LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 283 users in the forums

Which Superbowl were the Niners closer to winning?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which Superbowl were the Niners closer to winning?

I am wondering what my fellow Webzoners think. This has been on my mind a bit lately... which Superbowl were the Niners closer to winning? On one hand you have the vs. Ravens where we trailed the whole game but had 4 chances from inside the 10 yard line to take the lead and with a potential defensive stand, the win. On the other hand you have vs. the Chiefs where we lead the whole game, but then choked in the 4th quarter. Hate to rip off the Bandaid, but what do you think?
Thats a tough one. I think last years was more disappointing being we had the lead and lost it compared to making a great comeback and coming up short. However both scenarios absolutely SUCK!
Last year for me. Watching our guys celebrating on the sidelines then failing to keep the lead
Ravens. Even if we stop the chiefs on 3rd and long, that offense is so F-ing dynamic, that 10 points in half a quarter is nothing, particularly at the end of a game when defenses tire
easily the Ravens one...we're on the 5 and fall to horrific play calling to some bozo who is now reaping the benefits of calling plays for Lamar Jackson
Originally posted by MannySoopa49ersnMD:
easily the Ravens one...we're on the 5 and fall to horrific play calling to some bozo who is now reaping the benefits of calling plays for Lamar Jackson
Could we have held the Ravens from getting into field goal range on their ensuing drive with about 2 minutes left though? That field goal would either be for the win or for the tie assuming the Niners go for 2 after the TD. The Ravens were moving the ball at will for a good chunk of that game...
[ Edited by mattster03 on Sep 15, 2020 at 9:05 AM ]
I feel like... We lost the Ravens Super Bowl because we started slow and launched an amazing comeback that we ran out of time on. If that team that showed up in the second half played that way the whole game, we would've swamped the Ravens. Incredible performance by Flacco though with clutch performances by his receivers.

Against the Chiefs, they were the more dangerous team. The strength of their team (Mahomes and the passing offense) simply proved to win out against our strength (pass rush and pass defense). Yeah, we should've and could've done more on offense, and I hate to say this, but their team's strength beat our team's strength in the fourth quarter when it mattered most. Being up 10 in the fourth quarter is what our defense is built for. All in all though... That was an all-time performance from Mahomes. I don't see any other QB in the NFL today completing that comeback.

With that said, I think the Ravens Super Bowl hurt more because it's a game we were the better team, on paper. Mahomes and the Chiefs matched up very well. Against the Ravens, I think we were the more complete team and, offensively, we had distinct advantages--the Ravens couldn't cover our most explosive offensive player (Vernon Davis), and the league hadn't figured out how to deal with the Read Option yet. And even with those advantages, we still had a very, very good power rushing offense with solid receivers and Kaep could make some throws.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
ravens...we were on the 5 yrd line and didnt give it to frank gore..fcuk harbaugh fcik kaepernick
[ Edited by dmax on Sep 15, 2020 at 9:13 AM ]
Originally posted by mattster03:
Originally posted by MannySoopa49ersnMD:
Could we have held the Ravens from getting into field goal range on their ensuing drive with about 2 minutes left though? That field goal would either be for the win or for the tie assuming the Niners go for 2 after the TD. The Ravens were moving the ball at will for a good chunk of that game...

Our defense had turned the corner at that point and all the momentum would have been sucked outta the Ravens IMO
I think we hold and win

Crazy to imagine how different this 2020 team would be with that 2013 SB win though.
[ Edited by MannySoopa49ersnMD on Sep 15, 2020 at 9:23 AM ]
I think the Ravens game. They were moving the ball on the ground and had a 1st and goal from the 7. Then I think we tried 4 straight passes.

Lol do we rally need this?
There is no way the Ravens game was closer.

You don't even know what happens if we did score. Ravens still had time, granted not a lot but just under 2 minutes with 2 time outs...enough time to make something happen. Score was 29 to 34 at that point. We score we're going for 2...so that's another assumption that we have to make that and then it just gives them a FG to tie. TD to win. Justin Tucker in a dome....they wouldn't have to get far.

KC game we led most of the way and had a 10 point lead with like 7 minutes left to play. We get the stop on 3rd and 15 and we win. 1 play.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
There is no way the Ravens game was closer.

You don't even know what happens if we did score. Ravens still had time, granted not a lot but just under 2 minutes with 2 time outs...enough time to make something happen. Score was 29 to 34 at that point. We score we're going for 2...so that's another assumption that we have to make that and then it just gives them a FG to tie. TD to win. Justin Tucker in a dome....they wouldn't have to get far.

KC game we led most of the way and had a 10 point lead with like 7 minutes left to play. We get the stop on 3rd and 15 and we win. 1 play.

Last year. They had no business losing that game, but Kyle and the rest of the chokers found a way in the fourth quarter.

As for the ravens' one, they put themselves in too big of a hole early in the game, so it would have taken a miracle to come back and win. They came close though, which is why that loss will forever sting.
I don't know. And then I think of how the 2011 team probably could've beat the Pats, and the 2013 one probably would have sandblasted the Broncos. This thread just makes me want to die.
[ Edited by kelson49er on Sep 15, 2020 at 12:09 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone