LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

2 TE sets and WR runs...why limit?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Would love to hear some thought about why Kyle seems to limit these playcalls based on personnel:

2 TE sets: we've seen that when Kittle's been out, Ross Dwelly can fill in admirably as a receiver. But when Kittle's in, Dwelly is non-existent in the passing game. Why is that? Wouldn't there be mismatches against LBs and some safeties Kyle could exploit?

WR runs: With Deebo out, bubble screens and WR runs/reverses significantly declined. But again, why? These plays are essentially open field RAC plays that I feel any WR can execute, but especially players with kick return experience (Taylor, James, Pettis). Maybe not as well as Deebo, but again, why limit.

Mullens may actually push the ball downfield more than Jimmy, but making a defense defend sideline to sideline will be important too.
I'm hoping to see more creative stuff in the passing game in 2021.
Originally posted by Blake_Fever:

WR runs: With Deebo out, bubble screens and WR runs/reverses significantly declined. But again, why? These plays are essentially open field RAC plays that I feel any WR can execute, but especially players with kick return experience (Taylor, James, Pettis). Maybe not as well as Deebo, but again, why limit.

Call me crazy, but I would like to see far less of these than we currently run, especially with Deebo on the field. If we are relying on these kind of plays to get our WRs in open space, we have a problem. Since Kyle can scheme anyone open, I'd rather see these guys get the ball in open space down the field.

Also, the manner in which we run these plays repeatedly for Deebo may be the reason he is always banged up. Would rather use him like a true WR not a hybrid.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Nov 23, 2020 at 9:01 AM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I'm hoping to see more creative stuff in the passing game in 2021.

Me too
Share 49ersWebzone