There are 206 users in the forums

49ers sign UDFA Austin Watkins

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
the next Deebo

I wish he was the next Aiyuk
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Had him in a lot of my practice mocks in the 6th/7th rounds. Great hands good RZ target. Good deep ball WR that can pluck the ball in the air.

I've seen him comped to Gabriel Davis which would be amazing IMO.
i am like alot of fans. i was kind of upset we never drafted a wide out. but watching this guy. reading what you guys and execs and scouts say about him. i feel better with him being signed. people should be wise not to sleep on my boy travis benjamin. he is my marlon moore crush this coming off season to be a good player for us

Yeah I was a little confused not grabbing a WR in this draft...I was hoping for dyami brown after he dropped to the 3rd. Had some great slot guys drop too (Smith/Darby/Newsome/Darden)

Watkins can play though...a lot of the same traits as Bourne but I think he's a better downfield WR.

we will see.
  • CJ75
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ers18:
I wish he was the next Aiyuk

Ya Deebo's nice but I would hope Watkin's someone who's someone who do damage vertically in the NFL. Something we need with Trey's cannon arm
[ Edited by CJ75 on May 3, 2021 at 7:13 AM ]
The pair of WRs I wanted to see the 9ers pickup was Tamorrion Terry and Cade Johnson. The Seahawks grabbed them both.

Sure hope Watkins shows out because there is a real roster spot for him if he does.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
The pair of WRs I wanted to see the 9ers pickup was Tamorrion Terry and Cade Johnson. The Seahawks grabbed them both.

Sure hope Watkins shows out because there is a real roster spot for him if he does.

That honestly made me sick to see. Loved both those players. I think we'll have to be in the market for a burner and red zone size mismatch at both WR and TE in 2022.
I have a good feeling about this kid. Wouldn't be surprised to see him make the roster if we have any injury concerns at WR coming out of camp. Anxious to see what he can do for us.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

That honestly made me sick to see. Loved both those players. I think we'll have to be in the market for a burner and red zone size mismatch at both WR and TE in 2022.

I'll be shocked if both those guys make the SEA team....SF can poach off teams PS after cuts are made. I really like Johnson as that slot dude, he's got some Lockett to his game.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I'll be shocked if both those guys make the SEA team....SF can poach off teams PS after cuts are made. I really like Johnson as that slot dude, he's got some Lockett to his game.

I'd be a little surprised if they didn't. After their top 3 of Metcalf, Lockett, and Eskridge the only other guy with any chance is probably Freddie Swain. If they keep 6, both may make the squad.
I like what I see on this guy. Rooting for him in camp. He could be a UDFA steal.
Originally posted by DaniLeal:
James Jones had him as the 5th Best WR in the draft! 👀👀

Who did he have at #4? I presume Chase/Waddle/Smith are the top 3.

Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Who did he have at #4? I presume Chase/Waddle/Smith are the top 3.

Elijah Moore maybe.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
He doesn't seem that good. Just a possession receiver at a small school. Probably won't translate, he doesn't have 1 elite trait
I was hoping we'd take Tylan Wallace as he was slipping but we traded up for Sermon. I do like Watkins though, especially as a UDFA.
Seemed like a possession WR at first, but here he seems to have YAC ability as well.

[ Edited by ninerFate on May 8, 2021 at 8:30 AM ]
Originally posted by pd24:
He doesn't seem that good. Just a possession receiver at a small school. Probably won't translate, he doesn't have 1 elite trait

He's an UDFA.

I would say one very good trait is hands and ball skills.

Also he showed he can play at the Senior Bowl so the small school stuff isn't that big of a deal imo
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 8, 2021 at 8:34 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone