guard.

His offense is predicated on the run game and you hit it on the nail, Jimmy G hasn't been consistent enough to offset this.

I think more than anyone else, Shanny needs a break. We all have off days at work, especially when work miserable. (I know, it's his roster).

It's early on, let's see how this season plays out. I'm hoping we get it together.
Kyle.
OL
QB play
roster management
[ Edited by ninersrule4 on Oct 12, 2021 at 10:30 PM ]

Zero Execution Of Plays.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Zero Execution Of Plays.

Can't execute plays if the line can't block long enough for routes to develop. I'd say the poor blocking has been the root of our offensive problems, that doesn't allow the QB's to get set and make their reads from a clean pocket. What is plain awful is when the other team only rushes 4 and they still generate pressure against 6 or more blockers.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
it all starts and ends with the OL.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
QB. It is unrealistic to expect a team to have 5 GREAT OL. Watch the other games. There aren't many great OLs in this league.

Is the Rams OL really that great? The Bills? The Titans? The Chargers? The Ravens without Ronnie Stanley? The Bengals? The Packers with their injuries? The Cards?
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by FL9er:
QB. It is unrealistic to expect a team to have 5 GREAT OL. Watch the other games. There aren't many great OLs in this league.

Is the Rams OL really that great? The Bills? The Titans? The Chargers? The Ravens without Ronnie Stanley? The Bengals? The Packers with their injuries? The Cards?

no one is asking for five great o-linemen. watch OUR games. the OL play has been absolutely brutal.
Share 49ersWebzone