LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 295 users in the forums

Week 2 PHI Eagles Coaches Film Analysis thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
Originally posted by jonnydel:

Is it just me or is Jimmy terrible at selling the play action? Play @ 1:16 mark.

I think it's just you, lol. No offense meant. Considering the sheer volume of play action passes we've run, I think overall, he's pretty good at it.

Is it just me or is Jimmy terrible at selling the play action? Play @ 1:16 mark.

I think it's just you, lol. No offense meant. Considering the sheer volume of play action passes we've run, I think overall, he's pretty good at it.

speaking of play action, I think I saw a play this past Sunday where there must've some miscommunication lol Jimmy did play action but the RB was on the wrong side... that cracked me lol.... but I think we were still able to turn that into a positive play.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

speaking of play action, I think I saw a play this past Sunday where there must've some miscommunication lol Jimmy did play action but the RB was on the wrong side... that cracked me lol.... but I think we were still able to turn that into a positive play.

It's what happens when you're down to your 4th and 5th string RB's.
Originally posted by Luckycharms:
Thanks for these as always JD. How did you feel Mitchell did in terms of finding the open lanes and hitting the cutback lanes? I think one of the podcasts with Barrows he said he remembers atleast 3 times he missed wide open cut back lanes. It did seem like Hasty had more success in there. Thought? Anything stick out?

I don't remember anything specific. I did gloss over a few runs though, they were getting lather rinse repeat with all the 2-3 yard runs.

Looks like we got a closer look on the 2 missed lanes he took when you broke down that 90 yard drive. No doubt Mostert hits those for big games, like Shanahan recently said, Mostert is the fastest rb in the league and he's excellent at reading the right cutback lanes and planting his foot and accelerating like no one else can. It really is a big blow losing him so early and for the rest of the year. I would assume those 2 missed lanes weren't the only 2 Mitchell missed. Let's see if Sermon is able to read those this week. Thanks for the breakdown JD

Something that could've happened was that the rb saw someone blitzing and in that case ignored the blitz to be able to block in time

Its not a missed communication, it's on the RB if he sees a blitz coming free to just bail on his run fake and save the qb. It happens all the time. I remember Gore doing it a bunch under Harbaugh.

Its not a missed communication, it's on the RB if he sees a blitz coming free to just bail on his run fake and save the qb. It happens all the time. I remember Gore doing it a bunch under Harbaugh.

the thing is I don't remember see any free blitz coming lol....

RI got, but if the RB thinks there could be, he could be bailing out. He's also a young back and might not understand the nuances of the pass pro scheme yet.

RI got, but if the RB thinks there could be, he could be bailing out. He's also a young back and might not understand the nuances of the pass pro scheme yet.

I just thought it was hella funny lol.
Love these threads and videos. Looking forward to a "How the 49ers dominated the Packers (again)" video next week.

Mitchell missed some big gains due to inexperience. This shows how we'll have to deal with rookie mistakes at RB this season. It really shows the impact of missing Heem and Wilson. Now imagine us trying to do this with a rookie QB too. It would be a mess.
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Mitchell missed some big gains due to inexperience. This shows how we'll have to deal with rookie mistakes at RB this season. It really shows the impact of missing Heem and Wilson. Now imagine us trying to do this with a rookie QB too. It would be a mess.

Yeah i saw the first big one on jonny's video live, And then watched juszczyk's disappointment back to the huddle. With mostert's abilities this is a TD, but mitchell left 30 yards on the table.

The huge cutback lanes are harder to see live. So i missed how "bad" the second one was.

But if he continues to get the winning yards on 1st down and does not turn it over, i will take it for a few weeks.
Share 49ersWebzone