There are 188 users in the forums

Kwon Alexander vs Dre Greenlaw

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Kwon Alexander vs Dre Greenlaw

Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
Kwon has been doing this consistently. Love Dre but how many times have we had guys burst on the seen their first year then fizzle out. Future looks bright, but wanna see him do it again before we put all our eggs in that basket.

Was just going to say this. All we have to do is look at 2017. Colbert looked like a legit starting quality safety and completely fell off a cliff the next season.

Dre is extremely likeable both on and off the field but let's not crown him just yet. Kwon has been doing this his whole career.

Yup and remember Rashard Robinson. Everyone was crowning him as the steal of the draft. PFF hyped him up like crazy his rookie year too.
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Kwon has been doing this consistently. Love Dre but how many times have we had guys burst on the seen their first year then fizzle out. Future looks bright, but wanna see him do it again before we put all our eggs in that basket.

Was just going to say this. All we have to do is look at 2017. Colbert looked like a legit starting quality safety and completely fell off a cliff the next season.

Dre is extremely likeable both on and off the field but let's not crown him just yet. Kwon has been doing this his whole career.

Yup and remember Rashard Robinson. Everyone was crowning him as the steal of the draft. PFF hyped him up like crazy his rookie year too.

Neither of those two were as consistent as Greenlaw was his rookie season.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Robert Saleh in 2020...hold my beer.

If you can't see, Seattle played base 69% last year. 2nd was the Cards at 38%. NFL average is 27%.

It does not account for big S-Nickel packages.

We also need to consider K'Waun Williams will be a FA next year and he's not going to be cheap.

I can't see Saleh using base personnel in obvious passing downs. Even though the SAM (Kwon or Dre) is athletic enough to not look silly covering a slot WR, the better matchup is putting KWilliams on the field in place of the SAM imo. Trying to man cover with a LB vs a slot WR is usually a mismatch. Perhaps 1st/2nd down when there is a threat to of the run, Saleh can use base versus 3WR.

CKupp/LFitzgerald/TLockette vs a LB in man coverage is a win for the offense. The defense last season was so zone dominant that perhaps they don't care the QB knows he is about to see a zone coverage (base vs 3WR).

I don't know how much this will increase but I think Kwon's injuries definitely skewed it more towards nickel with Williams and because we had a coach in Woods who knew how to coach them up and call it.

2 downs is 66%. I don't see it being extreme like Seattle but I have a sneaky suspicion we might end up closer to the Cards around 40%.

It's impossible to predict run-pass downs anymore. I believe the new data shows teams pass more on first downs?

If everyone is healthy and with Woods gone, it wouldn't surprise me to see a shift here since Saleh will have 3 LB's and a SS who can cover and 3 of those guys have worn the green dot on their helmet...I also don't think Saleh is well versed in more exotic coverages so he might stick to what he knows best. LB-centric. More base.

But it'll be fun to keep tabs on.

As to the winner of the WILL, always follow the money and draft positions first. It'll be Kwon with Greenlaw at SAM.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 24, 2020 at 6:34 AM ]
Originally posted by SFrush:
Neither of those two were as consistent as Greenlaw was his rookie season.

It's hard to know for sure unless youre zeroing in on him every time our defense is on the field .

Offenses now have a full year of play to study. If they see openings, they're gonna try to expose him. If he's as legit as we think then he's gonna just ball out and do what he does.
Originally posted by thl408:
Sometimes I think writers get inspiration from this forum.

(snippet of article written 5/21)
https://theathletic.com/1828640/2020/05/21/can-dre-greenlaw-and-kwon-alexander-spearhead-more-49ers-three-linebacker-sets/
At the moment, middle (Mike) linebacker Fred Warner has his name set in stone, but the 49ers' weakside (Will) and strongside (Sam) linebacker slots remain undetermined. Whenever the defense employs its nickel package — which happens on the majority of snaps — an extra defensive back replaces the Sam linebacker.

That means that the winner of the looming battle between Alexander and Greenlaw is likely to see considerably more playing time in 2020.

PFF awarded Greenlaw the higher overall defensive grade, primarily thanks to excellent tackling — he ranked in the top-five of tackling efficiency rankings, missing only one stop over those four games. Meanwhile, Alexander did not tackle efficiently, ranking near the bottom of the NFL's linebackers in that metric.

But when healthy, Alexander was one of the league's best linebackers in coverage. He allowed the second-lowest passer rating in football (67.4) before his pectoral tear, even while coming off a 2018 ACL tear. Greenlaw is no slouch in coverage — his overtime interception in Week 10 against Seattle is an under-appreciated highlight of the 2019 season — but he isn't breaking up passes at Alexander's level yet.

You think?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Just refining my imbed skills.

Originally posted by Giedi:
Just refining my imbed skills.

Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I think Kwon is slightly better at coverage, but Dre is MUCH better at tackling. I'd take Dre, but I'm glad we have both (for now).

Just re-watched the Superbowl (for the 49th time) and I can not believe how bad Kwon played in that game. So many arm tackles wiffed. It's hard to say if the peck injury was still in the back of his head a bit, but I did not notice him missing that many tackles in the beginning of the year.
I'm curious to see how this LB competition plays out. Unless Dre has some major setback I would expect to see him get the majority of snaps at WILL.
Originally posted by GangstaGangsta:
I think Kwon is slightly better at coverage, but Dre is MUCH better at tackling. I'd take Dre, but I'm glad we have both (for now).

Just re-watched the Superbowl (for the 49th time) and I can not believe how bad Kwon played in that game. So many arm tackles wiffed. It's hard to say if the peck injury was still in the back of his head a bit, but I did not notice him missing that many tackles in the beginning of the year.
I'm curious to see how this LB competition plays out. Unless Dre has some major setback I would expect to see him get the majority of snaps at WILL.

He was actually known for missed tackling before he got here. It didn't show early but the bad habits came back.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by GangstaGangsta:

He was actually known for missed tackling before he got here. It didn't show early but the bad habits came back.
It was reported after the Super Bowl that he played with a torn bicep.

Originally posted by Izyniner:

I mean we all know he had a torn bicep...that s**t wasn't close to 100% by the time of the Super Bowl. He's always been a poor tackler though. Go ask any Tampa Bay fan. Dude is great in coverage, that's why SF paid him. IMO Dre is almost as good in coverage and is a much better tackler, if he can show it again this yr Kwon is gone (or going to have to take a massive pay cut).

Right now we have a bad ass LBer corp so it's a good problem to have.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I mean we all know he had a torn bicep...that s**t wasn't close to 100% by the time of the Super Bowl. He's always been a poor tackler though. Go ask any Tampa Bay fan. Dude is great in coverage, that's why SF paid him. IMO Dre is almost as good in coverage and is a much better tackler, if he can show it again this yr Kwon is gone (or going to have to take a massive pay cut).

I think it was the pec we knew about, but the bicep part didn't come out until after the SB, right?

He had a torn pectoral muscle which he came back early from then he tore a bicep during the practice leading up to the Super bowl.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

I think it was the pec we knew about, but the bicep part didn't come out until after the SB, right?
Yep I feel the coaching staff made two bad players decision with Kwon and Person. Might have been a different outcome.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Yep I feel the coaching staff made two bad players decision with Kwon and Person. Might have been a different outcome.

Yeah both were clearly not healthy,. The Person one was rough since Brunskill played some well all year, even though I get why they did it.
Share 49ersWebzone