LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 192 users in the forums

2021 OTA Offseason Workouts

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yeah, that's not the kind of contact Seattle got busted for. Those dudes had full team contact and game simulations during times they weren't supposed too. Of course, the NFL waits until the end of TC to fine them. IIRC, that ($400K) was also their 2nd or 3rd time.

This is ticky tack.

In 2016 Seattle got fined because they had two players hit heads during a play, they weren't wearing helmets…

According to the team, the incident occurred when two players — a receiver and a defensive back — collided as they were going for a ball and hit heads during a drill when they were not wearing helmets. The NFL has the right to review film of all official workouts and practices and after looking at the play determined it was excessive.

The league's statement went on to read that:

"In the letter notifying the club of the discipline, the NFL referenced Appendix G of the CBA which underscores the importance of player safety and the purpose of the "no-live-contact" rule:

Voluntary off-season workout programs are intended to provide training, teaching and physical conditioning for players. The intensity and tempo of drills should be at a level conducive to learning, with player safety as the highest priority, and not at a level where one player is in a physical contest with another player.

I don't know where you keep getting that they were in full pads and having full game contact in OTAs? The way the CBA is setup, along with players in the know of the rules and it being filmed for NFL to watch whenever…it's next to impossible for teams to do what you said they did.

The reason Seattle got such a heavy fine was because it wasn't the first time.

LMAO if you think they caught two players hitting heads during a play and that's what the fine was for. You don't fine them $400K for touching helmets (so many jokes off this line).

I'm from Seattle and have family and friends that attend the live practices still. They are very intense and physical. It wasn't until they got busted for the 2nd time and lost $400K and a draft pick that they started toning out down. That also coincided with a big drop in their health too. Makes sense.

Like i said, in between the lines (and outside), every team is different; lots of similarities too of course.

Of course they weren't fined until September when TC was already over.

The Seahawks were punished for violating offseason rules once before, in 2014.

So when they were caught again, the league dropped the hammer on them. The NFL just announced the Seahawks violated offseason rules prohibiting excessive contact in offseason workings, citing a June 6 OTA practice.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 11, 2021 at 8:24 AM ]
So NFL is penalizing Niners by removing the portion of off-season for rookies to develop life skills to help them deal wit NFL life. That's pretty s**tty thing to do to these youngsters.

per Maiocco

"What was eliminated by the league was a rookie development week that was not football-related. NBC Sports Bay Area's Matt Maiocco characterized the development in a tweet as, "non-football and life skills."
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 11, 2021 at 8:24 AM ]
Man, what a fun resource. Seattle's long history of cheating (like we didn't already know):

"The Seattle Seahawks Complete Cheating History - Your Team Cheats - The Definitive Guide to NFL Cheating" https://yourteamcheats.com/SEA

Practicegate (2016) to top ⤴home ⇐awards ⤵TEAM: The Seattle Seahawks

SEVERITY:

SUMMARY:

For the third time since 2012, the Seattle Seahawks were punished for running an illegal practice. The league fined the team $400,000, fined head coach Pete Carroll $200,000 and took away Seattle's fifth-round draft pick in 2017. The league also forced the team to forfeit its first three days of organized team activities in 2017.

According to Darren Hartwell of NESN, "Seattle was penalized for holding workouts that included excessive on-field contact, specifically a June 6, 2016, workout that included 'live contact' drills which aren't allowed under the league's collective bargaining agreement with the NFL Players' Association."

For total of fines for the Seahawks three practice cheats are now over $1,000,000.

VICTIM: The entire league

PUNISHED? Yes

PUNISHMENT: Fined a total of $600,000, lost their 2017 fifth-round draft pick and forced to forfeit three organized team activities in 2017.

[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 11, 2021 at 8:29 AM ]
I have a theory on 49er injuries. Kyle Shanahan, and before he left, Robert Saleh, like players with speed. Often times players with speed have heavily muscled bodies on lighter frames. These speed players are awesome when they are healthy, but are more susceptible to break down physically. This would be analogous to the trend of injuries in thoroughbred race horses, which have been bred to have light frames to maximize speed. The NFL has become a speed game, but is still a very violent game and the players are now reaching the limits of what the body can take, and hence it seems we are seeing more and more season ending serious injuries. This theory doesn't square with every incident, of course, and maybe doesn't pinpoint why the Niners are so injury plagued, unless you attribute that generally to Shanahan's prioritization of speed. In the Harbaugh era the team was more heavy bodied maulers and, frankly, I can't recall if we were more injury-free, but I think we were. And that's all I have to say about that.
LMAO if you think they caught two players hitting heads during a play and that's what the fine was for. You don't fine them $400K for touching helmets (so many jokes off this line).

I'm from Seattle and have family and friends that attend the live practices still. They are very intense and physical. It wasn't until they got busted for the 2nd time and lost $400K and a draft pick that they started toning out down. That also coincided with a big drop in their health too. Makes sense.

Like i said, in between the lines (and outside), every team is different; lots of similarities too of course.

Of course they weren't fined until September when TC was already over.

The Seahawks were punished for violating offseason rules once before, in 2014.

So when they were caught again, the league dropped the hammer on them. The NFL just announced the Seahawks violated offseason rules prohibiting excessive contact in offseason workings, citing a June 6 OTA practice.

Lol if you think they're running around wearing pads and tackling all the damn time since they changed the rules….it's impossible to do that before TC.

you get fined for bump and running during phase one of OTAs for god sake. The NFL can watch your practices (they film it) and they have NFLPA guys on every team! You got freaking Sherm as one of the most vocal advocates for player safety. You think he's gonna just sit there and watch padded practices happen in OTAs? GTFO.

Who cares about 2014? That was 7 yrs ago…excessive contact can be like they said running into each other diving for balls or just constantly touching throughout drills. You can't even do that as we just found out.

you said they were running full on contact with pads during OTAs which they most certainly were not.
Man, what a fun resource. Seattle's long history of cheating (like we didn't already know):

"The Seattle Seahawks Complete Cheating History - Your Team Cheats - The Definitive Guide to NFL Cheating" https://yourteamcheats.com/SEA

Practicegate (2016) to top ⤴home ⇐awards ⤵TEAM: The Seattle Seahawks

SEVERITY:

SUMMARY:

For the third time since 2012, the Seattle Seahawks were punished for running an illegal practice. The league fined the team $400,000, fined head coach Pete Carroll $200,000 and took away Seattle's fifth-round draft pick in 2017. The league also forced the team to forfeit its first three days of organized team activities in 2017.

According to Darren Hartwell of NESN, "Seattle was penalized for holding workouts that included excessive on-field contact, specifically a June 6, 2016, workout that included 'live contact' drills which aren't allowed under the league's collective bargaining agreement with the NFL Players' Association."

For total of fines for the Seahawks three practice cheats are now over $1,000,000.

VICTIM: The entire league

PUNISHED? Yes

PUNISHMENT: Fined a total of $600,000, lost their 2017 fifth-round draft pick and forced to forfeit three organized team activities in 2017.

"Live contact drills" can be DL/OL one-on-one or what we did with our rookie DBs…they're most certainly not running around full pads playing scrimmages like you make it sound lol.
It's so funny, you go on Twitter and half the fan base is saying Shanny has too physical of OTAs/TC and that's why we have injuries…then you got one or two of ya in here saying it's not physical enough, that's why we have injuries lol. None of ya'll have a clue either way.

the fact of it all is OTAs are so limited overall that there's not much you can do differently. The workouts are so quick and the coaching staffs are try to get in as much as possible.

players have to workout more on their own time now and need to be in football shape when they show up, it's so hard to do that along with having that risk of getting injured outside of the facility.

toss in signing guys with an injured past, you're creating a scenario for injuries to happen league wide.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by BSofSF:
I have a theory on 49er injuries. Kyle Shanahan, and before he left, Robert Saleh, like players with speed. Often times players with speed have heavily muscled bodies on lighter frames. These speed players are awesome when they are healthy, but are more susceptible to break down physically. This would be analogous to the trend of injuries in thoroughbred race horses, which have been bred to have light frames to maximize speed. The NFL has become a speed game, but is still a very violent game and the players are now reaching the limits of what the body can take, and hence it seems we are seeing more and more season ending serious injuries. This theory doesn't square with every incident, of course, and maybe doesn't pinpoint why the Niners are so injury plagued, unless you attribute that generally to Shanahan's prioritization of speed. In the Harbaugh era the team was more heavy bodied maulers and, frankly, I can't recall if we were more injury-free, but I think we were. And that's all I have to say about that.

Your theory is as good as any, now do the chiefs
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
It's so funny, you go on Twitter and half the fan base is saying Shanny has too physical of OTAs/TC and that's why we have injuries…then you got one or two of ya in here saying it's not physical enough, that's why we have injuries lol. None of ya'll have a clue either way.

the fact of it all is OTAs are so limited overall that there's not much you can do differently. The workouts are so quick and the coaching staffs are try to get in as much as possible.

players have to workout more on their own time now and need to be in football shape when they show up, it's so hard to do that along with having that risk of getting injured outside of the facility.

toss in signing guys with an injured past, you're creating a scenario for injuries to happen league wide.

This entire story is a big nothing

Originally posted by Crown:

Oh I agree, it just shows how limited OTAs are overall.
Originally posted by Crown:

Oh I agree, it just shows how limited OTAs are overall.

I wish I could tell my boss imma show up for work but Im not gonna work hard.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

or have your union set it up that you don't have too…end of the day these were "voluntary" OTAs.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jun 11, 2021 at 10:31 AM ]
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Lol or have your union set it up that you don't have too…end of the day these were "voluntary" OTAs.

lol it's crazy and I was listening to Denver radio and former pro Tyler Polumbus has a radio show and he was talking about how disconnected football players are financially and responsibility wise. He got offered the radio gig he laughed and thought they were hazing him cause he didn't see 2 commas in his offer sheet. And then when he was required to be somewhere every day all year unless he requested time off was blowing his mind. Was fun to listen too and he wasn't being all elitist he said the NFL was his first job he ever had and never realized that normal average Joe's got payed that much less than a pro athletes.

off topic but honestly what the f**k is there to talk about.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
my fear is these guys are setting around loafing and then we will roll out the shock and awe when they get to camp and we see pulled muscles and other such crap.. yes i know its football but if the answer is setting around resting. then the question is. what is the dumbest thing our players could be doing this off season
Share 49ersWebzone