Having both AFC games on Saturday and both NFC games on Sunday this weekend seems unusual. Aren't they always split? Probably also motivated by the networks.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Jan 3, 2020 at 11:49 PM ]
There are 832 users in the forums
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Last year KC and the Saints were the #1 seeds. KC played their divisional game on Saturday and NO played Sunday. I'd guess the decisions are 95% motivated by TV network preferences.
Having both AFC games on Saturday and both NFC games on Sunday this weekend seems unusual. Aren't they always split? Probably also motivated by the networks.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:Last year KC and the Saints were the #1 seeds. KC played their divisional game on Saturday and NO played Sunday. I'd guess the decisions are 95% motivated by TV network preferences.
Having both AFC games on Saturday and both NFC games on Sunday this weekend seems unusual. Aren't they always split? Probably also motivated by the networks.
Originally posted by Kyzen:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Last year KC and the Saints were the #1 seeds. KC played their divisional game on Saturday and NO played Sunday. I'd guess the decisions are 95% motivated by TV network preferences.
Having both AFC games on Saturday and both NFC games on Sunday this weekend seems unusual. Aren't they always split? Probably also motivated by the networks.
I don't ever remember a wilcard weekend when both conferences played on the same day. It's usually always divided up with one game of each conference each day.
It does seem weird this year.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:Last year KC and the Saints were the #1 seeds. KC played their divisional game on Saturday and NO played Sunday. I'd guess the decisions are 95% motivated by TV network preferences.
Having both AFC games on Saturday and both NFC games on Sunday this weekend seems unusual. Aren't they always split? Probably also motivated by the networks.
Originally posted by Kyzen:Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:Last year KC and the Saints were the #1 seeds. KC played their divisional game on Saturday and NO played Sunday. I'd guess the decisions are 95% motivated by TV network preferences.
Having both AFC games on Saturday and both NFC games on Sunday this weekend seems unusual. Aren't they always split? Probably also motivated by the networks.
I don't ever remember a wilcard weekend when both conferences played on the same day. It's usually always divided up with one game of each conference each day.
It does seem weird this year.
Originally posted by 49erfaninPA:I think the NFL made both NFC games on Sunday due partly to the timing of the 49ers/SEA game. That game wasn't over until midnight east coast time and I think for competitive balance reasons and possible travel considerations the NFL did this scheduling.
That being said, I've always been a proponent of scheduling both games from one conference on one day, and then the same conference on the same day the following week. For example, this year on WC Weekend it's AFC Saturday then NFC Sunday. That gives both teams in each game the same number of days between games. Then what I would like to see is that on the Divisional Round, the AFC games were Saturday and NFC games on Sunday, again giving all those playing teams the same number of days. Next year, those days/conferences flip days.
But, since the 49ers benefit this year from the scheduling, I'm good with it as it is
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:The bottom line.
* Our divisional round opponents get 6 days to prepare for us and have to travel also.
* We get 8 days to prepare for the NFC Championship game because we play the divisional round on Saturday. Of course we don't have to travel either with the #1 seed.
The scheduling appears to help us BOTH weeks.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:I'm not sure if this is related, but the FBS championship is in the Super Dome and that may have played a part in the scheduling as well.
But I agree that the Niners literally have every advantage by securing the #1 spot.