There are 243 users in the forums

Re-doing 2020 (e.g. a few terrible decisions that killed the 49ers)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by genus49:
Hindsight is 20/20. Glad you agreed. Rest of the post wasn't needed.

Trading Buckner and keeping Armstead was an obvious huge downgrade.

Yes however it wasn't Buckner for Armstead or even Buckner for Armstead and Ward.

We got Kinlaw out of the trade and retained Armstead, Ward and numerous other players we wouldn't be able to afford had we signed Buckner instead.

Team just went to the SB and wanted to retain as much of their starting D as possible without killing their cap flexibility.

Now people see the results of this season and suddenly the move was awful at the time. It wasn't. It was a tough move to swallow because we all knew Buckner was a great person and player but if you take your heart out of it and use your head the move made sense.

We were strong at IDL
We saw our defenses with Buckner and no Bosa/Ford(wasn't great results)

Why throw Aaron Donald like money at Buckner when you don't think he makes your defense dominant with his presence?

Colts could afford him. Smart move for them. We had some tough decisions to make. We made it. Now it remains to be seen how it looks long term.

Right now people b***hing about Armstead and Ward need to remember both of them combined this year make $13 million less than Buckner this season.

If people want to b***h wait til next year when at least AA and Ward's numbers jump and Buckner's drop a bit.

Buckner made the defense dominant last year.

I love me some DeFo but Warner, Sherman, and Bosa would have kept the defense great last season. All had arguably better years than DeFo. DeFo was a piece of a dominant defensive line last year that mainly looks worse this year due to losing every edge rushers. We aren't even having this conversation if our edge rushers are healthy.
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Injuries killed the Niners season. So it didn't matter what moves the Niners made in the offseason.

Agree and pretty much a useless thread. 15 Pro bowlers would not have helped if only 1-2 are on the field at any one time.
Should just start a "I did these moves in Madden so I am clearly the bestest GM in Universe!" Thread
Injuries has really killed this team. Look at the Steelers last year vs this year.
Originally posted by walker807:
I love me some DeFo but Warner, Sherman, and Bosa would have kept the defense great last season. All had arguably better years than DeFo. DeFo was a piece of a dominant defensive line last year that mainly looks worse this year due to losing every edge rushers. We aren't even having this conversation if our edge rushers are healthy.

I know he's not the most popular guy on this forum but everyone was saying that Thomas looked like a different guy in camp and some were expecting him to really have a good year. Even if he was just average, he was a part of the rotation. Every guy that is taken out of the rotation weakens the line.
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
1-Not signing Tom Brady when Shanahan wasn´t convinced about Garoppolo. In that case we´d have a QB than can stay healthy and at 43 is better than Jimmy.

2-Extending Jimmie Ward spending 9.5M per year leaving Tarvarius Moore on the bench.....what´s the plan for Moore?

3-Drafting an interior D-lineman (another one) in the 1st round with Tristan Wirfs available which forced us to trade for Trent Williams and now we´re forced to give him a huge extension.

4-Ignoring the C thinking that Ben Garland would be healthy the entire season.

Wow some guys are so insecure when someone wants to talk about the mistakes the FO has made

Jesus christ man...did you watch Tom this past game when the Saints were teeing off on him?

You think with our OL playing the way it has and the injuries we had at receiver/RB he'd be still healthy or effective right now?

And lol at being forced to trade for Trent Williams. What an awful move that was...
Hindsight is 20/20. Glad you agreed. Rest of the post wasn't needed.

Trading Buckner and keeping Armstead was an obvious huge downgrade.

Yes however it wasn't Buckner for Armstead or even Buckner for Armstead and Ward.

We got Kinlaw out of the trade and retained Armstead, Ward and numerous other players we wouldn't be able to afford had we signed Buckner instead.

Team just went to the SB and wanted to retain as much of their starting D as possible without killing their cap flexibility.

Now people see the results of this season and suddenly the move was awful at the time. It wasn't. It was a tough move to swallow because we all knew Buckner was a great person and player but if you take your heart out of it and use your head the move made sense.

We were strong at IDL
We saw our defenses with Buckner and no Bosa/Ford(wasn't great results)

Why throw Aaron Donald like money at Buckner when you don't think he makes your defense dominant with his presence?

Colts could afford him. Smart move for them. We had some tough decisions to make. We made it. Now it remains to be seen how it looks long term.

Right now people b***hing about Armstead and Ward need to remember both of them combined this year make $13 million less than Buckner this season.

If people want to b***h wait til next year when at least AA and Ward's numbers jump and Buckner's drop a bit.

Buckner made the defense dominant last year.

So he made it dominant last year but the 3 years before that? What was he waiting for?

Defense in 2018 was almost identical to what we had last year minus Bosa/Ford and Kwon/Greenlaw. How did that defense do?

There is 0 doubt in my mind the defense took the biggest hit with Bosa and then Ford being on the shelf.
If i had the winning lottery numbers from 11/11 on 11/10 i'd be a millionaire
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Should just start a "I did these moves in Madden so I am clearly the bestest GM in Universe!" Thread

Yeah just reset your PlayStation fellas and you can start your fantasy franchise over again this year
Perhaps the OP would have done better to slightly rephrase the opening post. Injuries have destroyed this season and I am not convinced that any team could have come through the damage we have had without looking dreadful. When assessing our rookies it is worth remembering that there was no preseasons etc and with Kinlaw that we lost our edge pass rush. Like, all of it.

It would be better, though, if posters eased up with the snarky comments.

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by walker807:

I know he's not the most popular guy on this forum but everyone was saying that Thomas looked like a different guy in camp and some were expecting him to really have a good year. Even if he was just average, he was a part of the rotation. Every guy that is taken out of the rotation weakens the line.

And through all of that, interior defensive line is still like the 8th concern on defense right now.
Originally posted by NC49er:
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Injuries killed the Niners season. So it didn't matter what moves the Niners made in the offseason.

Agree and pretty much a useless thread. 15 Pro bowlers would not have helped if only 1-2 are on the field at any one time.

exactly. all our moves dont matter when they all just get hurt. i dont like that people are trying to blame our failure this year on losing buckner an other offseason moves. if you watched the team last year an this year youd know thats not why.

AND
if we had bosa, ford, and blair playing.....kinlaw would be eating guys alive on that line.
How about Shanny and Lynch re-organizing the medical staff off season. How did that work out.
Actually you whiffed on a few other scenarios

1. I do not know why they did not re sign Emanuel Sanders 3 years 27 million?? The whole WR room blossomed when he arrived
2. Knowing LT was going to be a gaping hole, why trade down at 13 when Tristan Wirfs stud OT was on the board form IOWA?
3. Lastly it is beyond me why they wasted draft picks to get jordan willis?? so dumb
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Everything would just be fine if Bosa didn't get hurt that day.

There were some curious moves in the off-season but none of them were fatal to a playoff run, it's the injuries
Share 49ersWebzone