There are 214 users in the forums

How to defend Chiefs Offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How to defend Chiefs Offense?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by ady2glude707:
Possibly do what the Chargers have done on defense?
https://twitter.com/Scott_Geelan/status/1220466933889490944

San Diego put out the blueprint to limiting that offense the way Chicago did to the Rams last season. San Diego also runs largely the same scheme so there should be plenty for Saleh to utilize but guys are still going to have execute at a high level and avoid lapses and miscues in coverage.

Since we play the same scheme, we have to change it up. Some delayed blitzes like NE would be beneficial.
According to the several sessions of Madden I have played, rushing 4 and playing man coverage is the best.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Step 1. Look up at what the Tennessee defense did against the Chiefs.

Step 2. Don't do that.

or did what they did 1st quarter, but not the other quarters
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
or did what they did 1st quarter, but not the other quarters

Overall their plan was a mess. Early on it was KC making mistakes rather than Tennessee playing super well defensively. Pees announced his retirement after the game but I'm pretty sure he checked out at least a few days before it.
Smash Mahomes.
Keep Mahomes contained with the DL and make em work.
Play 2 deep safeties this game with the occasional blitz. Spy kwon on him and take away kelce
Pretty good thread I found on how the Niners Defense can matchup against KC:

https://twitter.com/Scott_Geelan/status/1220466933889490944

It's funny I was thinking yesterday about which defenses are similar to ours that have played KC, and I thought of the Chargers. I looked it up, and they had relative success against them in their past 3 meetings. We have better personnel, which will be the difference I think, especially with speed at LB's and the pass rush. I think our defense will have some success in the SB.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We just got to keep doing what we've been doing all year and may the best team win.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Jan 24, 2020 at 1:07 AM ]
Originally posted by dirtysouthmaui:
Play 2 deep safeties this game with the occasional blitz. Spy kwon on him and take away kelce

Whst you just said is not possible. You can not play 2 deep, put a spy, and guard the shallow-intermediate with 4 defenders.

They can not spy mahomes. If they do, mahomes will break SB records.

Active hands. Know that he is always trying to extend the play and side arm it. If we get a few nice bat downs that would do wonders for our chances. His 3-4 miracle plays are killer each game. Those will literally be a lost of down or a touchdown
Oh Mahomes, he's the greatest QB in the world at the present. Ross could win an Olympic gold medal with his speed. Kelce is the greatest tight end since Mike Ditka. You know something, go out and kick their a----- and bring back #6.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Oh Mahomes, he's the greatest QB in the world at the present. Ross could win an Olympic gold medal with his speed. Kelce is the greatest tight end since Mike Ditka. You know something, go out and kick their a----- and bring back #6.
AMEN TO THIS...! Search and Destroy mahomes and his wr....Destroy!
Originally posted by Jubwub88:
Active hands. Know that he is always trying to extend the play and side arm it. If we get a few nice bat downs that would do wonders for our chances. His 3-4 miracle plays are killer each game. Those will literally be a lost of down or a touchdown

I watched some of their games and I see why they weren't considered a top five team all year by many until now that BAL and NE were eliminated in the AFC. The teams they played with that bye week gifted them are not anything like SF. We are going to paste these guys a$$es! All this media hype and I can't wait to see what we do to this team. I just hope that guys can keep their mouths shut a bit after the game so we can win with class like jed wants but I gotta admit that I'd want to cuss and talk major smack after all the crap said about our guys leading into this game. SMH
I seen a graph on the success Kc has throwing the ball. Most of their success comes from the short and intermediate middle of the field. The only spot outside the numbers where they had above league average success is deep on Sherm's side. All other outside throws were either at or below league average for success. The cover 3 forces teams to throw outside the numbers and may be the reason why defenses, such as the Chargers, have had success against the KC offense. As long as our pass rushers consistently get pressure in Mahomes face, I think we'll have success.

I would imagine that KC is probably going to come out running screens and bootlegs to try and neutralize our pass rush. Our secondary just needs to stay disciplined and clean up with solid tackling.
Share 49ersWebzone