LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 228 users in the forums

How does this current 49ers defensive line compare to the 1997 49ers defensive line?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How does this current 49ers defensive line compare to the 1997 49ers defensive line?

Which DL is better?

1997 DL:
Bryant Young
Dana Stubblefield
Chris Doleman
Kevin Greene
Roy Barker
Junior Bryant
Greene was one of those veteran signings at the end of his career, as was Doleman (though Doleman had an incredible 3 year run here). The nostalgia in me is inclined to vote 97, but this year's d line is the best 49ers d online I've personally seen, primarily due to their speed, strength, and overall athleticism
It's a good comparison, 3 1st rd picks and a 4th rounder.
The real question is anyone on this line as good as Dana? Bosa? Buckner? I mean Bosa/Stubblefield are both DROY, we can only hope Bosa has as much success. Where I think this years squad started out better is with Blair and DJ, as well as Solly. The depth is just wild.
This years line is much more impactful and disruptive.

The comparison should be with 1975 gold rush webb/hart/hardman/elam.
  • Kyzen
Lol, this DL would smash the hell out of the '97 squad and its not even close. More than straight accross the board, the depth on this team is so much better that the depth guys could hang with that starting unit of '97.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
This years line is much more impactful and disruptive.

The comparison should be with 1975 gold rush webb/hart/hardman/elam.

1984 with Dean, Big hands Johnson, Board, Manu, Stucky, these guys caused a lot of caos.
That 97 d-line was one of my all time favorites. I'm conflicted. Interior I would go with Stubby and Young. As much as Doleman and Barker racked up sacks, Ford and Bosa are faster and more disruptive. As entire unit I'm just not sure.
Originally posted by facestabber:
That 97 d-line was one of my all time favorites. I'm conflicted. Interior I would go with Stubby and Young. As much as Doleman and Barker racked up sacks, Ford and Bosa are faster and more disruptive. As entire unit I'm just not sure.

This is what I thought. The real thing though is the depth. We can just keep sending guys when completely healthy and if Ford remained healthy all year, I think someone on that Dline would've won DPOY like Stubblefield. Hopefully we can see this Dline over a full 16 game season + playoff run (though Blair will likely miss some of the regular season if we resign him).

I really wish I could've saw that Gold Rush defense. I know the names, but can anyone give me some player comps? 1984 was unreal as well. Hopefully we can go all the way to the Super Bowl and do what they did against Marino in their Super Bowl.
The 1984 DL was the best of all-time. Coached by George Seifert, they rotated 8 stars: FRED DEAN, DWAINE BOARD, LAWRENCE PILLERS, GARY "BIG HANDS" JOHNSON, MICHAEL CARTER, MANU TUIASOSOPO, JIM STUCKEY, JEFF STOVER. LOUIE KELCHER rarely go to play. They were so great because they were backed up by the LBs George also rotated: HACKSAW REYNOLDS, KEENA TURNER, DAN BUNZ, RIKI ELLISON, TODD SHELL, MILT MCCOLL, JIM FAHNHORST, MIKE WALTER, RON FERRARI.

The secondary wasn't very shabby either. All 4 starters made the Pro Bowl: RONNIE LOTT, ERIC WRIGHT, DWIGHT HICKS AND CARLTON WILLIAMSON. Backed up by the great JEFF FULLER and MARIO CLARK, DANA MCLEMORE and TOM HOLMOE.

The best defense of ALL-TIME. Shut out the soon to be 1985 Bears 23-0 before swamping unbeatable DAN MARINO 38-16.
[ Edited by frenchtoast on Jan 18, 2020 at 8:12 AM ]

You couldn't find a better DL than 97??? Those were all names but mostly just that. Give me BY and the 19 DL.
I watched that 1998 playoff game last night and was stunned by the array of talent on the field. The Niners D had Doleman and Haley who are both HOF players and the Packers had Reggie White. Three HOF pass rushers with a total of 449 sacks between them (each over 100 ). Each team had a HOF QB and the Niners had 2 HOF receivers. Really impressive. BY was injured so he didn't play but he's another guy that may be in the HOF some day.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Jan 18, 2020 at 8:27 AM ]
1976 DL

San Francisco's defense dined on the Rams on a Monday Night in 1976. Rams quarterback James Harris spent the evening running for his life. The 49ers defensive front four, nicknamed "The Gold Rush" that season, mauled Harris, collecting 10 sacks on the way to a 16-0 shutout of Los Angeles. Tommy Hart spent most of the evening in the Rams backfield. He collected six individual sacks, forced two fumbles and recovered one loose ball.

Harassing the quarterback was a San Francisco specialty in 1976 as defensive linemen Hart, Cleveland Elam, Cedrick Hardman and Jimmy Webb ("The Gold Rush") bullied opposing quarterbacks and set an "unofficial" NFL record by collecting 57 sacks (sacks became an official NFL statistic in 1982) during the 14-game season. Hart notched 16 sacks, was named All Pro, and won the Len Eshmont Award.

By Joe Hession, 49ers Museum historian
[ Edited by 60sFan on Jan 18, 2020 at 8:50 AM ]
Great question! i was about to post the same thing. This D-line is incredibly strong, fast, young and relentless. I don't think i ever saw a D-line so talented before. Even with other NFL teams. Lynch and Shanny built a great defense. So glad that they recognize that the games are won in the trenches.
Originally posted by IHATELOWELLCOHN:
You couldn't find a better DL than 97??? Those were all names but mostly just that. Give me BY and the 19 DL.

I didn't start watching the Niners until the mid 90s.

The 97 DL is more than just names. This line hold the opponent running to just 3.5 yards a carry. The defense had 54 sacks, including:
Stubblefield: 15.0 sacks, Defensive Player of the Year
Doleman: 12.0 sacks (Pro Bowl)
Kevin Greene: 10.5 (From 1994 to 1998, he was a pro bowler except 1997. He didn't have an off year, not making to the pro bowl because he didn't start. He was the situational pass rusher)
Bryant Young: only had 4.0 sacks that year, but we all know how good and consistent he was. He was considered to be the best DT until the injury in 1998. He had 11.5 the year before, and 9.5 and 11.0 sacks the two years after 1997.
Roy Barker: Only 5.0 sacks because Kevin Greene replaced him on passing down. He had 12.5 sacks the year before and 12 sacks the year after

The knock on them is they didn't do a good job in the playoff.
Share 49ersWebzone