LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 297 users in the forums

Was going through the Tomsula/Kelly years the best for us?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
Shanahan >>>> Harbaugh, not even a question

I like both. BUT, and I stated this in another forum, Harb's never held back his yelling at the refs. You damn well know this gets stored in their minds for questionable calls, and would not hesitate to toss a flag if it's against the Niners, and turn their heads if it could be against an opponent.
Hell no it wasnt

Really? Are you sure? You can only play with what you have. Harbaugh made NFC Championship games and the Super Bowl with Alex Smith and Kaepernick. Those are absolute scrubs at QB. To make it that far with those guys would indicate an incredible coach IMO. Kyle has Garoppolo who is a real NFL QB. No small thing IMO. That's a big deal. He has a lot more to work with.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Dec 31, 2019 at 10:30 PM ]
You have to consider the whole picture... It took years of futility and firing multiple coaches and Baalke for Jed to accept responsibility for his role in micromanaging and destroying the team. Prior to that he kept blaming everyone else. Finally, Jed agreed to step back and was able to land a quality GM and coach.

Was it necessary to go through so many bad coaches and losing seasons while rebuilding, probably not. But in terms of teaching young Jed his limits, it was.

Now in terms of comparing Harbaugh and Shanahan... It's like comparing Roosevelt and Lincoln as presidents. Times and situations are different. Harbaugh had to deal with an immature Jed, Baalke as the GM, and Smith and Kaepernick as QBs. He hired Manusky and Fangio as his assistants, took the team to the superbowl, and got NFL coach of the year in 2011. Shanahan is in a much more favorable situation and would likely accomplish a lot more with Jed stepping back, Lynch as a GM, and Garoppolo as the QB.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Fresh49:
Hell no it wasnt

This.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Really? Are you sure? You can only play with what you have. Harbaugh made NFC Championship games and the Super Bowl with Alex Smith and Kaepernick. Those are absolute scrubs at QB. To make it that far with those guys would indicate an incredible coach IMO. Kyle has Garoppolo who is a real NFL QB. No small thing IMO. That's a big deal. He has a lot more to work with.

Both are excellent coaches in their own ways. Rooting for Michigan tomorrow!
Originally posted by 49erswin:
You have to consider the whole picture... It took years of futility and firing multiple coaches and Baalke for Jed to accept responsibility for his role in micromanaging and destroying the team. Prior to that he kept blaming everyone else. Finally, Jed agreed to step back and was able to land a quality GM and coach.

Was it necessary to go through so many bad coaches and losing seasons while rebuilding, probably not. But in terms of teaching young Jed his limits, it was.

Now in terms of comparing Harbaugh and Shanahan... It's like comparing Roosevelt and Lincoln as presidents. Times and situations are different. Harbaugh had to deal with an immature Jed, Baalke as the GM, and Smith and Kaepernick as QBs. He hired Manusky and Fangio as his assistants, took the team to the superbowl, and got NFL coach of the year in 2011. Shanahan is in a much more favorable situation and would likely accomplish a lot more with Jed stepping back, Lynch as a GM, and Garoppolo as the QB.

Some great points. Couldn't agree more on Jed. Hopefully he keeps learning and growing. No rash decisions the first bad year we have under Lynchahann.
Originally posted by Niners_D:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Never forget

Good lord, at first I thought it was on a loop, but then I noticed different people walking behind Tomsula. That's an awful lot of confusion going on for one man.

He just looks so lost. Good lord save me, I laughed for a good 5 minutes. The man was a good position coach but not fit to be a HC.
[ Edited by PuckFarag10 on Jan 1, 2020 at 12:20 AM ]
  • Kyzen
Saw him on the Washington sidelines last weekend.

WHHHAAAATTT? Kap was Harbaugh's second-round hand-picked Golden Boy. Harb's brilliant Vision was Conquering the world with Romans power run gimmick read-option Las Vegas b******* offense.

And now you're trying to rewrite history making it seem like that was the hand he was dealt? Come on man.

Harbs is a stooge drawing up an offensive Playbook and its the reason he will never be a pro coach again.

Only smart thing he did was let fangio coach up his Hall of Fame defensive personnel. So we had a couple years watching Willis Bowman JSmith Asmith Brooks Whitner Ray Ray put the hurt on people. That's all he ever did for this franchise.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Jan 1, 2020 at 6:34 AM ]

Originally posted by KittleMeThis:
I like Shanahan and Jimmy more than Kap and Harbaugh.

But i miss that Fangio 3-4 Defense only cause of Bow and Willis.

This. I'm not a big fan of the 4-3 defense.

Harbaugh came into a ready made playoff team. There was a lot of talent already on the team when Harbaugh took over. They just needed the right coach to bring it all together. KS has had to rebuild. He still amazes me with his offensive creativity. Harbaugh and Roman's offense was creative the 1st year but started to be exposed afterwards. Kyle S has been doing this for years and still shows some great creativity every game. Personally, I put him up there with Sean Peyton offensively.

Just my .02 though
There's no question that Harbaugh's first 3 years felt magical to us all...a fanbase that had grown too accustomed to losing. I will say if there was a guiding light to going through Chip and Jim Tomsula and even Harbaugh's tenure, it was it taught Jed how a team should be ran versus how it shouldn't by it's owner. Based on what we've seen the last 3 years, he looks to have learned that lesson.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Jan 1, 2020 at 7:52 AM ]
LOL, no it wasn't. It was good for Jed, but not for us. Jed learned. We already knew what was going to happen.
Wonder if Trent Baalke learned anything from this?
Share 49ersWebzone